Would you date/marry someone of a very different ideology?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:35:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you date/marry someone of a very different ideology?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Would you date/marry someone of a very different ideology?  (Read 4291 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2018, 07:14:04 PM by MB »

...and if so, how far would you go?

I'd be open to dating really, anyone, with a few exceptions. If you're good with me, I'm good with you.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

many times. right now i'm seeing someone that doesn't support universal healthcare
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 02:19:03 PM »

Yes, as long as she's not extreme. No Nazi, no Commie, no white supremacist, far-right socially, very conservative Muslima or a hardcore conspiracy theorist. Probably it would also be very difficult for me if my girlfriend was very anti-American in general and/or strongly opposed to the European Union.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »

I'd date/marry anyone within the normal spectrum of American politics, but I know I'd have one heck of a hard time dating an ardently, unapologetically pro-choice person. Obviously Nazis, communists, and people who call for political violence are excluded also.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

I am/am probably going to.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »

My wife comes from a family that was indoctrinated to Hillsdale style conservatism. Since we've been together and gotten married, she has moved way to the center. Im sure she wouldn't consider or call herself liberal. She's still pretty conservative socially, not far off from where I am, but she is fervently anti-trump, has become immigrant sympathetic and pro-access to healthcare, and has realized the Hillsdale people are nuts and that the Obama administration was not so bad.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 03:35:47 PM »

If I were actively dating, honestly, probably not.  Same goes with religion.

I've completely lost interest in relationships, though.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »

I guess it would depend on what those differences actually are and how strongly we feel about them.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »

Depends on how different we're talking about. I could handle someone who disagrees with me but could defend their ideology with facts and logic. I definitely couldn't date a Nazi/racist/anyone who condones violence against innocent people.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »

I would be happy to date someone with a different ideology as long as they are honest and not smug or condescending about it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »

Of course provided they had a temperament that made it all tolerable. My partner and I disagree on many topics. It's fine.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »

My gf is a communist, it's very possible
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »

If her political matrix social and economic scores aren’t between 1 and -1, I will not have sexual relations with her.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

Different ideology and views, sure.

It's good to have some ideological differences with people in life. This includes significant others.

Completely different worldview? No.

For example:

No to extremists:
- No Nazis/Racists/White Supremacists (as a ethnic and religious minority this is obvsly a no-go and also because good people don't date nazis)
- No Communists/Marxists/Stalinists (as someone whose family has lived through communism I can safely say I will not date someone who would ideologically try to explain away my family's experiences).

No to someone who's core values differ from my own:
- No Anti-Zionists (should be obvious why)
- No die-hard social conservatives (Yea, as a bisexual, I can safely say no to a relationship w/ an anti-LGBT person)
- No militant atheists or ultra-secular people (I want a Jewish family, believe in a two-gender binary and a somewhat traditional societal outlook)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 09:37:31 PM »

I have no issues with romantic involvement with those who differ from me ideologically. However I wouldn't be open to involvement with someone on the extreme for the left or right, especially if they encourage violence towards others.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »

I have no issues with romantic involvement with those who differ from me ideologically.

Well, I'd hope so. It'd be pretty slim pickings if you were holding out for a Green Libertarian Republican Stein/Gillespie voter. Wink
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »

I have no issues with romantic involvement with those who differ from me ideologically.

Well, I'd hope so. It'd be pretty slim pickings if you were holding out for a Green Libertarian Republican Stein/Gillespie voter. Wink

At least I have pickings. No sane person would settle for you, regardless of ideology.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »

At least I have pickings. No sane person would settle for you, regardless of ideology.

I got lucky a couple times, though their sanity is indeed questionable.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »

of course! not a fcking republican though
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 04:44:18 AM »

Sure, I would
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 06:03:19 AM »

I already have in the past.

Of course all of my relationship ended in disaster, but it's because I keep ing up, not due to ideological differences Smiley
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »

I wouldn’t marry a non-Catholic so probably no. However, they don’t have to have the same economic or foreign policies beliefs as me, but I’m particular about their views on social issues. Dating is completely different because dating is pretty stupid these days.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »

I already have (sort of), although that was before I was a political junkie. I could date a Libertarian or maybe even a conservative of sorts, but it really depends on a few things. If they are some extreme pro-lifer or a religious fundamentalist, I doubt it would work out and I'm not entirely sure I would want to try either. Also, if they are a hyper-partisan Trump supporter, absolutely not. It's probably fair to say that my disgust with Trump is so deep right now that I'd be unable to move past that in a date, at least until he's out of office and the country has moved on. I'm much too political for that. I'd probably be arguing with them every day!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »

I wouldn’t marry a non-Catholic so probably no. However, they don’t have to have the same economic or foreign policies beliefs as me, but I’m particular about their views on social issues.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »

Since I can tell you are being quite genuine, I will totally respond genuinely, too!!!!! Tongue

My girlfriend is a very liberal registered Democrat (that is someone who registers as a Democrat, PNM), and we often discuss politics from opposite sides.  My dad being a (Republican) CFO of a hospital (and me sharing many of his views on healthcare finance) and her being a nurse has created some very interesting and, of course, debate-filled conversations about healthcare and what to do about it, for example.

However, she is a normal, kind and empathetic person ... so this is not an issue, LOL.  On Atlas, this virtue is mocked, but she has the attitude that someone you like for another reason - like because they are nice or caring, for example - but disagrees with you on politics PROBABLY just sees things differently and thinks that their solutions would be better for the problem.  She doesn't agree with me on a whole lot, but she respects my views.  We have both changed each other's minds on a few things, as well.

Excluding the fringes (nazism, for example), I think anyone answering a flat "no" to this question really needs to re-evaluate the way they look at life.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies