Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Cuomo?
Absolutely Not. Democrats need to stop America bashing.

Do not agree. Not a smart thing to say.

No opinion.

He has a point.

He's right.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree?  (Read 3188 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:01:26 PM »
« edited: August 15, 2018, 06:09:31 PM by SN2903 »

Seriously democrats are the gift that keeps on giving. While Trump says dumb stuff at times and should be in a stronger position for 2020 the democrats lurching more and more left is the thing that could reelect him...

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/albany/2018/08/15/knocking-trump-cuomo-criticized-saying-america-never-great/1000315002/

Do you agree with Cuomo?
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »

What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.

My biggest problem with the far-left (and I guess the people that pander to them) of this country is their opposition to basic patriotism. It's astonishing how they don't realize this leads to their own electoral demise.

With that said, we finally have a President that opposes American exceptionalism too, so I guess there's not that big of a difference anymore.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »

My biggest problem with the far-left (and I guess the people that pander to them) of this country is their opposition to basic patriotism. It's astonishing how they don't realize this leads to their own electoral demise.

With that said, we finally have a President that opposes American exceptionalism too, so I guess there's not that big of a difference anymore.
Agree. I really do not like a lot of things about Trump. His vulgarity bothers me most of the time and also his lack of compassion for those who are not white also bothers me, but the democratic party is lost. I used to be a democrat. I miss the JFK type democrats who fought for progressive values but proudly supported and loved their country..where is that party?
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »

Actual policy > "Patriotism"

Ideally, no one should vote on whether they consider a party patriotic or not.

In direct answer to the question, no. America was much better off in the pre-Reagan era to the point where it would be considered "great" but we haven't been great in recent decades.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 06:23:07 PM »

Not a smart thing for a would-be Commander-in-Chief to say. Still, I'd like to know the context in which he said it, and if the quote is being taken out of context (as was Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comment, which I believe cost her the election).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »

Not a smart thing for a would-be Commander-in-Chief to say. Still, I'd like to know the context in which he said it, and if the quote is being taken out of context (as was Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comment, which I believe cost her the election).
I believe that it is good when a leader recognizes the problems with an organization so that they can be addressed as opposed to being oblivious about everything and running their organization into the ground. Also,
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

Agree. I really do not like a lot of things about Trump. His vulgarity bothers me most of the time and also his lack of compassion for those who are not white also bothers me, but the democratic party is lost. I used to be a democrat. I miss the JFK type democrats who fought for progressive values but proudly supported and loved their country..where is that party?
Stop the strawman. At least 80% of Democrats love our country, I included. What we don't support is blind patriotism, acting like everything is great and nothing needs to change. Also, you have been pretty outspoken as a supporter of Trump, yet you miss "JFK Democrats". Give me a break, the dem platform has stayed pretty much the same since the days of Kennedy. Stop telling me I don't love my country because of the political party I ascribe to. That's dumb. Also, how is the republican party not lost?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »

Cuomo will be Cuomo. No surprise here.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »

I believe that it is good when a leader recognizes the problems with an organization so that they can be addressed as opposed to being oblivious about everything and running their organization into the ground. Also,
Fair enough. Again, I'd like to see the context.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »

Aside of the simple fact Cuomo is hardly "far-left", let's not confuse patriotism with "my country is and always was the best" delusions.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »

This is enough to cost him the election in November.  It's possible now.

His Presidential campaign will never get off the ground now.  The big donors will not see him as a winner.  And, again, that's assuming he's re-elected.

It was a comment more dumb than Gerald Ford saying, "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe." during the second debate with Carter.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »

This is a Michael Kinsley gaffe:
 "A gaffe is when a politician tells the truth – some obvious truth he isn't supposed to say."
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:44 PM »

----

I miss the JFK type democrats who fought for progressive values but proudly supported and loved their country..where is that party?

They're still the Democrats. Did you watch the 2016 convention?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »

Aside of the simple fact Cuomo is hardly "far-left", let's not confuse patriotism with "my country is and always was the best" delusions.

This.

Also, I don’t think this comment would cost anybody an election, honestly. Lol.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »

His Presidential campaign will never get off the ground now.  The big donors will not see him as a winner.  And, again, that's assuming he's re-elected.

It was a comment more dumb than Gerald Ford saying, "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe." during the second debate with Carter.
I assume you arent referring to NY-GOV?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »

This is the kind of thing that can get blown out of proportion to where Cuomo has a real fight to be re-elected, even in Democratic NY.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

It's not untrue. The ugly parts of our history that we don't glorify and revere (Confederate statues) get glossed over. Newton's third law of physics also applies to politics: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. We banned slavery, so Jim Crow laws were put into place. We banned segregation, whites resegregated themselves by fleeing to the suburbs. We tried to get blacks out of poverty with education, whites ban affirmative action. Then we declared war on drugs and got tough on crime so that if we couldn't segregate blacks, we'd just put them all in prison.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »

Stop the strawman. At least 80% of Democrats love our country, I included. What we don't support is blind patriotism, acting like everything is great and nothing needs to change. Also, you have been pretty outspoken as a supporter of Trump, yet you miss "JFK Democrats". Give me a break, the dem platform has stayed pretty much the same since the days of Kennedy. Stop telling me I don't love my country because of the political party I ascribe to. That's dumb. Also, how is the republican party not lost?

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

Although I prefer Nixon, this was a very courageous thing to say and perhaps it is an understatement,
but I can confidently say that I agree 100%. Right on Cuomo.

To think otherwise is a little crazy considering our very ugly history.

It isn't politically correct, but when was I ever politically correct?

I don't blame America First; first I have my coffee and then I blame America.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »

Cynthia Nixon must have a powerful voodoo doll
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 08:22:49 PM »

This is the kind of thing that can get blown out of proportion to where Cuomo has a real fight to be re-elected, even in Democratic NY.
oh, well he most definitely isn't losing the Governors Race. He won by 14 in a red wave with a pretty good opponent.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 08:24:18 PM »

Nixon is endorsed by Alexandria the Great and she played a fantastic role in Amadeus, the greatest movie of all time.
Perhaps she won't win the race for governor, but should she win, I could see myself supporting Nixon for president.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:54 PM »

That is because the far-left bases their positions on a clear and coherent ideology rather than shamelessly adopting whatever poll-tested positions some hack consultant recommends.

Anyway, welcome Comrade Andrew.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:28:31 PM »

Although I prefer Nixon, this was a very courageous thing to say and perhaps it is an understatement,

Liberal sentiment like this will result in Cuomo winning reelection in the low single digits at best.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »

Liberal sentiment like this will result in Cuomo winning reelection in the low single digits at best.
I can't vote in NY so it doesn't matter what I think. It makes no difference, though, whether he wins in a landslide or by one vote, right? This is all moot, since I say "Nixon's the One"
Also, if she loses the primary she can still win as a third party candidate, possible if not likely.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies