James Clyburn: I will run for Speaker if Pelosi doesn't have the votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:50:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  James Clyburn: I will run for Speaker if Pelosi doesn't have the votes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: James Clyburn: I will run for Speaker if Pelosi doesn't have the votes  (Read 1146 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05:17 AM »
« edited: August 18, 2018, 06:18:52 AM by Pope Michael Bolton »

The CBC should put up Jeffries or Richmond.

Richmond had his law license temporarily suspended after he got caught falsifying sworn statements and hasn’t really distinguished himself in the House AFAIK.  Jeffries has potential, but IIRC he is a pretty staunch supporter of charter schools and even said when running for House that his top priority was making it cheaper to run private religious schools.  While that isn’t an automatic deal-breaker (especially since there’s a lot to like about Jeffries) and it’s probably a bigger red flag to me than most b/c of what a mess poorly regulated charter schools have been in Ohio, it definitely gives me pause.  

Chris Van Hollen would’ve been perfect assuming he didn’t defer to Hoyer b/c they’re both from MD, but alas, he’s a Senator now.  At least we dodged a bullet when Rahm Emmanuel left the House.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »

The CBC should put up Jeffries or Richmond.

Richmond had his law license temporarily suspended after he got caught falsifying sworn statements.   and hasn’t really distinguished himself in the House AFAIK.  Jeffries has potential, but IIRC he is a pretty staunch supporter of charter schools and even said when running for House that his top priority was making it cheaper to run private religious schools.  While that isn’t an automatic deal-breaker (especially since there’s a lot to like about Jeffries) and it’s probably a bigger red flag to me than most b/c of what a mess poorly unregulated charter schools have been in Ohio, it definitely gives me pause. 

Chris Van Hollen would’ve been perfect assuming he didn’t defer to Hoyer b/c they’re both from MD, but alas, he’s a Senator now.  At least we dodged a bullet when Rahm Emmanuel left the House.

Yeah, Speaker Van Hollen and Sen. Edwards would've been cool. Too bad...
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »

Karen Bass

She’s our only hope. Woman of color. Californian. Experienced (having been CA Assembly Speaker).

Karen Bass
Mark Pocan
Ben Ray Lujan
Kathleen Clark
Linda Sanchez

That’s a solid team.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 02:31:38 PM »

Karen Bass

She’s our only hope. Woman of color. Californian. Experienced (having been CA Assembly Speaker).

Karen Bass
Mark Pocan
Ben Ray Lujan
Kathleen Clark
Linda Sanchez

That’s a solid team.

Nah, we don't need another Californian. Terri Sewell though would be a great speaker.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »

Mark Pocan should b speaker
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »

If you don't get Pelosi, you'll be getting Hoyer or Clyburn, not whoever your fantasy speaker is. Anti-Pelosi Dems should keep this in mind.
A disappointing truth I have come to accept.

Hoyer and Clyburn are both older then Pelosi, and they bring nothing new to the table. But they will probably be Speaker if Pelosi is not, as has been pointed out. Given their age, however, I doubt that either of them would last any more then a few years.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »

IceSpear and co are right!! No one really progressive is running for speaker. Clyburn and Ryan are just meh. They don't do anythng progressive, the'yre just trying to give you an illusion like De Leon in CA! If the left is serious about challenging the leadership they need to find candidates who are actually more left and have been active in progressive organizations(i.e. Schakowsky, Lee, Jayapal, Grijalva, McGovern, DeFazio) not someone like Tim Ryan who's just a nobody who is just desperate to get power or Clyburn who is part of the same "establishment" we're trying to move out of power!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 09:52:28 PM »

Black and Latino caucus as well as the women in the House; are committed to the Pelosi team. It was seen in 2006, when they dumped Jack Murtha overboard and he helped Dems win the House for Stenya Hoyer. Clyburn wont be Speaker. And he is from a rural state like SC, that has no fundraiser potential

Lean Pelosi.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »

The Jim Clyburn who argued that the allegations against Conyers “could be made up” because “these are all white women who made the charges” and who repeatedly compared Conyers’ victims to women who incited lynch mobs by falsely accusing African-Americans of raping them?  The Jim Clyburn who argued Conyers shouldn’t have to resign even if he did everything he was accused of because he was an elected official and implied congressmen shouldn’t face any consequences for such actions except potentially losing reelection in a GE?  The Jim Clyburn who is 78 years old at a time when the party desperately needs younger leaders in the House?  The Jim Clyburn who was planning to retire so his daughter could run for his seat and suddenly did a 180 upon realizing he *might* get to be Speaker for 2-4 terms and then retire like he planned meaning folks who break with the party on key votes won’t have worry about pissing off the Speaker b/c they can just wait him out?  That Jim Clyburn?  I think I’ll pass.

This is too good to ignore.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

A lot of people hate a woman as Speaker so you can imagine how much they would hate a black man. Can you imagine the hate towards him as a foil against Trump? It's too horrible to imagine.

Republicans would be paining any Democratic Speaker as the Satan incarnate anyway.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »

... and an entire generation (heck, probably two generations) of black Democratic politicians in SC sighed, got back to whatever they were doing, and tried to reconcile themselves to another 5 years of the top position they can reasonably aspire to being closed off.

Seriously, the primary when Clyburn retires is going to be ludicrous
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies