Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree with Cuomo?
Absolutely Not. Democrats need to stop America bashing.

Do not agree. Not a smart thing to say.

No opinion.

He has a point.

He's right.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo says "America was never that great" Do you agree?  (Read 3223 times)
foxh8er
Rookie
« on: August 15, 2018, 06:09:14 PM »

What an absolutely idiotic thing to say.

My biggest problem with the far-left (and I guess the people that pander to them) of this country is their opposition to basic patriotism. It's astonishing how they don't realize this leads to their own electoral demise.

With that said, we finally have a President that opposes American exceptionalism too, so I guess there's not that big of a difference anymore.
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:44 PM »

----

I miss the JFK type democrats who fought for progressive values but proudly supported and loved their country..where is that party?

They're still the Democrats. Did you watch the 2016 convention?
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »

If you choose to ignore numerous human rights abuses that started before independence and lasted until about 1965 then you probably do have model for a really great country, but you can't rewrite history and reality has to be accepted.

Slavery 1619-1865
Displacement of Native Americans 1600s-1800s
Jim Crow 1870s-1965
Asian immigrants expelled from California towns (1880s)
Lynching 1882-1964 (up until 1935 there were lynchings in the double digits)
Japanese Internment (1940s)
Legal citizens deported in Operation Wetback (1950s)

That is a terrible human rights record for a first world nation even if it is in the past. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging that the country is not perfect and has become better over the past few decades. Cuomo is not even going to come remotely close to losing over this and his presidential campaign probably won't go anywhere but that is because he hasn't been as liberal as some Democrats would like.

Jeez, this is why the term "liberal" got tarnished over the last 40 years. It's not even incorrect, but it is a strain of pessimism and lack of respect for the uniqueness of the American experience - the bad and the good - that turns off even moderates (and liberals like me).

Obama made the case for American exceptionalism better than anybody else in modern history.

From his convention speech in 2016:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies