NJ-Gov: Star Ledger Poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:20:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-Gov: Star Ledger Poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ-Gov: Star Ledger Poll  (Read 1526 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »

From NJ.com:

Independent voters turn the tide in N.J. race. 2 issues help Forrester erode Corzine's lead.

A clear surge in the support of independent voters for Republican Doug Forrester over the past month has recast the race for governor: What once appeared a cakewalk for Democrat Jon Corzine is now a sprint toward Election Day.

Forrester has cut Corzine's lead among likely voters to 7 percentage points, according to a new Star-Ledger/Eagleton-Rutgers Poll. The survey showed Corzine ahead, 44 percent to 37 percent; 18 percent were undecided.

That's a significant change from last month's findings, when Corzine led 49 percent to 31 percent among likely voters and by 20 percentage points among registered ones.

A shift in public attention toward the race and away from blanket media coverage of Hurricane Katrina that hurt most Republicans has seemed to help Forrester, poll director Murray Edelman said. Plus, he said, Forrester is now matching Corzine in spending on TV ads.

"People are now seeing a Forrester who's really there: He's got his campaign and advertising in place," Edelman said.

Most of Forrester's gain appeared to be among independent voters, a coveted group among candidates that comprises about a third of the electorate in New Jersey.

Support for Forrester among that group jumped from 26 percent to 37 percent in the past month, the poll showed. Independents' support for Corzine dropped from 44 percent to 41 percent.

In addition to Forrester's gain with independent voters, he also has firmed his base of core supporters, Edelman said. Sixty-five percent of those who back the Republican say they are "very sure" they will vote for him, up 6 percentage points from September. Corzine slipped, from 66 to 62, among those "very sure" of their vote.

The strong showing by Forrester is part of a growing opposition to the status quo in Trenton, said Sherry Sylvester, his campaign manager.

"It's corruption. It's property taxes. It's New Jersey voters clearly recognizing that Doug Forrester means change for New Jersey," she said.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 12:22:08 PM »

"Jon Corzine is a lock."
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 12:23:14 PM »

These numbers arent exactly great for Forrester either.  He has yet to break 40% in any poll published.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:24:32 PM »

These numbers arent exactly great for Forrester.  He has yet to break 40% in any poll published.

If Corzine can't get a lead over ten points with all the stuff he is running now then that's a great sign for Forrester. Corzine is using the "Bush card" and it's failing, big time.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »

If Corzine can't get a lead over ten points with all the stuff he is running now then that's a great sign for Forrester. Corzine is using the "Bush card" and it's failing, big time.

Has NJ been under an all out Ad's blitz, yet?  Or has it been relatively quiet?

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 12:30:33 PM »

I see tons of ads everyday.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 12:34:33 PM »

I saw the Kean one the other day. Excellent.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 04:01:49 PM »

I saw an anti-Corzine ad during the Jet game today.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »

The ad blitz is on going here in NJ. I've only seen the Tom Kean ad for Doug once, but I've seen the Corzine ad connecting Bush and Forrester a lot, especially last week during the Eagles game. I've also seen the Forrester ad where he has Democrats on there alot as well.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 04:57:14 PM »

For awhile I saw many more Foorrester ads than Corzine, only within the last few days have I seen a more even split between the ads
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 05:06:30 PM »

Is Forrester pro-choice?  I'm not really sure if he is.  FLIP-FLOP-FLOOP!!!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 05:07:50 PM »

Is Forrester pro-choice?  I'm not really sure if he is.  FLIP-FLOP-FLOOP!!!

Uh...how is that a flip-flop? He's always been Pro Choice.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »

My Prediction

Corzine 55%
Forrester 44%
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 04:11:28 PM »

Forrester should start hammering away with that Kean ad.  That should help to neutralize the Bush/Forrester ad.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies