Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:36:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canada - Saudi Arabia dispute ?  (Read 2055 times)
Aud3L
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:32:18 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2018, 09:08:56 PM by Audrey »

Huh??
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:32:44 PM »

Good on Canada. Let's hope they (and all the west) put the entire bunch - the KSA, Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt - out to pasture. Cancel their security and military deals, freeze their leaders' bank accounts and seize their London property etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »

Good on Canada. Let's hope they (and all the west) put the entire bunch - the KSA, Qatar, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt - out to pasture. Cancel their security and military deals, freeze their leaders' bank accounts and seize their London property etc.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:27:31 AM »

Agree. Add sanctions on Saudi Arabia for spreading extremist ideology (wahhabism) and go after private Saudi clans and individuals who support ISIS in any form.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »

Agree. Add sanctions on Saudi Arabia for spreading extremist ideology (wahhabism) and go after private Saudi clans and individuals who support ISIS in any form.

Obviously all of the Gulf states are deeply flawed, but surely you, Mohamed, of all people, know that as oil-rich custodians of Mecca and Medina, the Sauds will have no problem finding new friends. Is a Chinese-dominated Middle East what we want?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »

These guys totally didn't have anything to do with 9/11.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:14:43 PM »

good thread on the craziness of Saudi media right now:

apparently Jordan Peterson is a political prisoner now? News to me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »

See, that right there, that's just funny to the rest of the world.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:27 PM »

apparently Jordan Peterson is a political prisoner now? News to me.
If only that were true. Then the crisis can be resolved by a prisoner exchange. The Badawis come to Canada, Peterson goes to Saudi Arabia. Everyone goes where they would be most happy.

Obviously all of the Gulf states are deeply flawed, but surely you, Mohamed, of all people, know that as oil-rich custodians of Mecca and Medina, the Sauds will have no problem finding new friends. Is a Chinese-dominated Middle East what we want?
China won't be their "friend". At most, China will be their biggest customer while they dump billions more into green technology to break their own habit. And unlike in the US, there's absolutely no one - not in the Politburo, not in the PLA, and certainly not the average Zhang on the street - who wants to get involved in the sh!tshow that's the Middle East.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 12:58:23 AM »

Is Jordan Peterson going to convert his flock into salafis?
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 07:00:51 PM »

I, for one, was not expecting the great Geopolitical Fight of 2018 to be between the Canadians and the Saudis
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:48:58 AM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »

Good on Canada. Justin Truduea once again proves himself one of the greatest world leaders today, especially with such a poor slate of leaders.

Canada is still selling $12 billion in military materiel to the Saudis.  Smiley

I personally think the ethics of the sale is very complicated, but this is typical of the Trudeau Liberals (not that they asked for this over reaction from the Saudi Government) be big on symbolism and much less clear on actual substance.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 06:58:38 AM »

I personally think the ethics of the sale is very complicated, but this is typical of the Trudeau Liberals (not that they asked for this over reaction from the Saudi Government) be big on symbolism and much less clear on actual substance.

I did say "especially with such a poor slate of leaders" Tongue Canada is, as of today, one of the only western nations bold enough to hurt the bloated egos of the Saudi leaders and make even a little stand against their terrible regime.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »

The tweet by the Canadian foreign ministry was really just a basic canned remark made only because the relatives of the imprisoned live in Canada. Justin Trudeau's response was equally bland. This "dispute" is almost entirely about Saudi Arabia and MBS flexing their muscles by sanctioning a Western middle power. It has almost no meaningful economic or political impact beyond increasing Saudi Arabia's international stature. Personally, I think it is amazing foreign policy on the part of MBS, as long as they don't try to get too cute.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 08:05:48 AM »

Please use a more gender-inclusive term. Leader implies leading and that is a strongly patriarchal concept used to approbate violence and oppression. Maybe guide or shepherd would be better?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:11 AM »

The tweet by the Canadian foreign ministry was really just a basic canned remark made only because the relatives of the imprisoned live in Canada. Justin Trudeau's response was equally bland. This "dispute" is almost entirely about Saudi Arabia and MBS flexing their muscles by sanctioning a Western middle power. It has almost no meaningful economic or political impact beyond increasing Saudi Arabia's international stature. Personally, I think it is amazing foreign policy on the part of MBS, as long as they don't try to get too cute.

So you’d say this spat is largely for KSA domestic consumption?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »

I suspect they are also trying to ensure that there is no foreign backlash.  I haven't read this anywhere, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Saudi Arabia went after Canada who are in the G7, but by a fair bit are the smallest member of the G7. So, this was a way to send a message to the advanced economic nations to 'not interfere in their internal affairs' by going after the smallest nation with the credibility of being in the G7.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »

The right wing media is not happy

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »

The state media propaganda is for domestic consumption, the sanctions, and their excessively public nature, (e.g instructing portfolio managers to dump Canadian assets at. "all costs", even if the cost is miniscule) are certainly not. Canada is just a convenient target (conveniently-timed tweet, Western country, in most of the cool kids' clubs, slightly sour relations with the US right now, not in the EU, unimportant trading relationship) that provides an excuse for a display of power. The economic impact is practically nil, but it sets an example to the rest of the world and shows that a new regime is in place in Riyadh. MBS is pulling a bit from the Kim Jong Un playbook, and I have never considered Kim to be an irrational actor. In fact, I think Kim is competent and rational. It basically says, we are Saudi Arabia, custodians of Mecca and Medina, leading regional power, and we will not be disrespected.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »

Sounds good to me!

When Trudeau eventually bows down and grovels to the king, begging for mercy, Jagmeet can run on this and do very well.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »

Sounds good to me!

When Trudeau eventually bows down and grovels to the king, begging for mercy, Jagmeet can run on this and do very well.

I'd support this, but I really hope he doesn't mean Iran by "elsewhere". If I was a Canadian I'd definitely want my PM to stand up for my country in the most forceful manner against this disrespect, though.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »

I did say "especially with such a poor slate of leaders" Tongue Canada is, as of today, one of the only western nations bold enough to hurt the bloated egos of the Saudi leaders and make even a little stand against their terrible regime.

Would I like to have America able to take a stand against Saudi Arabia? Yes. Realistically, can we afford to push Saudi Arabia to China? No. That would result in a great threat to the United States, to Israelis, and to Palestinians. We would hope that Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, and Kuwait could join us in a third alliance, but I would not gamble one bird in the hand for two in the bush.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »

Would I like to have America able to take a stand against Saudi Arabia? Yes. Realistically, can we afford to push Saudi Arabia to China? No. That would result in a great threat to the United States, to Israelis, and to Palestinians. We would hope that Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, and Kuwait could join us in a third alliance, but I would not gamble one bird in the hand for two in the bush.

China's involvement in the Middle East is rather minimal. The only other power that involves itself in the region is Russia, and they are more aligned with the Iranians. The Saudis are rather like the Turks. We've got our feet on their balls right now but the Turkish are still less enthused about closing Incirlik air base than we are.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 07:00:18 PM »

I can't f***ing believe that the Saudis threatened to basically 9/11 Canada.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies