Oklahoma School Shuts Down 2 Days After Parents Threaten Transgender 7th Grader
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:01:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oklahoma School Shuts Down 2 Days After Parents Threaten Transgender 7th Grader
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oklahoma School Shuts Down 2 Days After Parents Threaten Transgender 7th Grader  (Read 1822 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »

What the hell is wrong with the people of Oklahoma?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

What the hell is wrong with the people of Oklahoma?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidentialection_in_Oklahoma,_2016

This is who Republicans are. We're not doing ourselves, our fellow Americans, our future, or anyone else any kindness by pretending otherwise.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »

Oklahoma is obviously conservative but this behavior is actually insane. Third world insane.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »

Oklahoma is obviously conservative but this behavior is actually insane. Third world insane.

The South would be a basket case dictatorship if it were a country.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2018, 01:06:15 PM by Virginiá »

A good reminder that just because someone is an adult and maybe even a parent doesn't make them inherently more responsible or wise. These grown adults apparently got so twisted up in this probably-fake bathroom story that they forgot they are threatening and savagely mocking a 7th grade child. Of course, they took precautions by dehumanizing her so they could avoid having to have any semblance of a conscious remind them that they are saying sick things. Shame on them.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »

A good reminder that just because someone is an adult and maybe even a parent doesn't make them inherently more responsible or wise. These grown adults apparently got so twisted up in this probably-fake bathroom story that they forgot they are threatening and savagely mocking a 7th grade child. Of course, they took precautions by dehumanizing him her so they could avoid having to have any semblance of a conscious remind them that they are saying sick things. Shame on them.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:05:39 PM »

^^ thx
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »

Oklahoma is really the worst place to live.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »

The parents were out of line, but the girls' restroom is for girls only, period. I don't want anyone to just identify themselves as girls. I mean, we condemn people pretending to be ethnic minorities just to get scholarship perks.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 02:37:57 PM »

The parents were out of line, but the girls' restroom is for girls only, period. I don't want anyone to just identify themselves as girls. I mean, we condemn people pretending to be ethnic minorities just to get scholarship perks.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »

This. Attacking the student is strange, and my position is that a transgender girl is someone with the brain of a girl but the body of a boy (that's what the science says), but there should be some compromise worked out on the bathroom issue. Making sure she has her own restroom is a great fix.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »

If you believe that a rumor like this would only elicit these reactions in Oklahoma or the South, you're kidding yourselves.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

If you believe that a rumor like this would only elicit these reactions in Oklahoma or the South, you're kidding yourselves.

Only? Certainly not.

A markedly disproportionate share? Absolutely.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »

Where the wind goes sweeping down the plain.

I guarantee that this happens anywhere in the US, and that Illinois, being a solid blue state, isn't free from this either.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 02:16:37 PM »

Only? Certainly not.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »

Only? Certainly not.

There's bigots everywhere. And I mean EVERYWHERE. But when there is enough of them, they can ruin pretty much everything for just about everyone. Oklahoma is obviously one of those places. People say it can happen elsewhere but it happened most recently here and its a problem.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

These parents should be prosecuted and have their kids taken away.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »

I think that's the ultimate goal of the #MAGA Cult of Deplorables and their wannabe dictator.

But yeah, Jokelahoma remains one of, if not THE, most deplorable states in the nation.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 02:42:54 AM »

These parents should be prosecuted and have their kids taken away.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 02:58:24 AM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 11:17:36 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2018, 02:04:37 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

These parents have, indeed, moved into the area of criminal liability.  They have made threats that have varying degree of credibility, and that should be dealt with in ways that reflect the seriousness of their acts.  You can't do everything you want in the name of "protecting your kids".

There is, however, the question of a student, who is biologically male, in the girls restroom at a school looking down over other students.  Is that true?  Is that something that was happening?  Now I realize that all sorts of falsehoods can arise over issues like this, but the school neither confirms nor denies this.  I have four (4) school-age granddaughters, and I would not appreciate knowing that a biological male was using the girls room and peeping them.  And I would not appreciate a biological male using the girls room (especially one my granddaughters would use) especially if the school had told the child not to and had made arrangements for a solution that did not require that child to use the boys room.

The child is biologically male.  I feel badly for whatever this child's mental angst, and for the child's parents, but this situation is one of a biological male using the girls' restroom.  You'll forgive my Neanderthal viewpoint, but I don't understand why the entire group of female students at that school, and their parents, have to be the ones to adjust THEIR comfort level in the restroom, when the school has made accomodations for this student that do not require this student to use the same facility male students use.

I would ask, in this unique situation, all things considered, why the separate bathroom solution isn't good enough?  This situation is NOT the equivilent of racial segregation, and people are just flat out full of crap if they assert otherwise.  There's NO perfect solution here.  This child has issues, to be sure, but he is physically male, and while the vitriol and threats from other parents (especially the parents of girls) are wrong and uncalled for, the concern for the situation is valid, and I cannot blame them for their anger when their concerns are met with them being dismissed as "bigots" with a massive side order of political correctness to wash their dismissal down with.  The girls at that school have every right to emotional safety when using the rest room as well, and they have (I believe) the right to know that someone who is biologically male is not in the restroom with them.

The advocates for this child range from the well-intentioned to the self-absorbed and politically motivated.  None of them seem to have any empathy whatsoever for the female students in that school, or their parents.  Calling people "bigots" is their solution to everything.  
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »

I think this should hinge on whether or not these allegations about this transgender student are true. If they are not, the parents should pay a high price for this, but if they are true, the transgender student needs to be punished accordingly.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »

One of my least favorite states continues to justify that opinion of mine.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »

I think this should hinge on whether or not these allegations about this transgender student are true. If they are not, the parents should pay a high price for this, but if they are true, the transgender student needs to be punished accordingly.
The parents should pay a high price regardless.

If the allegations against the student are true, then they should indeed be punished accordingly. They should receive the same punishment as if a male student was looking over the stall at other male students in the boy’s restroom.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies