Dutch man being prosecuted for insulting Erdogan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:57:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Dutch man being prosecuted for insulting Erdogan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dutch man being prosecuted for insulting Erdogan  (Read 1066 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »

Like instances of libel or harrassment;
and the US does a better job on those than do the European countries.  The truth should always be able to be said, no matter how much damage it does to a person or group.  Yet you have "a right to be forgotten", which is funking stupid.
my point was more - if I start sending death threats at people on twitter, does that count under the auspices of "free speech", and if not, why not?
And I am not sure why EU data protection rules would have to do with free speech?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
you have no right to free speech in my front yard nor in my webspace.  It doesn't matter how popular my front yard or webpage becomes. (if I was the only person with a front yard or webpage, sure, then something should be done, but that's not and never will be the case)  Not letting you speak on/in my property is not limiting your free speech.
[/quote]
But if denying access to your property does actually deny them access to an audience, then in practice it does.

I don't actually know what I feel about this, but you have to admit there is some degree of ambiguity.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

my point was more - if I start sending death threats at people on twitter, does that count under the auspices of "free speech", and if not, why not?
I never said there were no limits to speech.  Screaming at my house from the side walk that you want to murder my children non-stop will eventually get your speech limited.  By me or the cops, depending on how well I asses my ability to handle you.  There are limits to speech here in the US, and I generally agree with those limits.

I should be able to say a truth even if it might make some Spanish dentist look bad.  It shouldn't matter if it happened 10 years ago.  The only reason "the truth" should be suppressed (that I can think of right now) are for national security reasons and, theoretically, certain court cases (but I'm not sure about that one, I had something, but I think I've forgotten it now).  If I can't say a truth because it might embarrass some jerk who did an embarrassing thing a long time ago, as is the case in the EU right now, that is limiting my speech.
you don't have a right to an audience I earned.  Why would you?
indeed.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »

People should be accountable for their words and this is why you can get sued for libel/defamation. But prosecuting under any "insult" law simply goes against the very ideas of free speech. More: definitions can be so vague it's actually a direct threat for them. Also, decisions whether to prosecute or not are too arbitrary (and politically determined) to talk about any fairness.

I mean, under those rules ("insulting leader of a friendly state") millions of Europeans should be prosecuted for insulting Trump on a daily basis, including yours truly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies