is computer code speech?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:30:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  is computer code speech?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: is computer code speech?
yes, of course

yes, but...

no

i don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: is computer code speech?  (Read 1859 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »

If your strategy is to paint me into a corner by using the printed gun example, it's not going to work. I will agree that like in your abortion example, restrictions on printing weapons can be seen as an attack on gun ownership (or whatever -- I don't really care about this case). That really has nothing to do with whether or not code is speech, though. Yes, you can make some weird argument that printing guns is some sort of political statement, but it's not true that every part of making a political statement is speech.

Computer code is agnostic to inputs/outputs/usage much more than a book is. The implementation and end usage of books and computer code are totally different. Nobody ever reads computer code. Computer code is often nested in software architecture that nobody besides software developers ever looks at. Even if the outputs of code may be widely consumed, the code itself is never something that's meant to be distributed to a wider audience (even in the case where computer software is mass distributed, it's very rare for people to go behind the scenes and look at the code). Nobody writes a book that isn't meant to be read, or is embedded within a system of other books to produce some complex output, and it's rare for books meant as "speech" to not be distributable to a wider audience. That's what makes books and code fundamentally different.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »

A lot of weird neutral data is free speech though according to Federal courts. Phone book lists, lists of drug prices, TV ratings, photographs, video games (which involves coding). One of the implications of free speech is the right to share information. Computer code is information.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies