Would Kamala's husband hurt her with black voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:23:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Would Kamala's husband hurt her with black voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Would Kamala's husband hurt her with black voters?  (Read 2234 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 10:18:16 PM »

The OP seems to be about the primary, but it seems like some of the comments are talking about the general election.  I doubt this'll matter, but I suppose in a primary where the candidates are all from the same party and agree with each other on almost everything, weird symbolic s*!t can sometimes be elevated in importance.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 10:25:42 PM »

The OP seems to be about the primary, but it seems like some of the comments are talking about the general election.  I doubt this'll matter, but I suppose in a primary where the candidates are all from the same party and agree with each other on almost everything, weird symbolic s*!t can sometimes be elevated in importance.

Here's my idiot's hottake:

"Well, Kamala Harris' extreme leftism and mixed heritage could turn off the moderate black voters  in the South who want a real Black Queen, but Cory Booker's homosexuality could offend and turn off those same highly conservative black voters as well. It's the bible belt and they're a #different kind of dem. Therefore, I think Seth Moulton could swing in and take the south by plurality and become the 2020 nominee"
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 11:16:27 PM »

Here's my idiot's hottake:

"Well, Kamala Harris' extreme leftism and mixed heritage could turn off the moderate black voters  in the South who want a real Black Queen, but Cory Booker's homosexuality could offend and turn off those same highly conservative black voters as well. It's the bible belt and they're a #different kind of dem. Therefore, I think Seth Moulton could swing in and take the south by plurality and become the 2020 nominee"

I think Deval Patrick is a serious dark horse in terms of winning over black voters, he's probably the closest to Obama family dynamic wise. I think Booker & Harris's personal situation will have some effect at least in the South.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »

I think Deval Patrick is a serious dark horse in terms of winning over black voters, he's probably the closest to Obama family dynamic wise. I think Booker & Harris's personal situation will have some effect at least in the South.
Booker and Harris are far more visible to southern black voters than Deval Patrick. Having a nuclear family is not going to give him this imaginary edge you think it will.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »

Booker and Harris are far more visible to southern black voters than Deval Patrick. Having a nuclear family is not going to give him this imaginary edge you think it will.

#AtlasTakes
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 12:16:24 AM »

This post is peak Atlas.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »

I doubt it. Black Democrats will vote for her because of her passion and her policies.
Come to think of it, it may hurt her a little in the primary, but not enough to derail her candidacy. We are talking a small fraction of the 25% of so of Dem primary voters who are Black, who won't vote for her for this reason.

In the GE, it will be an almost complete nonissue.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »

The same way people theorized Stacey Abrams would lose her primary because moderate black Christians would think she was a lesbian?

No one will care about Kamala's white husband.

I'd agree with this, in reality.  The people who would care aren't going to vote Democratic for President any time soon.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »

I told you some black voters won't like her marrying a white man
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 02:02:11 PM »

No, that seems to be the sort of nonsense Republicans think Democrats care about.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 04:18:39 AM »

Counter-question: did Trump’s immigrant wife hurt him among ‘economically anxious’ WWC voters?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »

Counter-question: did Trump’s immigrant wife hurt him among ‘economically anxious’ WWC voters?

Trump was so different from his primary opponents that such things were never going to matter.  The question here is more if Harris agrees with her main primary opponents on virtually everything, then are dumb symbolic things going to make the difference?  And if so, which dumb symbolic things?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 05:12:17 PM »

If anything, for those who care, it could make her more popular with voters of color. Black women especially. I hope I don't come across as misinformed or offensive by saying this, but two racial groups in America that see themselves as disfavored when it comes to dating are Asian men and black women, especially in regards to interracial dating. As such it could be inspiring to see a relatively powerful mixed race Asian/black woman married to a white man.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2018, 05:23:28 PM »

If anything, for those who care, it could make her more popular with voters of color. Black women especially. I hope I don't come across as misinformed or offensive by saying this, but two racial groups in America that see themselves as disfavored when it comes to dating are Asian men and black women, especially in regards to interracial dating. As such it could be inspiring to see a relatively powerful mixed race Asian/black woman married to a white man.

My black female friends are down with the swirl.  I suspect, however, there may be some black male voters who won't like the fact Sen. Harris is married to a white man.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies