My trip to Canada
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My trip to Canada
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My trip to Canada  (Read 313 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:20 AM »

Great trip through the Rockies and westwards for my parent's anniversary.

My thoughts:

- the Rockies were pretty spectacular, but I would have preferred to find a campsite or something; it was all rather touristy driving from various site to another and I got remarkably little exercise considering we were up in the mountains. (Also, I don't know if it's me being biased from what I know from Albertan politics, but the Calgary outskirts we moved through from the airport looked Extremely dreary).

- Vancouver island is probably one of my favourite places I've ever been. Victoria is a very cute city, and nanaimo was fine as well. Also our Airbnb host was a mad aging hippy-venture capitalist who smoked pot every day and was - no joke - a Pizzagater who thought trump was mostly bad but was "working against the bigger evil". I would have had a political argument with him, but he was lending our whole group kayaks for free so I held my tongue.

- Vancouver itself was ... less nice. Both my college friend and my second cousin who we stayed with lived in the south (Surrey and delta respectively), both in suburbs that seemed to be prime examples of what people complain about when they talk of zoning regulations killing livable neighbourhoods (my friend, who desperately wants to come back to the UK and only came to Canada because she has to live there three years to get citizenship, was desperately bored). The city itself was also a bit of a letdown. Kitsilano was a nice area, as was Stanley park and Robson square where my friend dragged me to a tango lesson on a disused ice rink (?). However, there was also Vancouver East (which I'm pretty sure I remember from an unflattering write up in the BC election) which was one of the most Dystopian (and upsetting) urban areas I've ever been in, including the grimmest parts of London and Sheffield. Hadn't really comprehended the scale of the opioid crisis (I assume it was fentanyl) until I saw that. That said, I'm pretty sure I got the wrong impression of the city, and would love to return to be proven wrong.

- I went to a Denny's, but was defeated by a pancake breakfast. Didn't go to a Tim Hortons though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »

https://www.theonion.com/that-trip-to-canada-really-broadened-my-horizons-1819583907
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:27:39 AM »

Great trip through the Rockies and westwards for my parent's anniversary.

My thoughts:

- the Rockies were pretty spectacular, but I would have preferred to find a campsite or something; it was all rather touristy driving from various site to another and I got remarkably little exercise considering we were up in the mountains. (Also, I don't know if it's me being biased from what I know from Albertan politics, but the Calgary outskirts we moved through from the airport looked Extremely dreary).

- Vancouver island is probably one of my favourite places I've ever been. Victoria is a very cute city, and nanaimo was fine as well. Also our Airbnb host was a mad aging hippy-venture capitalist who smoked pot every day and was - no joke - a Pizzagater who thought trump was mostly bad but was "working against the bigger evil". I would have had a political argument with him, but he was lending our whole group kayaks for free so I held my tongue.

- Vancouver itself was ... less nice. Both my college friend and my second cousin who we stayed with lived in the south (Surrey and delta respectively), both in suburbs that seemed to be prime examples of what people complain about when they talk of zoning regulations killing livable neighbourhoods (my friend, who desperately wants to come back to the UK and only came to Canada because she has to live there three years to get citizenship, was desperately bored). The city itself was also a bit of a letdown. Kitsilano was a nice area, as was Stanley park and Robson square where my friend dragged me to a tango lesson on a disused ice rink (?). However, there was also Vancouver East (which I'm pretty sure I remember from an unflattering write up in the BC election) which was one of the most Dystopian (and upsetting) urban areas I've ever been in, including the grimmest parts of London and Sheffield. Hadn't really comprehended the scale of the opioid crisis (I assume it was fentanyl) until I saw that. That said, I'm pretty sure I got the wrong impression of the city, and would love to return to be proven wrong.

- I went to a Denny's, but was defeated by a pancake breakfast. Didn't go to a Tim Hortons though.
Vancouver means 3 things to me:
1.the Canucks
II.it's where some bands like to record albums because it's cheap(er) and they have strip clubs that are both fully nude and serve alcohol (it's rare to have both in the US)
C.they make a lot sh**tty scifi movies and TV shows up there for the same reasons bands make albums

So, my question, did you go to the strip clubs and were you an extra in a ScyFy original movie?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »

Vancouver means ching chong to me.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:35:33 AM »

Thank you for sharing your experience,
I'm moving to either ON, Canada or MN, USA by October,
Still considering the job offers I've received and doing more research.

Go for Canada. Save yourself the healthcare and culture wars trouble.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies