Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:42:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread! (v2)  (Read 140720 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 18, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »

I was walking through the living room last night and heard some kind of campaign commercial. Practically everything we hear here is TN Senate and Governor campaigns, so I wasn't paying much attention...but something caught my ear. Unfortunately, people were yakking in there, but I gathered that it was an attack ad against Brian Kemp over massage parlors and it sounded really nasty (great job!).

So apparently there are two of them? I can't find the first one (which from the looks of it was pretty cheesy), but here's the other one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BXpgFxVsyU
https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/kemp-demands-stations-pull-attack-ads/aOOMsG7Y0cmcGOOnMHvUwN/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Love to see Dems being willing to play dirty for once. It's only fair given what Republicans have done for the past 50 years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kemp et al purposefully made the "53k" issue a noisy one so they could feign outrage and potentially disenfranchise voters. Essentially, nothing changes for those who meet the requirements to vote under normal circumstances (i.e. they just have to show a photo ID when they vote), but if some of these people hear about how some registrations might not be valid and find they're one of them, then they might not show up...

A grassroots-heavy campaign like Abrams' should easily be able to counter such disinformation, though... right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »

In my opinion, Abrams should have used her segment on Morning Joe to explain to those 53,000 voters that effectively nothing has changed, and that all they need to do is show their photo IDs when they go vote (as they would have to do anyway). Instead, she spent that time talking about how bad both Kemp and the situation were.

IIRC, they have the list of people, so they can always send them mailers explaining the situation and maybe even call some of them too. That would probably be worth the money.

Maybe they can even use the situation to goad them into voting by reminding them how much the other party doesn't want them to vote.

Yeah, I think it's actually a smart strategy of Abrams to make this a big deal publicly (hopefully riling up more voters not directly affected by this to turn out) while quietly explaining people affected by it how they can still vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:24:36 PM »

AJC has a new poll out exclusively of women tomorrow.

I have an idea. They can partner with the AARP and get a solid majority of the electorate.

More likely they would do the opposite, and poll only female Seniors. Just what we need, a poll of only female Seniors!

They should combine forces with MoScout and poll only one state senate district.

Brilliant. A Latino Decisions-AARP-MoScout poll for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution of only Latino female Seniors in 1 Senate district. Make it a Senate district somewhere in rural Georgia where there is a really low Latino population, and maybe it will be possible for it to be a poll of only a single voter.

100% accuracy!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »

Georgia is a third-world State.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »

Glad to see Democrats finally breaking the law to reverse all the GOP's voter shenanigans!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Freedom policy! I wish Dems would put that into law in the States they control.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 11:42:40 PM »

Freedom policy! I wish Dems would put that into law in the States they control.

Except, perhaps, they should only get the $ off if they actually vote.

More generally, perhaps all voters in general should receive a tax credit for voting, as a way to increase turnout. Although the 24th amendment prohibits poll taxes, it does not prohibit poll tax credits. Of course, if voters wanted to, they could always cast a blank ballot, and can vote for whoever they want. But give the people an incentive to vote and raise voter turnout.

Other benefits are already conferred on voters, though generally of a smaller nature. A simple example is giving voters a sticker for voting - a sticker is not worth much, but it is not nothing. It is a small benefit, but nonetheless is a benefit and establishes a precedent of giving voters a benefit for voting.

Seems like a good policy to me.

Exactly! Ideally the pride of doing one's civic duty should be enough, but since nobody gives a sh*t about citizenship anymore we need more tangible incentives.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 10:39:27 PM »

Voted for Kemp today!  He will be a great Governor for all Georgians!  I see him getting about 50.5% on election day and avoiding the runoff!

That is not his purpose for running. He is running for Rich White Male Georgia and Rich White Male Georgia only.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:43:26 PM »

You can always count on IceSpear to come out in defense of the real victims here, rich people.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 11:34:01 PM »

You can always count on IceSpear to come out in defense of the real victims here, rich people.

I like how you didn't respond to the actual point. Rich white men mostly want "illegals" in the country to exploit them for cheap labor. Kemp, like Trump, rails against them to cater to the actual Republican base in Georgia, the Racist GA Hicks.

Well you didn't respond to my point in the other thread, so that's two of us.

Anyway, this doesn't even need to be stated if you're not completely obtuse but there's a pretty big difference between catering to a group with campaign slogans and actually governing on their behalf when the election is over.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »

Kemp is and always will be an illegitimate Governor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 11:39:30 PM »

The only reason he avoided a runoff is through massive voter suppression.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 11:46:44 PM »

The only reason he avoided a runoff is through massive voter suppression.
That poster prefers to be willfully ignorant about the calculated actions of the GOP to keep “unfavorables” from voting. Don’t even bother with her.

Of course, he's a Reasonable Smiley Smiley Smiley Pragmatic Smiley Smiley Smiley Republican. Reasonable Smiley Smiley Smiley Pragmatic Smiley Smiley Smiley Republicans' motto has always been "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:25 AM »

People who had a right to vote were prevented from voting. I don't give a flying f**k if it's technically "legal" Smiley Smiley Smiley or not (guess what, dipsh*ts, slavery and Jim Crow were also "legal") - it is and always will be illegitimate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »

Is Abrams campaigning for Barrow at all? She should be.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »

So Democrats are completely blowing this race because "who cares, we lost the Gubernatorial election". I really  f**king hate this party tbh.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »

So Democrats are completely blowing this race because "who cares, we lost the Gubernatorial election". I really  f**king hate this party tbh.
The state party is doing a bunch of canvasses and phonebanks statewide Saturday-Tuesday. I plan on volunteering Sunday and Monday. In Democrat’s defense, several of the Metro Atlanta counties have less early vote locations than the general and the locations are located in white areas. Fulton only has two open in Alpharetta and Buckhead, completely ignoring the city of Atlanta most favorable to Democrats and the universally black South Fulton area.

Good luck! You're doing good work.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 10:35:05 PM »

The state party is doing a bunch of canvasses and phonebanks statewide Saturday-Tuesday. I plan on volunteering Sunday and Monday. In Democrat’s defense, several of the Metro Atlanta counties have less early vote locations than the general and the locations are located in white areas. Fulton only has two open in Alpharetta and Buckhead, completely ignoring the city of Atlanta most favorable to Democrats and the universally black South Fulton area.

Good luck! You're doing god's work.
FIFY

Fair Cheesy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »

Well if people don't vote they shouldn't complain about the sh*tty representation they get. F**king morons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »

Abrams voters who didn't show up today got exactly what they deserved.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:45 PM »

Fulton still hasn't reported anything, lmao.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »

honestly, and I know how low a bar this is, but this really isnt that bad a result considering it was a runoff and howEV numbers looked.

That's expectations-game bullsh*t. Given the Nov. 6 results, there's no reason why Democrats couldn't have won that race - if they cared to actually move their lazy asses and go vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

The seeming long-term slump of Black turnout after 2012 is a really worrying trend in American politics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies