Will/Should Trump change his VP for the 2020 campaign?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:19:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Will/Should Trump change his VP for the 2020 campaign?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will/Should Trump change his VP for the 2020 campaign?  (Read 988 times)
Horatii
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.50, S: 0.60

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »

I've been wondering recently if Trump switching out Pence with someone new and more fit for 2020 might be a good idea. Pence was picked in 2016 to bridge the gap between wary traditional Republicans and to balance Trump's lack of political experience. I don't think either of these things are going to be major obstacles for Trump in 2020. Would picking someone to try and counter the Democrat or boost performance in a swing state be a good idea?

Who do you think would be the best VP switchout?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »

Pence provides no help with females and ethnic minorities and bridge the gap between those voters and Mike Pence to win MI, WI and Pa again.  WWC and evangelicals love Pence. You have to have a well rounded ticket and Trump has none. Thats why he will lose, minorities and women dont know who Pence is.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »

I've been wondering recently if Trump switching out Pence with someone new and more fit for 2020 might be a good idea. Pence was picked in 2016 to bridge the gap between wary traditional Republicans and to balance Trump's lack of political experience. I don't think either of these things are going to be major obstacles for Trump in 2020. Would picking someone to try and counter the Democrat or boost performance in a swing state be a good idea?

Rand Paul. Appeal to millenials and more minorities.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »

Yes, to Joe Manchin
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »

Actually that is a possibility I had never thought about.  Pence will have to go quietly though. It would have to depend on polling though.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
« Edited: August 10, 2018, 11:58:42 AM by Arkansas Yankee »

If he could get a moderate Democrat or independent to run with him (doubtful), I would consider that an electoral improvement. It could screw him in the long-term, though, as Democrats would have less reason against impeachment.

Otherwise, he can't risk abandoning the Republicans who prefer Pence. There's no realistic Republican choice that will pick up enough votes to replace the support he'd lose by betraying Pence.

You may impeach.  Unless there is some smoking gun you will never convict.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »

With Trump nothing is impossible.  If the left wingers keep attacking him physically and Democrat politicians keeping joking about the attack’s, he will become a rightist hero.  It still would be a stretch.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »

Trump should still be very concerned about turning out the Republican base, and I do think that Pence would help with that, even now. Dumping Pence would also risk alienating those base voters.

With that said, dumping Pence might be worth considering as a hail mary move. In that case, I would think Trump would be looking to select either a former/current Democrat like Jim Webb, or perhaps a woman.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »

I can't see Trump replacing Pence.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »

Nah, evangelicals are a valuable commodity, and Pence reassures them. 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »

No: Pence is enough of a craven lackey that Trump keeps him around, plus he helps keep the Evangelicals in line.
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »

I doubt it. Strategically speaking, Pence was a good pick for Vice President. He appealed to evangelical voters who might’ve otherwise been hesitant to vote for Trump. Ditching him wouldn’t make a lot of sense.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »

His Vice Presidential pick barely mattered in 2016, him changing it would matter even less. If anything, if he does change them, they would be someone more in Trump's vein like Kris Kobach or Paul LePage. Perhaps then his pick would affect him negatively, but it still wouldn't hurt him that much overall.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »

Pence would have to step down on his own. If Trump bucked Pence on his own accord, western conservatives would be even more pissed than they are now.

Assuming Pence stepped down on his own, Jim Webb, Joe Manchin, Doug Jones, Joe Lieberman, or Colin Powell would be the best choices for VP. If you go by more realistic picks, Joni Ernst (keeps conservatives on board), Tim Scott (conservatives and would crush attacks on Trump for racism), or Jon Huntsman (would bring third party voters and some moderates into the fold) would be a smart choice.

I don't think he will. But if Trump makes the right choice, it could help him a lot.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 09:18:14 PM »

Lmao. No.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:24:47 PM »

Pence is the biggest asset Trump has.  For him to even think of replacing him, he'd be a jerk.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »

Lmao. No.
Pretty much every single person who was on the Paul Blimp is now on the Trump Train.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:53:49 PM »

Pence is the biggest asset Trump has.  For him to even think of replacing him, he'd be a jerk.

It's probably the other way around. Pence is lucky to have Trump.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »

I hate Pence quite a bit, but it makes strategic sense for Trump to keep the guy who stirs enthusiasm among evangelicals, and who seems so "nice" because he's not loud. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »

I hate Pence quite a bit, but it makes strategic sense for Trump to keep the guy who stirs enthusiasm among evangelicals, and who seems so "nice" because he's not loud. 

Trump probably doesn't need Pence to excite evangelicals. They are with their Culture Warrior-in-Chief no matter what.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 09:58:27 PM »

It's probably the other way around. Pence is lucky to have Trump.

They're actually quite good for each other.  Pence was a guy who was a prominent House conservative whose career seemed to stall, and even though he moved up to IN Governor, it didn't seem to make him more prominent.  THEN . . . Trump picked him.  I really wondered who'd handle the role for Trump's VP without looking phony or looking like a total lackey, but Pence has looked ggod in the role; a role he wouldn't have but for Trump.  And he helps give Trump props with religious conservatives, keeping them focused on what Trump is doing, as opposed to what he's saying or Tweeting.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »

Lmao. No.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies