Between SS privatization & SS state opt-out, which would you prefer? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:19:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Between SS privatization & SS state opt-out, which would you prefer? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Between SS privatization & SS state opt-out, which would you prefer?
Social Security is completely privatized

States can opt-out of Social Security, and their resident no longer taxed, if they don't want it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Between SS privatization & SS state opt-out, which would you prefer?  (Read 1334 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »

I don't understand why opt-out would be a state decision when state governments don't contribute anything to Social Security. (As opposed to Medicaid, which they do pay for part of.)

You also get into the issue of people moving from one state to another, and of cities that border two states so people could be living in one and working in another.

What would happen if a state opted out and then opted back in later on? (Or vice versa.)

As far as privatization, you're going to have to get more specific.

My personal conception of privatization was always that the Social Security trust fund would function more like a sovereign wealth fund and be investing in stocks, real estate and various types of bonds. But people would still pay their fixed FICA tax rate, and the payouts would still function as they do now. I would be averse to this precisely because I can't imagine what sort of scammy embezzlement Trump would be engaging in with Wilbur Ross and all the other usual suspects.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies