Kasich: GOP under Trump doesn't resemble the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:07:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kasich: GOP under Trump doesn't resemble the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Kasich: GOP under Trump doesn't resemble the Republican Party  (Read 3030 times)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »

Dems want Kasich to run a kamikaze mission against Trump, either as a 3rd party candidate or as a primary challenger.  Kasich would not prevail in either of these contests, but he'd aid the Democrats greatly if he did.

I have doubts about that on both counts.  I don't know that a Kasich primary run would actually hurt Trump at all in the GE.  It might actually help him.  Trump benefits from the perception that "the establishment" is out to get him, and that he himself isn't really the establishment (despite the fact that he's the sitting president of the United States).  So if an establishmentarian figure like Kasich is Trump's main primary rival, then that feeds that narrative.  It could actually help him to have Kasich to beat up on in the primaries.  (In contrast, I think if Trump was challenged by another outsider in the primaries, *that* could be damaging to him.)

And as for a 3rd party run by Kasich....I don't know that he'd do any better than Gary Johnson 2016.  And he could very well draw from the Romney-Clinton pool at least as much as he's drawing votes from people who might otherwise vote Trump.

Well . . . maybe.

I don't think a viable primary for Kasich would help Trump.  Trump would be aided if he crushed Kasich 4-1 or something like that.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2018, 09:58:27 AM »

I'm almost certainly voting Dem anyway in 2020 for the sole purpose of getting Trump out and restoring some sense of order to the country, all of which has been lost because of Trump.  The Dem will have to be extra, extra, extra terrible for me to not support him/her, and in that case I wouldn't be voting for Trump either.

If Kasich runs, I'll vote in the Republican primary for him.  If he runs in the general as an independent/3rd party, I won't vote for him (because my vote goes to the Dem this time, without almost any doubt), but I could donate to him and drive around with his bumper sticker Cheesy
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »

Dems want Kasich to run a kamikaze mission against Trump, either as a 3rd party candidate or as a primary challenger.  Kasich would not prevail in either of these contests, but he'd aid the Democrats greatly if he did.

I have doubts about that on both counts.  I don't know that a Kasich primary run would actually hurt Trump at all in the GE.  It might actually help him.  Trump benefits from the perception that "the establishment" is out to get him, and that he himself isn't really the establishment (despite the fact that he's the sitting president of the United States).  So if an establishmentarian figure like Kasich is Trump's main primary rival, then that feeds that narrative.  It could actually help him to have Kasich to beat up on in the primaries.  (In contrast, I think if Trump was challenged by another outsider in the primaries, *that* could be damaging to him.)

And as for a 3rd party run by Kasich....I don't know that he'd do any better than Gary Johnson 2016.  And he could very well draw from the Romney-Clinton pool at least as much as he's drawing votes from people who might otherwise vote Trump.

Well . . . maybe.

I don't think a viable primary for Kasich would help Trump.  Trump would be aided if he crushed Kasich 4-1 or something like that.

Well, 4-1 seems pretty likely.  Buchanan got 23% of the vote in 1992, to Bush's 73%.  Can Kasich actually do any better than that?  I doubt it.  I mean, sure, there'd be places where he could beat that by quite a bit, like New Hampshire, Utah, DC, Puerto Rico, etc.  But would Kasich actually break 25% of the vote nationally?  I don't see it.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »

Kasich got it right, Trump should have formed his own party long ago.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2018, 05:11:06 PM »

On a side note, ....

I'm almost certainly voting Dem anyway in 2020 for the sole purpose of getting Trump out and restoring some sense of order to the country, all of which has been lost because of Trump.  The Dem will have to be extra, extra, extra terrible for me to not support him/her, and in that case I wouldn't be voting for Trump either.

If Kasich runs, I'll vote in the Republican primary for him.  If he runs in the general as an independent/3rd party, I won't vote for him (because my vote goes to the Dem this time, without almost any doubt), but I could donate to him and drive around with his bumper sticker Cheesy

You'll vote for the Democrat, but offer campaign support to Kasich too? Ladies and gentlemen, we've seen and heard of politicians who can talk out of both sides of their mouth, now we've got a voter who is supporting two presidential candidates who will be running against each other.

But seriously, I understand your desire to see the GOP vote get divided between Trump and Kasich, so your campaign support -- donation and bumper sticker -- for Kasich is actually still a desire to help the Democrat win.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies