What state should the GOP be the most worried about in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:20:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What state should the GOP be the most worried about in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What state should the GOP be the most worried about in 2020?
Wisconsin

Pennsylvania

Florida

Ohio

Arizona

Michigan

North Carolina

Georgia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: What state should the GOP be the most worried about in 2020?  (Read 1104 times)
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:26:59 AM »

I vote for Wisconsin. I think that Florida and Ohio are lean R states right now and it will be very tough for democrats there but Wisconsin is a state if dems can win back it should worry the GOP.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:54:03 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2018, 12:58:20 AM by Da2017 »

If on offense and have a good chance of holding on to Wisconsin and Pennsylvania plus other Trump states I'd make plays for Michigan. I would add Minnesota.

If on defense and looking to edge out a win I would focus on shoring up Florida.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:01:33 AM »

Florida
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »

There are plenty that the Republicans will have to compete in, but you're asking which state is the most likely to flip, I'd definitely say Michigan.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 05:12:50 AM »

A tie between Pennsylvania and Florida.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 05:42:31 AM »

Florida due to its huge electoral influence and that their path requires them to hold all the rest of Trump states to win or win at least one of MN, NV, or NH. Republicans only need to win one of MI, PA, or WI to win an election so long as they win Florida (that is assuming they hold AZ, IA, NC, and OH) but without it they need all of them.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »

Pennsylvania, according to the best data available. Michigan is simply gone, and Wisconsin seems to be going out of reach. Pennsylvania is now the tipping-point state.

I may be ahead of myself here, but agriculture is going to turn against Trump because the trade wars will hurt farmers and ranchers -- especially those that grow or raise commodities for export. Tax cuts? They depend upon income!

Pennsylvania is less agricultural than Michigan or Wisconsin.

Florida? They could lose with Florida (which was the difference between 303 and 332 electoral votes for Obama, and that Republicans won in 1992 while losing the Presidential election). Arizona? That's bad, too. Ohio? They are not going to win Ohio and lose Pennsylvania.   North Carolina? They won't win without it, but they lose with it. 

Iowa went for Obama twice and went by nearly 9% for Trump, and I don't see it going by any more than 2% under the best of circumstances for Republicans .  It has but it has only six electoral votes, but it will have a difficult incumbent to defend in 2020, and if Democrats have not taken over the Senate, this will be a brittle target for Democrats.  Republicans can lose Iowa and win the Presidential election by winning Pennsylvania.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:17:08 AM »

Florida or Pennsylvania. If Republicans win both they win the election.

I think Wisconsin and Michigan vote to the left of Pennsylvania.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »

1.Michigan
2.Arizona
2.Wisconsin
4.Pennsylvania
5.Florida
6.Ohio
7.North Carolina
8.Georgia
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »

Arizona
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Michigan
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:35 PM »

Arizona
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »

I guess Michigan, since it is probably the most likely Trump state to flip. Though Trump can win without it. I guess though, if it is flipping Wisconsin and maybe even Pennsylvania would too.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 07:34:55 PM »

As someone else pretty much already said, Michigan is the most likely to flip but Florida is the most critical state to win.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »

In order --

he cannot win Michigan again, and he has probably lost Wisconsin.

This leaves

Pennsylvania (tipping point)
Florida
Arizona
North Carolina
Ohio
Georgia
Texas
Indiana
Iowa

Iowa is at the bottom because he can win without it.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »

In order --

This leaves

Florida
Arizona
North Carolina
Ohio
Georgia
Texas
Indiana
Iowa

You can't call an election over 2 years away! He absolutely can win MI and Wisconsin again. The states are overall very white demographically.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 07:18:53 AM »

In order --

This leaves

Florida
Arizona
North Carolina
Ohio
Georgia
Texas
Indiana
Iowa

You can't call an election over 2 years away! He absolutely can win MI and Wisconsin again. The states are overall very white demographically.

So are Vermont and Minnesota and he lost both. He also lost NH, even if by a slim margin he still lost and is not popular there now.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »

In order --

This leaves

Florida
Arizona
North Carolina
Ohio
Georgia
Texas
Indiana
Iowa

No, but I can see big problems. Donald Trump is going to need either miracles or cheating, if not both, to win re-election.

I already see Republicans losing governorships in Michigan and Wisconsin two and a half months away, and Trump will need the help of Republican pols to win those states. He can still lose both and win. (Iowa and Wisconsin usually vote in tandem due to similar demographics, the 2004 election putting them in opposite columns only because both stats were incredibly close to going for Dubya or Kerry In fact he can lose both states and Iowa and still win. But he must win every other state on that list.

Pennsylvania is the tipping-point state, whatever goes on in Iowa. If he is going to lose Michigan and Wisconsin, then Pennsylvania is the difference between 259 and 279 electoral votes for either. If he loses Iowa as well as Michigan and Wisconsin, then Pennsylvania is the difference between 265 and 285 electoral votes for the Democratic nominee. Trump needs not sweat Iowa because there is no state with five or fewer electoral votes that went for him in 2016 that was close to him losing.  Iowa matters if he should lose Montana and both NE-02 and NE-02 -- but such implies more contingencies.

OK: every state in my list defeats Trump if he loses it. Arizona and Indiana both do the trick themselves with only 11 electoral votes -- which means that the Democrat gets 270 electoral votes. North Carolina also does the trick. But -- he is not going to lose Ohio without also losing Pennsylvania, and he is not going to lose Indiana without losing both Pennsylvania and Ohio. He's not going to win Georgia without also winning one of Florida and North Carolina. I don't see him winning Texas without also winning Arizona (does the trick), Florida (does the trick), North Carolina (does the trick), and Georgia (does the trick). Texas going to the Democratic nominee in 2020 indicates that the Democrat has won over 400 electoral votes, which is about where it was in every Presidential election since 2008. Texas goes D if the well-educated white voters of Texas
turn to the same degree in Texas as they do in, for example, Illinois.

I'll go further. Missouri (which I consider gone in Presidential elections for Democrats for the foreseeable future) will be enough to get a 269-269 tie in the Electoral college, and either ME-02 or NE-02 puts the Democratic nominee over the top. But the Democrat is not going to win Missouri without also winning Iowa. Back to Montana: Trump is not lo9sing Montana without also losing Arizona.     

Of the states in the list, Pennsylvania will be the most difficult for Trump to win.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »

Michigan is the Trump state most likely to flip.  Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are the most likely tipping point states, though I could see a case for Florida or Arizona.
UncleSam

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »

I voted Georgia due to the wording of the question. Honestly Michigan is a luxury, not something to worry about, for a Republican. There’s a good argument to be made for Pennsylvania as the tipping point state, but ultimately I think that these are states the GOP will be competing in on even ground with the Democrats - I wouldn’t say the GOP has the right to worry about these states, as they are at best tossups.

The state that is red currently that therefore the GOP should be worried about losing (and therefore making their electoral math much harder) is Georgia. Democrats did not seriously contest it in 2016 and lost by 6, and with four more years of demographic change plus the high chance that the next nominee will enthuse the base and minorities more than Hillary did (and the dem base is massive in Georgia when compared to the partisan lean of the state), means that Georgia is a sleeper state to actually start to approach tipping point status. I could easily see Trump holding Ohio, Nc, Florida, and even Wisconsin or PA while losing Georgia and thus the election.

Arizona is my second choice, though I think Arizona is much less likely to swing Dem strongly than Georgia is - Arizona has a smaller black population and has a much more vocal moderate, disaffected R coalition that will prop up the GOP for a long time in that state, in spite of the long term trends. Georgia has very few swing voters by comparison, and once it is gone it will be completely hopeless for the GOP, similar to Virginia.

So ya, Georgia. I guess Pennsylvania if you want to give the GOP the right to worry about it, but I don’t think that’s the correct terminology. I would say focused on Pennsylvania and worried about Georgia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies