Farm Subsidies Abolition Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:30:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Farm Subsidies Abolition Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Farm Subsidies Abolition Bill  (Read 18206 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: October 10, 2005, 02:34:56 PM »

I wonder how long it will take till someone proposes an ammendment that will completely water this down.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:35:56 PM »

Woah, Woah

Wait a second here...

I'm all for slashing farm subsities, but completely getting rid of them, no.  The problem is that most of the money that we put into farm subsities just goes to the cooperate farmers, anyway.  If we take the full amount of money that goes into this, and then subtract 90% of all that which goes to corperate farms, and then rewrite the law to make it so that only family farms can get the aid, then I would be all for this proposal, and it would still save us a Hell of a lot of money.

Someone, please amend this.
It will not happen, they are destroying every type of federal aid. Shame

If they continue this assult on federal aid, I might be forced to take some drastic measures, and I am drawing the line with this bill.

Secession. Kiss
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 02:11:16 AM »

New Zealand relies on agricultural resources much more than Atlasia, and it abolished farm subsidies in 1984 without suffering any sort of agricultural downfall while saving federal money.

Agriculture is far more prolific in, say, New Zealand than it is in Atlasia.  Because of that, you get a lot of variety in the market.  New Zealand does not have the same kind of massive conglomerates that we have here in Atlasia.  If the Agroloplies are all that is left, then there really is not much preventing an epidemic from wiping out certain agricultural populations, due to lack of variation in the species and in their locations.  Supporting smaller farms gives us, at least, some defense agains this possibility.

Ever heard of insurance?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Many parts of the world would be having their own suceseful farming if it weren't for ours and EU's subsisides. Fram subsisides kill people in the third world everyday!

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:31:38 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2005, 12:39:57 PM by Governor Mordac »

New Zealand relies on agricultural resources much more than Atlasia, and it abolished farm subsidies in 1984 without suffering any sort of agricultural downfall while saving federal money.

Agriculture is far more prolific in, say, New Zealand than it is in Atlasia.  Because of that, you get a lot of variety in the market.  New Zealand does not have the same kind of massive conglomerates that we have here in Atlasia.  If the Agroloplies are all that is left, then there really is not much preventing an epidemic from wiping out certain agricultural populations, due to lack of variation in the species and in their locations.  Supporting smaller farms gives us, at least, some defense agains this possibility.

Ever heard of insurance?

Ever heard of famine?

Scaremongering. If we end subsidies, domestic outputnwill increase, not decrease, and this is a red herring, because it was not what we were talking about. If there are bad weather conditions in a given year we can just buy food from someone else.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Many parts of the world would be having their own suceseful farming if it weren't for ours and EU's subsisides. Fram subsisides kill people in the third world everyday!
[/quote]

This was already discussed, in detail.  Pull the subsidies away now would cause millions of deaths, because the people in those regions are not prepared to farm for themselves.  We talked this out.
[/quote]

I guess you mean Africa, becuase that's the only World Region I can think off that does not bitch about having no market for their excess output due to EU and US farm subsidies. As for Africa, most of Africa's trade relationships are with the EU, not us, and even if they were, the reason they can't buy food is becuase they are burneded by their own protectionism. Nothing we could do could change that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies