Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)  (Read 139140 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2019, 09:11:11 AM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

Griff's 2002-2018 Animated Precinct Map

Know Your History (Election Results):
1988: President
1990: Senate | Governor
1992: President | Senate (General) | Senate (Runoff)
1994: Governor
1996: President | Senate
1998: Senate | Governor
2000: President | Senate
2002: Senate | Governor
2004: President | Senate
2006: Governor
2008: President | Senate (General) | Senate (Runoff)  
2010: Senate | Governor
2012: President
2014: Senate | Governor
2016: President | Senate

Know Your History (Runoffs):

Every candidate in Georgia elections (save for Presidential candidates) must receive 50% + 1 vote to win office. In the event no candidate - whether it be in a municipal, countywide, state legislative or statewide election - receives that amount, a runoff shall be held between the top two vote-getters 4 weeks (in the case of non-federal offices) or 8 weeks (in the case of federal offices) after the general election.

Fun Fact: Runoff requirements have been changed multiple times throughout Georgia history. Until 1993, the threshold for avoiding a runoff was 50% +1 vote. After Wyche Fowler lost his Senate seat to Paul Coverdell in a Senate runoff, the Democratic legislature changed the provision to 45% +1 vote, where it would remain until the GOP took the majority in the General Assembly. In 2005, the GOP majority reverted the runoff threshold to 50% +1 vote, where it has remained ever since.

Another Fun Fact: From 1936 to 1964, Georgia had laws on the books to ensure presidential runoffs would occur if no candidate received 50% +1 vote. In the event of a runoff, the Georgia General Assembly would decide the winner. This provision was never utilized, due to no candidate winning GA with a plurality during this time. This provision was scrapped in 1968 in support of George Wallace, who ended up winning the state with a plurality for the first time in history.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »

And a new day dawns in Georgia politics.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »

The King is dead, Long live the King
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »

I will not vote for Stacey Abrams if she does not visit UGA

Charlie Kirk has done more to earn my vote than her
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 06:29:06 PM »

I will not vote for Stacey Abrams if she does not visit UGA

Charlie Kirk has done more to earn my vote than her

A+ troll post
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:49:05 PM »

I doubt a public university would allow her to hold an event on campus as a candidate unless she was paying for it like Trump did when he went to Valdosta State.

She has had multiple events in Athens either way.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »

I have never heard of her Athens events.

I would really like my voice to be heard as Abrams is running a campaign of hearing everyones voices.

Kirk personally assisted me by showing me good brands of adult diapers in case my baby on the way ends up being a fatass. Abrams has done nothing in comparison
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:26 PM »

http://www.wbrc.com/story/38903793/outrage-expressed-over-proposal-to-close-most-randolph-co-polling-locations

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If this goes through, presumably it would lower turnout in Randolph County, a majority African-American County, something that would help Kemp... but is that the motive?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 07:46:41 PM »

http://www.wbrc.com/story/38903793/outrage-expressed-over-proposal-to-close-most-randolph-co-polling-locations

If this goes through, presumably it would lower turnout in Randolph County, a majority African-American County, something that would help Kemp... but is that the motive?
With Kemp's "I'm a gun totin' hick tryin' to save muh Southron heritage" campaign style, I do NOT believe this is a coincidence.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2018, 12:56:18 PM by libertpaulian »

BTW, for those who are nervous about the debt issue affecting Abrams' chances, I present to you the US House election in 2006 in Indiana District 2, between incumbent Republican Chris Chocola and Democrat Joe Donnelly:

http://articles.southbendtribune.com/2006-07-25/news/26962784_1_tax-payments-property-taxes-fall-tax-bill

Donnelly would not only go on to win that election as well as in 2008 and 2010---he became Senator in 2012!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2018, 03:07:59 PM by 136or142 »

This is beyond a joke how Georgia Republicans are trying to deny voting rights and nobody here seems to be genuinely outraged about it.  Yet, Andrew Cuomo makes some silly comment and it generates tons of comments.

You think this might have something to do with making it more difficult for Democrats to vote?

This especially annoys me because of all the crap from the 'both sides are equally bad' idiots that Republicans aren't really authoritarians and really do believe in democracy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 06:18:49 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2018, 06:22:22 PM by Virginiá »

People don't care about it because it's not something blatant (to them) like some guy getting caught on video creating fake votes, or a literacy test, which has a unique place in history. Even poll taxes are being indirectly used in New Hampshire (and arguably other states) with voter registration requirements like paying hundreds of dollars to register a car, and yet no one really seems to care, including the Republicans who passed the law and didn't seem to think it was an egregious abuse of power. It's just indirect enough for people to not care. Also, for as blatant as something can be, it needs to actually happen first before people get upset. I think if African Americans went to vote in November and were almost all turned back for some reason, it would spark outrage. But as it stands now, black voters know Republicans are trying to stop them from voting, and lots of activists have been ringing this bell for a while. It's become normalized.

I've pretty much accepted that people are never going to give a crap about this so long as the restrictions are semi-subtle changes that don't instantly block a massive number of otherwise-reliable voters from voting - including white voters.

-

Anyway, I feel like there is a pretty good chance this decision and others like it get overturned. It's not like they are just closing one or two. This is almost all of them, and in a state with a history of black voter suppression, what's actually going on seems clear cut.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:56 PM »

Article shows up in this evening's NYT website on Stacey Abrams and gives a very good insight on her political skills and her ability to work with the other side:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/19/us/politics/stacey-abrams-georgia.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:11:49 PM »

Brian Kemp is a steaming pile of sh-t. Why anyone thinks he will be good for all Georgians is beyond me. He can’t keep up with Stacey in terms of policies or intellect so he just shuts down polling precincts where she will get damn near 100% of the vote.

To the DPG’s credit they have a voter protection group assembled should anything occur at polling places once voting starts. I just hope the pieces haven’t already been put in place to steal this election.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 04:54:00 AM »

I don't know about racist, but it certainly indicates the Republican hypocrisy of their proclaimed new love for the 'working class.'
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »

Brian Kemp is a steaming pile of sh-t. Why anyone thinks he will be good for all Georgians is beyond me. He can’t keep up with Stacey in terms of policies or intellect so he just shuts down polling precincts where she will get damn near 100% of the vote.

To the DPG’s credit they have a voter protection group assembled should anything occur at polling places once voting starts. I just hope the pieces haven’t already been put in place to steal this election.

Sweet Jesus.... What was the source of that bit of literature?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »

Something I just noticed - while not particularly meaningful - is that in the PSC race, Democrats outvoted Republicans in the primary:

PSC District 3:
Democrats: 477,571
Republicans: 471,261
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »

Sweet Jesus.... What was the source of that bit of literature?
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/georgia-voter-suppression-brian-kemps-bid-for-governor-depends-on-erasing-the-black-vote-its-working.html
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »

This kind of stuff is nothing new. Notice how it said 10 other counties (most of which are heavily-black) have done the same in effect? The only sigh of relief I can muster is that Randolph County only gave Democrats a net gain of 117 votes in 2014 (1110-993). I don't know if the Chairman is a Republican or just a Dixiecrat but if it's the latter then it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they're trying to gut black representation in favor of white Democrats (see below).

Also, let's not forget that Nathan Deal & Brian Kemp also brought the full force of their offices and the Georgia State Patrol to forcibly remove three black school board members in Brooks County after they organized a campaign in 2010 to encourage vote by mail - which led to a black majority on the school board for the first time, and the ouster of the white Democratic majority who initiated said witchhunt - and went around intimidating every black voter in the county literally on their doorsteps. They were all acquitted four years later.

Oh, and that ignores the intimidation of organizations like New Georgia Project & AALAC by threatening legal action against them for purportedly registering voters incorrectly. Neither investigation found any (legal) wrongdoing.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »

This kind of stuff is nothing new. Notice how it said 10 other counties (most of which are heavily-black) have done the same in effect? The only sigh of relief I can muster is that Randolph County only gave Democrats a net gain of 117 votes in 2014 (1110-993). I don't know if the Chairman is a Republican or just a Dixiecrat but if it's the latter then it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they're trying to gut black representation in favor of white Democrats (see below).

Also, let's not forget that Nathan Deal & Brian Kemp also brought the full force of their offices and the Georgia State Patrol to forcibly remove three black school board members in Brooks County after they organized a campaign in 2010 to encourage vote by mail - which led to a black majority on the school board for the first time, and the ouster of the white Democratic majority who initiated said witchhunt - and went around intimidating every black voter in the county literally on their doorsteps. They were all acquitted four years later.

Oh, and that ignores the intimidation of organizations like New Georgia Project & AALAC by threatening legal action against them for purportedly registering voters incorrectly. Neither investigation found any (legal) wrongdoing.

Obviously both are FFs Smiley
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »

I don't know about racist, but it certainly indicates the Republican hypocrisy of their proclaimed new love for the 'working class.'

Haven't you heard? "Working class" only applies to white people in rural areas. Anyone apart from them are "elitists."
SCNCmod

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »

I could see Republican's being so worried about losing this race... that they end up beating themselves through all the underhanded stunts they try to pull.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »

I could see Republican's being so worried about losing this race... that they end up beating themselves through all the underhanded stunts they try to pull.
Essentially McCrory vs. Cooper all over again.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »

Essentially McCrory vs. Cooper all over again.

I could also see the state leg revolting like they did in NC without Deal there to tamper them down some
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »

I could also see the state leg revolting like they did in NC without Deal there to tamper them down some

Maybe I don't give them enough credit, but I have hard time imagining that won't happen - at least in regards to redistricting. One of the first things they are going to want to do is get a constitutional amendment on 2020's ballot to take the Governor's veto power over maps away. Although afaik Republicans are just shy of a supermajority needed to do that, but leaning on some self-centered Democratic lawmakers is always possible with such few extra votes needed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies