America's greatness: GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:26:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America's greatness: GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who's made America Great among Republicans ?
Teddy Roosevelt

Dwight Eisenhower

Richard Nixon

Gerald Ford

Ronald Reagan

George H W Bush

George W Bush

Donald Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: America's greatness: GOP  (Read 1320 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:29:51 AM »

Who's made America Great among Republicans ? Discuss
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »

Teddy believed in conservation and fair labor relations, so him.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »

Eisenhower entrenched America's position as the Leader of the Free World, and he did it without starting new wars and he kept the Constitution the way he found it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:01:04 AM »

Eisenhower entrenched America's position as the Leader of the Free World, and he did it without starting new wars and he kept the Constitution the way he found it.

^

Good answer.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:19:04 AM »

Teddy Roosevelt, today's GOP would hate him though since he helped the common man, not the rich more than anything.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »

^

Good answer.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »

^

Good answer.

Easily this.

Teddy Roosevelt, today's GOP would hate him though since he helped the common man, not the rich more than anything.

LOL, there are a lot of similarities between Teddy and Trump that people conveniently like to ignore.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »

^

Good answer.

Easily this.

LOL, there are a lot of similarities between Teddy and Trump that people conveniently like to ignore.

Yeah. I mean, if you ignore Trump's cowardice,  compulsive lying, laziness, stupidity, ignorance and a mere dozen or score of additional glaring flaws and differences, they're practically identical. For example, both are human beings.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »

^

Good answer.

Easily this.

Yeah. I mean, if you ignore Trump's cowardice,  compulsive lying, laziness, stupidity, ignorance and a mere dozen or score of additional glaring flaws and differences, they're practically identical. For example, both are human beings.

You're not exactly talking to a Trump supporter here, pal; you can take a 5-minute break from your quest, LOL.  Both are New York Republicans with populist ideas that put them out of the mainstream of elected Republicans of their times and drew a lot of ire from the party establishment, only to win election and force many in the party to "come around."  I also believe neither will project a longterm trend for party policy.  I'm not building up Trump, so in advance: chill out.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »

^

Good answer.

He kept America as good as it had been, at the least, and concurred in making it better for people who had been left behind. But more importantly,

Teddy Roosevelt was no revolutionary. He recognized, as did the wisest people of his time, that capitalism would work best if it served workers as well as capitalists. TR may not be alone in shaving off the rough edges of American capitalism, but he certainly promoted such.

Donald Trump is a disgrace to both.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »

Yikes all these guys are horrible besides maybe reagan, ford, and trump
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »

Yikes all these guys are horrible besides maybe reagan, ford, and trump

Why, exactly, is Eisenhower "horrible" in your eyes?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »

Eisenhower who saved the World in WWII Nazi nuclearizing the Wrld, instead got the Soviets to develop nuclear technology to proper contain them.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »

I voted Gerald Ford because he really made America great (again) by restoring dignity and honor to the presidency. His personal integrity and ability to reach out to others made him the best possible person for this task. He was comptent and pragmatic, did well on the international stage and improved the economy at home.

Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower are also good answers.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »

^

Good answer.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »

Roosevelt and Eisenhower are the two good answers here, wish I could select them both.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt and Eisenhower, tough call as they are both great in some different ways.  I think we need a tough "real progressive" like these now.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »

I voted Roosevelt since I do believe he was a great President, but this is a good answer as well. Though, do remember that Ike was a strong believer in the (wrong) domino-effect theory, which lead him to start involving the U.S. in the Vietnamese mud. So I don't think it's exactly accurate that he didn't start new wars at all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 03:56:42 PM »

What morons voted trump in this poll?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »

I voted Reagan, but on second thought I think Ford deserves it more. He did indeed do much to heal the nation after Watergate, as Jimmy Carter rightly acknowledged.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 05:04:36 PM »

Cultists.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 06:42:57 PM »

The real question is what moron voted for Dubya?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »

Eisenhower made mistakes. Eisenhower's Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, refused to sign a peace treaty ending the Korean War. Then it violated the terms of the armistice by moving nuclear weapons onto the Korean Peninsula for the first time. This was the beginning of North Korea's drive for the same.

http://time.com/5360343/korean-war-american-history/

Eisenhower also sponsored a military coup in Iran that installed the doomed Shah.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »

What I like about Teddy Roosevelt more than the rest is that he appointed Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr to the Supreme Court, and Holmes is one of the greatest Justices we've ever had. We need more people like Holmes on the bench now.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »

I voted Roosevelt since I do believe he was a great President, but this is a good answer as well. Though, do remember that Ike was a strong believer in the (wrong) domino-effect theory, which lead him to start involving the U.S. in the Vietnamese mud. So I don't think it's exactly accurate that he didn't start new wars at all.

Ike had his faults; his covert overthrow of the Mossadegh government in Iran is something we're paying for.  This was, however, the height of the Cold War, and Mossadegh was a good candidate to turn Iran into a client state for the Soviets, giving them their warm water port.  It wasn't completely irrational to think that Iran could have morphed into the Irannian SSR along the likes of Ukraine.

Ike could have done more on the segregation issue, but he remained silent for a long time, and when he spoke up, it was for going slower on integration.  He DID, however, enforce the law, and he was not wrong in wanting to avoid massive racial violence that would have been potentially catastrophic to large numbers of folks, and to the nation as a whole.

Ike's accomplishments in office were impressive.  Our system of Interstate highways is his accomplishment.   He was a fiscally responsible President who did not initiate broad new spending programs, but he didn't trash the safety net, didn't rig the tax system for the rich, and warned America about the military industrial complex.  And, yet, despite being a candidate for the greatest American of the 20th century, he was never regarded in GOP circles in the manner that Ronald Reagan was, until long after he was dead and historians began a reassessment of his Presidency.  Ike was the closest thing to a non-partisan President we had.  I grew up with a mother who ADORED Adlai Stevenson, and I thought very highly of Stevenson, but we, as a nation, were fortunate that Dwight Eisenhower was our President during the particular time he served.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies