America's greatness: Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:29:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  America's greatness: Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who's made America Great among Democrats ?
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Harry Truman

John Kennedy

Lyndon Johnson

Jimmy Carter

Bill Clinton

Barack Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: America's greatness: Democrats  (Read 1074 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 04:28:20 PM »

Or perhaps work to make it better?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »

America was made great through the efforts of ordinary persons, not the machinations of politicians.

This. Activism and sustained efforts of laborists, unions, and civil rights leaders made possible what we have now. Yeah, FDR and LBJ helped, but FDR put thousands upon thousands of Japanese Americans into camps. That's evil.

FDR is still our best President despite that. Most of our Presidents have been pretty bad.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »

middlefinger.jpg

Also congrats for 70+% voting for a racist war criminal.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 08:10:43 PM »

Roosevelt was my answer in the Republican thread too. Freedom cousins!
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »

Lyndon Baines Johnson.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:52 PM »

FDR was great but in terms of the quality of legislation passed...LBJ was far superior. When the 89th Congress (considering the most productive in history) was inaugurated, LBJ called a meeting with the Democratic leadership and told them:

“I want you to get all my legislative proposals during this session, now!  Every day that I am in office, I lose part of my power.  Every day I use power, I have less power left.  You must get this legislation through immediately.  I want you to talk to those congressmen.  I want you to sleep with those congressmen if you have to.  I want you to get this legislation through now—while I still have the power.”

Total opposite of the today's Democratic party that keeps wasting time with bipartisanship and incrementalism.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »

middlefinger.jpg

Also congrats for 70+% voting for a racist war criminal.

This part is just lol.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2018, 09:42:34 PM »

Roll Eyes

*proceeds to throw people escaping their country for a better way of life into cages*

If they did it the right way, filed their forms, and went to any port of entry they wouldn’t have been arrested

Oh, will you please shut up, you overpriviliged, White twit. You don’t know anything about other people’s struggles, yet you’re so damn quick to cast judgment and imagine that everything is so black and white. You’re either too immature to understand the complexities of the world and real life, or you’re simply too shallow and selfish of a person to care. That applies to both your oversimplification of undocumented immigration and America’s history (and present).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »

FDR was great but in terms of the quality of legislation passed...LBJ was far superior. When the 89th Congress (considering the most productive in history) was inaugurated, LBJ called a meeting with the Democratic leadership and told them:

“I want you to get all my legislative proposals during this session, now!  Every day that I am in office, I lose part of my power.  Every day I use power, I have less power left.  You must get this legislation through immediately.  I want you to talk to those congressmen.  I want you to sleep with those congressmen if you have to.  I want you to get this legislation through now—while I still have the power.”

Total opposite of the today's Democratic party that keeps wasting time with bipartisanship and incrementalism.

The Nation's Demographics favored the Democrats far more in the 1960s than they do now.

The Noth East and Midwest Urban Areas still dominated American Politics back then while now its the Sunbelt and Suburbs who do which are far less liberal .
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 09:57:57 PM »

The Nation's Demographics favored the Democrats far more in the 1960s than they do now.

The Noth East and Midwest Urban Areas still dominated American Politics back then while now its the Sunbelt and Suburbs who do which are far less liberal .

That's very true...the liberal GOP establishment of the 60s helped make alot of the Great Society legislation possible but they were BTFO under Reagan
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2018, 10:01:53 PM »

“I want you to get all my legislative proposals during this session, now!  Every day that I am in office, I lose part of my power.  Every day I use power, I have less power left.  You must get this legislation through immediately.  I want you to talk to those congressmen.  I want you to sleep with those congressmen if you have to.  I want you to get this legislation through now—while I still have the power.”

That's very true...the liberal GOP establishment of the 60s helped make alot of the Great Society legislation possible but they were BTFO under Reagan

Actually they died before Reagan

they began to lose in 1964 and their losses in 1974 and 1976 killed the Rockefeller GOP. In 1979 and 1980 Reagan got by far the most endorsements during the primaries which proves by 1979 the GOP establishment had already become Conservative.

The fact is the Demographic shift away from those Urban Areas to Sunbelt Suburbs killed the Rocky GOP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »

America was made great through the efforts of ordinary persons, not the machinations of politicians.

This.

But of those, FDR is the only defensible answer.

Indeed, Vietnam disqualifies LBJ, but FDR's concentration camps for Japanese Americans is a mere blemish.

I have to say I'm very disappointed none of the FDR lovers/LBJ haters responded to this...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »

This.

Indeed, Vietnam disqualifies LBJ, but FDR's concentration camps for Japanese Americans is a mere blemish.

I have to say I'm very disappointed none of the FDR lovers/LBJ haters responded to this...

I think it's weird to praise one and not the other when it comes to that stuff, but most Democratic partisans simply apologize for both, in my experience.  I remember seeing a post on here quoted one time RE: Blanche Lincoln's blanching - "She was a racist POS, but she was OUR racist POS. Sad"  LOL, can't remember who did it, but it's a perfect example of the tribal mentality of politics.  People apologize for people who appear "on their side."  See the change in rhetoric/categorization of "suburbanites" by liberals from 2004 to now and the change in rhetoric/categorization of "Midwestern Whites" after the 2016 election, LOL.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 02:55:51 PM »

This.

I think it's weird to praise one and not the other when it comes to that stuff, but most Democratic partisans simply apologize for both, in my experience.  I remember seeing a post on here quoted one time RE: Blanche Lincoln's blanching - "She was a racist POS, but she was OUR racist POS. Sad"  LOL, can't remember who did it, but it's a perfect example of the tribal mentality of politics.  People apologize for people who appear "on their side."  See the change in rhetoric/categorization of "suburbanites" by liberals from 2004 to now and the change in rhetoric/categorization of "Midwestern Whites" after the 2016 election, LOL.

In general either both are apologized for or both are disowned (with the former being far more prevalent), but on this forum there's a very odd and large contingent that is okay with or willing to turn a blind eye to Japanese internment, yet thinks Vietnam disqualifies LBJ from being viewed as a remotely good president despite all his domestic accomplishments which match or even exceed FDR's. It's quite strange. Race isn't relevant here for obvious reasons, so I can only assume it has something to do with the weird strain of the left that prioritizes the lives of citizens of <insert literally any country here> over the lives of their own citizens. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »

LBJ got it!

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies