Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:08:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)  (Read 139114 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »

I could see Republican's being so worried about losing this race... that they end up beating themselves through all the underhanded stunts they try to pull.
Essentially McCrory vs. Cooper all over again.

I tend to think Cooper won on his on merit ... not really b/c of all of the Republican shenanigans.  Cooper was much more likeable than McCrory & Cooper ran a smart campaign... even campaigning in smaller rural counties- which made the difference.  My mom is an Obama-Trump voter (now 100% Trump/ FoxNews) ... and she voted for Cooper with full support- based in large part on being invited to a campaign meeting him when he came to my parents small rural county.  Winning over as many voters from rural areas is key for Dems winning close races (which often just showing up makes the difference)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »

I could see Republican's being so worried about losing this race... that they end up beating themselves through all the underhanded stunts they try to pull.
Essentially McCrory vs. Cooper all over again.

I tend to think Cooper won on his on merit ... not really b/c of all of the Republican shenanigans.  Cooper was much more likeable than McCrory & Cooper ran a smart campaign... even campaigning in smaller rural counties- which made the difference.  My mom is an Obama-Trump voter (now 100% Trump/ FoxNews) ... and she voted for Cooper with full support- based in large part on being invited to a campaign meeting him when he came to my parents small rural county.  Winning over as many voters from rural areas is key for Dems winning close races (which often just showing up makes the difference)
Abrams seems to be following a similar strategy by barnstorming rural and small-town counties.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:16 PM »

Is Stacey being single an issue for her? I know some black voters can be pretty traditional.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »

Is Stacey being single an issue for her? I know some black voters can be pretty traditional.
Did you miss when she won 76 percent of the vote in a primary electorate that was 60 percent black? Smiley
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 11:39:35 PM »

No. Voters won’t care about her relationship status.
ajwiopjawefoiwefnwn
JaydonBrooks
Rookie
United States
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »

No. Voters won’t care about her relationship status.
Agreed. Why would it disqualify her if she was single?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 10:39:38 AM »

Many posters here are stuck in the 50s, in more ways than one lol.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »

This is beyond a joke how Georgia Republicans are trying to deny voting rights and nobody here seems to be genuinely outraged about it.  Yet, Andrew Cuomo makes some silly comment and it generates tons of comments.

You think this might have something to do with making it more difficult for Democrats to vote?

This especially annoys me because of all the crap from the 'both sides are equally bad' idiots that Republicans aren't really authoritarians and really do believe in democracy.

It's a majority black county.  It's run by Republicans?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »

The latest RGA ad is another hit on her taxes, I wonder what the story is about her loaning her campaign $50K. It really undercuts her a bit on the issue and weird it's almost the exact amount she owes to the IRS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FEMine86M&feature=youtu.be
BundouYMB

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »

This is beyond a joke how Georgia Republicans are trying to deny voting rights and nobody here seems to be genuinely outraged about it.  Yet, Andrew Cuomo makes some silly comment and it generates tons of comments.

You think this might have something to do with making it more difficult for Democrats to vote?

This especially annoys me because of all the crap from the 'both sides are equally bad' idiots that Republicans aren't really authoritarians and really do believe in democracy.

County officials aren't responsible for the closings. They were orchestrated by... SoS Brian Kemp!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »

This is beyond a joke how Georgia Republicans are trying to deny voting rights and nobody here seems to be genuinely outraged about it.  Yet, Andrew Cuomo makes some silly comment and it generates tons of comments.

County officials aren't responsible for the closings. They were orchestrated by... SoS Brian Kemp!

Where do you get this information?   

Every article I have seen on this says it is a decision of the county elections board. The huffpo article even says that Kemp opposes the idea.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

This is beyond a joke how Georgia Republicans are trying to deny voting rights and nobody here seems to be genuinely outraged about it.  Yet, Andrew Cuomo makes some silly comment and it generates tons of comments.

Where do you get this information?   

Every article I have seen on this says it is a decision of the county elections board. The huffpo article even says that Kemp opposes the idea.

This is correct.  It would be out of character for Kemp to be behind something like this.  He's done some good things during his term as SoS to help expand voting, such as implementing AVR. 

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »

There's a very plausible explanation here which is that they are being super careful about not being sued for an ADA violation, and they are not willing to expend any more effort than necessary in order to do come up with a better solution.

There may be a more partisan / factional motivation here, but it isn't required either for explaining this action nor for saying it's something they shouldn't do.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2018, 08:19:45 PM »

There's a very plausible explanation here which is that they are being super careful about not being sued for an ADA violation, and they are not willing to expend any more effort than necessary in order to do come up with a better solution.

There may be a more partisan / factional motivation here, but it isn't required either for explaining this action nor for saying it's something they shouldn't do.

That's true, but it's equally plausible that their primary motivation is the partisan one, and ADA compliance is a conveniently legitimate excuse.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »

I suppose there technically could be, but this doesn't pass the smell test - not by a mile.

For instance:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This seems like a brazen act of voter suppression in a state with a history of voter suppression, directed by a person with a history of voter suppression, who just happens to be involved in a competitive gubernatorial election.

Who in their right mind would ask for almost all of a county's polling places to be shut down for disability access violations? Where are people supposed to vote? And how in the world is the logical answer to a small portion of disabled voters having a hard(er) time voting to instead make sure the vast majority of other voters can't vote either? Even groups whose mission is to make sure disabled people can vote don't advocate shutting them down.

If this was legitimate concern for disabled voters, they would have strived to bring the sites up to code or to find new buildings to use. Instead, he pushed for them to be closed down and said he wasn't hired to find other buildings.

Also, seems like we'll be seeing this tactic abused elsewhere:

https://thinkprogress.org/ada-voter-suppression-cd7031080bfd/
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »

I just had a beautiful dream that a new AJC poll had Abrams up 48-44 and she was winning 12% of self-identified Conservatives. Ugh. Sad
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »

I just had a beautiful dream that a new AJC poll had Abrams up 48-44 and she was winning 12% of self-identified Conservatives. Ugh. Sad

Dreaming about polls is perhaps a sign that you need a break from politics. Wink
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »

Dreaming about polls is perhaps a sign that you need a break from politics. Wink
I’m literally doing politics for a living for the next 2.5 months. LOL. I don’t know how or why anyone can do this year after year. Once I get Stacey elected this is it.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »

My question then is how far will these people have to drive to vote? And why are they just closing them all down with seemingly no effort to bring them up to code?

Obviously the partisan angle is touchy for me but I generally dislike any efforts to keep anyone from voting, whether it be Democrats or Republicans. I think it's distasteful and an affront to our democracy. Also, I've seen it mentioned in a few articles, but Randolph county isn't the only county that this guy went to recommending polling site closures. How many others were shut down, and where?

Anyway, regardless of why this happened, proceeding with this plan would look really bad. They would be wise to abandon it and find a way to keep an equivalent (give or take) number of sites open.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »

Happy ending, perhaps:

QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 05:00:24 PM »

Happy ending, perhaps:

Good, I hope it doesn’t pass. I hope both Abrams and Barrow hammer their opponents over this.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »

Abrams drew huge crowds down in Ben Hill, Echols, and Lowndes counties today. When I hear her speak she is really hitting her stride her focus is squarely on that Governor’s mansion. Cheesy
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »

Abrams drew huge crowds down in Ben Hill, Echols, and Lowndes counties today. When I hear her speak she is really hitting her stride her focus is squarely on that Governor’s mansion. Cheesy

Yeah, looks like the VSU event drew 250-300 people easily. The indoor venue was for 160 and there were 100+ outside who couldn't get inside.

With the campaign consistently exceeding capacity at stops in less-than-friendly places all around the state, I wonder if they're ever going to start booking bigger venues? Cheesy

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2018, 03:11:07 AM »

I'm going to fill out the OP in this thread with some vital stats and info; any recommendations would be appreciated. Here's what I briefly already added:

Know Your History (Election Results):
1988: President
1990: Senate | Governor
1992: President | Senate (General) | Senate (Runoff)
1994: Governor
1996: President | Senate
1998: Senate | Governor
2000: President | Senate
2002: Senate | Governor
2004: President | Senate
2006: Governor
2008: President | Senate (General) | Senate (Runoff)  
2010: Senate | Governor
2012: President
2014: Senate | Governor
2016: President | Senate

Know Your History (Runoffs):

Every candidate in Georgia elections (save for Presidential candidates) must receive 50% + 1 vote to win office. In the event no candidate - whether it be in a municipal, countywide, state legislative or statewide election - receives that amount, a runoff shall be held between the top two vote-getters 4 weeks (in the case of non-federal offices) or 8 weeks (in the case of federal offices) after the general election.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies