Trump pardon after he leaves office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:51:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pardon after he leaves office?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump pardon after he leaves office?  (Read 1281 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:59:06 AM »

If Trump is indicted for campaign finance violations or more things to come out after he leaves office, will he ask for a pardon or get one? I thought about a weird situation when his successor has to decide upon whether the 46th president allows the 45th to (potentially) go to jail or not. Despite the bitterness of the 2020 campaign, number 46 may just decide that we cannot allow a former President of the United States going to prison. And would Trump, to get a pardon, agree to any conditions like a public admission of his wrongdoings? Actually, I can't imagine him asking for forgiveness, but if jail is the alternative?

Pence would probably pull a Gerald Ford, but I don't think he'll ever be prez since the GOP won't impeach Trump. The question is more interesting if a Democratic president has to make the decision.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »

Who would want to pardon him?  Not any Democrat. Unless you say he gets impeached and Pence then pardons him.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »

If a subsequent president pardons Trump for crimes committed before he was president, especially those crimes he committed which likely *made* him president, then we may as well close up shop on democratic America.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »

Pence will pardon Trump. The only justification for pardoning Donald Trump would be either for national security (whatever that concern might be) or for saving the political process.

The best thing that could happen is for the Trump clique to leave, preferably for a dictatorial society like Russia or China. Iran is probably out of the question.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »

Pence will pardon Trump. The only justification for pardoning Donald Trump would be either for national security (whatever that concern might be) or for saving the political process.

The best thing that could happen is for the Trump clique to leave, preferably for a dictatorial society like Russia or China. Iran is probably out of the question.

Pence can't pardon Trump, since Trump will be impeached, but not removed. If he does do that, the ramifications will be bad for the GOP. They would be staring down a filibuster proof Democratic Senate in 2023.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

These are different times since 1974.  The political fallout from a pardon of Trump would be much greater than there was for the pardon of Nixon.  We were a different Nation then; less partisan, and less captive to the barrage of media and information. 

I have always believed that Ford pardoned Nixon to avoid a massive trial of Nixon and massive Congressional investigations of Watergate without end.  Ford rightly reckoned that the Democrats were going to make Nixon's trial (if it came to that) the biggest thing since Nuremberg, and THAT would hurt the party, long-term, worse than a pardon.

The Democrats are, right now, on course to a trifecta in 2020.  A lot can happen, but I think the most likely outcome in 2020 as of this moment is that the Democrats control both houses of Congress by small margins and a Democrat is President.  While I never doubt the Democrats' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, there is a limit of negative publicity that any party and any candidate can withstand, and Trump, the President, reflects on his party in Congress.

I will say this:  What the Democrats should do in 2021, if they get this lucky, is NOT to pardon Trump, but NOT to bring new investigations.  Let the Justice Department and regular Law Enforcement agencies investigate all of it.  The Democrats should use such political positioning to pass their agenda before the GOP knows what hit them.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »

These are different times since 1974.  The political fallout from a pardon of Trump would be much greater than there was for the pardon of Nixon.  We were a different Nation then; less partisan, and less captive to the barrage of media and information. 

I have always believed that Ford pardoned Nixon to avoid a massive trial of Nixon and massive Congressional investigations of Watergate without end.  Ford rightly reckoned that the Democrats were going to make Nixon's trial (if it came to that) the biggest thing since Nuremberg, and THAT would hurt the party, long-term, worse than a pardon.

The Democrats are, right now, on course to a trifecta in 2020.  A lot can happen, but I think the most likely outcome in 2020 as of this moment is that the Democrats control both houses of Congress by small margins and a Democrat is President.  While I never doubt the Democrats' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, there is a limit of negative publicity that any party and any candidate can withstand, and Trump, the President, reflects on his party in Congress.

I will say this:  What the Democrats should do in 2021, if they get this lucky, is NOT to pardon Trump, but NOT to bring new investigations.  Let the Justice Department and regular Law Enforcement agencies investigate all of it.  The Democrats should use such political positioning to pass their agenda before the GOP knows what hit them.

I agree with this take.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »

Couldn't agree more, especially the last part.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

I agree with all of this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »

There was a school of thought when Nixon resigned that a former president should not go to jail.  Even some staunch Democrats (my grandmother) felt that way.  There was also a sense that Nixon, who almost died two months after his resignation, and one month after the pardon, had been through enough.

I was never part of that group.

That said, possibly, after a trial, where a president would be convicted, there may be sympathy for a pardon.

It would also depend on the circumstances.  For example, Obama had an American citizen in 2015, Adam Yahiye Gadahn, aka Adam Pearlman.  He was in Pakistan, where he could not be reached by law enforcement, and was actively serving with Al-Qaeda.  Technically, I'm sure that some charge, possibly murder, could be brought against Obama.  I doubt if any prosecutor you stupid enough to charge him.  I would have no doubt that there would be overwhelming support for a pardon, almost immediately upon the charges being filed.   
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »

Pence, should he become President, no matter how unlikely, would definitely pardon him to curry favor with his cult. Pence wouldn't be guaranteed to inherit them, and he would see it as a win-win. Which means that he would probably become the new Gerald Ford, but exponentially worse!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »

Not to mention, as an aside, that Trump is literally 10 * the Crooked bastard that even Nixon was.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »

Pence, should he become President, no matter how unlikely, would definitely pardon him to curry favor with his cult. Pence wouldn't be guaranteed to inherit them, and he would see it as a win-win. Which means that he would probably become the new Gerald Ford, but exponentially worse!

I question that. If Trump ever became so insanely toxic that even this incredibly rigid dogmatic stick together come hell or high water or treason Republican Party contributed enough support to successfully impeach him, Trump is literally in the twenties approval at best. Not to mention I think even Pence smart enough to know that the only reason Jerry Ford was beat in 76 is because he pardoned Nixon, and he wouldn't want to repeat the mistake.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »

I can see this scenario happening:

Nov. 3, 2020: Trump loses.
Nov. 4-~9: Trump rants about vote fraud that he admits he can't prove, blames his defeat on media bias and "fake news" and eventually concedes.
Nov.-Jan. 17, 2021: Trump grumbles all the way through the rest of his term. Resigns on Jan. 17 and President Mike Pence is sworn in.
Jan. 18, 2021: President Pence pardons Trump.
Jan. 20, 2021: Democratic candidate is sworn in as 46th President.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »

I can see this scenario happening:

Nov. 3, 2020: Trump loses.
Nov. 4-~9: Trump rants about vote fraud that he admits he can't prove, blames his defeat on media bias and "fake news" and eventually concedes.
Nov.-Jan. 17, 2021: Trump grumbles all the way through the rest of his term. Resigns on Jan. 17 and President Mike Pence is sworn in.
Jan. 18, 2021: President Pence pardons Trump.
Jan. 20, 2021: Democratic candidate is sworn in as 46th President.

47th.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 02:00:50 AM »

I question that. If Trump ever became so insanely toxic that even this incredibly rigid dogmatic stick together come hell or high water or treason Republican Party contributed enough support to successfully impeach him, Trump is literally in the twenties approval at best. Not to mention I think even Pence smart enough to know that the only reason Jerry Ford was beat in 76 is because he pardoned Nixon, and he wouldn't want to repeat the mistake.

The so-called deplorables are central to win a GOP primary. Pence would pardon Trump to win their support and because "Trump imprisonment" would cause massive division. Or Pence may decide that it doesn't matter anyway because he realizes his reelection chances are very slim regardless.

I'm not sure Ford lost because of the pardon, but that's another subject. Compared to Pence, he was a far more decent and competent person.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »

The so-called deplorables are central to win a GOP primary. Pence would pardon Trump to win their support and because "Trump imprisonment" would cause massive division. Or Pence may decide that it doesn't matter anyway because he realizes his reelection chances are very slim regardless.

I'm not sure Ford lost because of the pardon, but that's another subject. Compared to Pence, he was a far more decent and competent person.

You are somewhat correct, so let me clarify.

If such a primary were held this year, youdmbe absolutely right. However, if Trump actually drops in popularity SO much that Republicans drop him enough to pass impeachment, even the GOP rank and file would by that point be generally more ready to Trump behind them (even if with some lingering sympathy rather than the cult like status Trump currently holds). There would surely still be rabid cultists, but by the point Trump is impeachable they would have to be a minority in the party. Mind you, this isn't an underestimation of just how slavishly most Republicans currently back Trump and his idiocy, but sadly just how much things would have to change in order for Trump to lose enough party support to permit impeachment.

Secondly, you are right that pardoning Nixon wasn't the only thing that cost Ford re-election. However, it was the largest reason, and but for it he surely would have won in 76.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies