Sabato's Crystal Ball: The Governors: Ratings Changes Abound
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:33:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sabato's Crystal Ball: The Governors: Ratings Changes Abound
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sabato's Crystal Ball: The Governors: Ratings Changes Abound  (Read 5191 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
« edited: August 16, 2018, 08:32:51 AM by Kris Kobach »

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-governors-2018-ratings-changes-abound/

Georgia: Likely R->Lean R
Maine: Lean D->Tossup
Maryland: Lean R->Likely R
Minnesota: Tossup->Lean D
Oregon: Likely D->Lean D
Wisconsin: Lean R->Tossup

Also:
ME-2: Lean R->Tossup
WI-1: Tossup->Lean R
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »

All make sense, based on recent polls and primary results.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »

None of the rating changes made towards the Republicans make any sense.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:50 AM »

At minimum Maryland does
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »

At minimum Maryland does

Black voters will come home in the end and decide the race for Jealous.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

At minimum Maryland does

lol
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »

Sabato must have a CT Republican on his staff.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »

How the hell is WI-1 moved to "Lean R" when more Dems showed up?!
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »

At minimum Maryland does

Black voters will come home in the end and make the race closer.

As for the fact that they'll deliver Jealous a win... that remains to be seen. For now the race is clearly in Hogan's favor, and this rating reflects that.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »

And the Democratic primary was closer to unanimous than the Republican primary.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »

At minimum Maryland does

You are insane
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »

At minimum Maryland does

lol

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2018, 09:32:57 AM by Zaybay »

At minimum Maryland does

lol

No, hes correct, sort of. If Jealous wins 90% of the Black vote, he wins the election. Of course, this is assuming for 2014 turnout and Jealous getting 35% of the White vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 10:00:35 AM »

A couple things.

1) Dems nominated the deadbeat dad. Even if Bryce eventually gains traction, Ryan and his mini me dumping millions of dollars into deadbeat dad ads will probably put a stop to it real quick.

2) Republicans carried this district even in the Supreme Court race that they recently lost by 12 points.

I actually think lean R is generous for the Democrats. I have it at safe R.

But aside from that, I actually shockingly agree on most of these. Probably jumping the gun on MD and OR considering it's still pretty early though. Both of the ME races are well overdue, as is WI and GA. MN was never a toss up (muh Pawlenty lol.)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »

A couple things.

1) Dems nominated the deadbeat dad. Even if Bryce eventually gains traction, Ryan and his mini me dumping millions of dollars into deadbeat dad ads will probably put a stop to it real quick.

2) Republicans carried this district even in the Supreme Court race that they recently lost by 12 points.

But aside from that, I actually shockingly agree on most of these. Probably jumping the gun on MD and OR considering it's still pretty early though. Both of the ME races are well overdue, as is WI and GA. MN was never a toss up (muh Pawlenty lol.)

This district doesn’t have the blue-collar DNA that Bryce is hoping to appeal to. The Republican base is primarily wealthy suburbanites in Waukesha & Milwaukee county.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »

A couple things.

This district doesn’t have the blue-collar DNA that Bryce is hoping to appeal to. The Republican base is primarily wealthy suburbanites in Waukesha & Milwaukee county.
Kenosha and Racine are in this district.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »

A couple things.

Yeah, but Waukesha county is crucial.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »

A couple things.

There is no way to tell who is gonna win this race. It could be Paul Ryan's twin, but Randy has raised a ton of funding and D turnout was larger than the R turnout. I would wait for some polling before making any assumptions.

Also, there is Blue-Collar DNA in the district, like Racine and Kenosha.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:15:48 AM »

Democrats received more votes in the primary in WI-01 than Republicans did, and the Democratic primary was closer to being unanimous than the Republican primary.

A couple things.

Almost all of Waukesha is in WI-05. Only a tiny sliver is in WI-01.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »

A couple things.

There is no way to tell who is gonna win this race. It could be Paul Ryan's twin, but Randy has raised a ton of funding and D turnout was larger than the R turnout. I would wait for some polling before making any assumptions.

Also, there is Blue-Collar DNA in the district, like Racine and Kenosha.

Lean R is fair, but it's false to say that there is no Blue-Collar DNA in this district. Janesville, Kenosha, and Racine all fit that bill. Having that third of Waukesha County is such a drag on this district and probably hill to high to climb for Byrce.

A district drawn fairly without Waukesha County and the remainder of Rock County (like it was primary to 2002) would probably be Lean D now.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »

Democrats received more votes in the primary in WI-01 than Republicans did, and the Democratic primary was closer to being unanimous than the Republican primary.

A couple things.

Almost all of Waukesha is in WI-05. Only a tiny sliver is in WI-01.

About 1/3rd of Waukesha is in WI-01.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

All of these changes doesn't really change much, WI, MI, PA, ME, NM, IL are gone for the GOP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:00 AM »

Screnock won WI-01, Walker will certainly win it, and even Vukmir might win it. Give that, it seems very unlikely that a deeply flawed Democrat like Bryce could carry it against a Paul Ryan clone. Especially since Ryan is somehow not unpopular in Wisconsin as a whole (last poll I saw had him with an evenly split approval rating), which I'd assume means he's on fairly solid ground in his home district.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »

Screnock won WI-01, Walker will certainly win it, and even Vukmir might win it. Give that, it seems very unlikely that a deeply flawed Democrat like Bryce could carry it against a Paul Ryan clone. Especially since Ryan is somehow not unpopular in Wisconsin as a whole (last poll I saw had him with an evenly split approval rating), which I'd assume means he's on fairly solid ground in his home district.
Vukmir will definitely lose it. Randy Bryce is not a flawed candidate. Democrats just outvoted Republicans in the primary.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »

Vukmir will definitely lose it. Randy Bryce is not a flawed candidate. Democrats just outvoted Republicans in the primary.

That's not a guarantee, anyone who missed child support payments is automatically a flawed candidate, and who cares? Are the Indiana and North Dakota Senate races safe R because Republicans got far more votes? Are Dems favored in WV-01 and WV-02 because they got more votes?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies