TBBT's last season announced
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:50:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  TBBT's last season announced
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What season did TBBT start becoming boring?
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
not yet
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: TBBT's last season announced  (Read 1248 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »

As all you may probably heard, the US series The Big Bang Theory will air its final episode in 2019, ending one of the longest-running sitcoms in US history.
The program's 12th and final season will premiere on 24 September and is expected to conclude in May.
The series has won seven Emmys from 46 nominations, including four Outstanding Lead Actor wins for Jim Parsons.
To be honest, the series past its best. The dialogs have been repetitive, the punchlines are foreseeable, the actors just can't seem to be convincing anymore. It's good to stop right at time before ending as a ratings bomb.

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »

Never watched it, but it took 'em long enough. Makes sense, though-- Two and a Half Men went off the air after 12 seasons too.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:13:45 PM »

I've watched it regularly (though not religiously) since the beginning.  I've slowly come to realize how horrible most of the characters are.  Especially Raj and Howard.  All the main characters have problems.  Amy, Penny and Leanord are the "best" of the bunch, but they're just codependents, helping the others to survive life being pieces of sh**t.

Granted, it's fairly normal for characters in TV shows, even comedies, to be complete pieces of sh**t.  Some are worse even (IASIP, Shameless, many cartoons), but they are supposed to be pieces of sh**t, they are sold to us as pieces of sh**t...we're supposed to like Howard....why?  Why would we?  Because he lived with his mother and treated women like objects until a tiny vixen, who is lol/herp derp, just like his always off screen mother, finally sweeps him off his feet for reasons that make no sense.  Who he then continues being a jerk too.  Don't get me started on Raj. <we didn't want to get you started in the first place jerk!>

All that said, I still watch the show.  Some of the jokes are funny, Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch and Mayim Bialik are hot, I like Johnny Galecki (did they only hire cast members with names that are impossible to spell?) and I've invested too much.....but mostly I still watch because the wife does and it's better than America's Got Talent.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »

I was a loyal watcher, but when they made the announcement that they were locking in the final 3 seasons I asked, "Really? They think they have 3 more seasons of material for this show?" I've seen a little bit of the most recent seasons here and there and have enjoyed it, but it is far from appointment television for me.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2018, 04:38:08 PM by Ἅιδης »

Here are some bonus questions about the very last episode:

1.) What will be the last scene that brings the whole series to a conclusion?

2.) Will we eventually get to know Penny's maiden name? (We had to wait till the last episode of The Nanny to learn C.C. Babcock's complete given name.)

3.) Will Raj be married by then?

3.a) Will Raj and Howard become a couple? The are so many innuendoes about a possible relationship between them spread throughout the episodes that I don't know if that's just a running gag or a hint.

4.) Will the elevator be repaired in the end?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »

I think this will certainly happen.  The other three of the original quartet are all married now.  Raj would finish the set.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

I think this will certainly happen.  The other three of the original quartet are all married now.  Raj would finish the set.

I still can't rule out that Raj will be married to Howard. There have been made so many homosexual references regarding them throughout the whole series, that the viewers' expectations ought to be fulfilled some day.
Didn't the scriptwriters introduce a new Indian woman in the latest season, who tries to "steal" Bernadette's job by acting slyly? I consider it possible that Bernadette becomes an alcoholic after becoming unemployed and blames Howard for her failure.
Mark my words...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »

That's still on? I thought that ended last year for some reason. To answer the question, it was probably one season after they introduced the girlfriends. From that point on, there was really nothing to distinguish it from any other sitcom.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:31 AM »

The final two episodes, "The Change Constant / The Stockholm Syndrome", will be aired tomorrow back to back from 8:00 to 9:00 pm on CBS.  Cry
They were shot two weeks ago. Afterwards, the cast of The Big Bang Theory became the first TV actors ever to be accorded the honor of immortalizing in cement outside Hollywood's TCL Chinese Theater in the tradition’s 92-year history solely for achievements in television.

Last week, Johnny Galecki shared an emotional video on Instagram of the show's sets being torn down as The Beatles' hit "Help!" played in the background.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »

Is a anybody going to watch the last two episodes tomorrow?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »

Is a anybody going to watch the last two episodes tomorrow?

Yes.  It's not as funny as it used to be, but I've gone this far with it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:10 PM »

I have a legit question - why do people think this show is at all funny? Like, they legitimately don’t even try with the humor.

There are videos on YouTube where you can watch TBBT without the laugh track, and it’s just the dumbest sh**t ever. Sheldon or some other character will say something completely innocuous, then there’ll be an awkward pause for the laugh track. Then another character will say something else that maybe sounds vaguely “nerdy”. Then laugh track again. Rinse and repeat. Nothing in there is actually witty or funny.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:41 AM »

I have a legit question - why do people think this show is at all funny? Like, they legitimately don’t even try with the humor.

There are videos on YouTube where you can watch TBBT without the laugh track, and it’s just the dumbest sh**t ever. Sheldon or some other character will say something completely innocuous, then there’ll be an awkward pause for the laugh track. Then another character will say something else that maybe sounds vaguely “nerdy”. Then laugh track again. Rinse and repeat. Nothing in there is actually witty or funny.

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 03:41:02 PM »

At what ATLAS time will they be aired? (My ATLAS clock says 15:40:15 right now.)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:00:50 PM »

OK, that was a good finale.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

Sadly, the last episode won't be aired on German TV before September. 😕
But at least I now know it's worth waiting for.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »

Even if it was a good show at the beginning, (it wasn't), a sitcom can't run for 12 seasons and remain good. Sitcoms go stale fast.

Sitcoms need to either last only about four seasons or be British style and have only like six episodes per season.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:00 AM »

This show is actually popular outside the US?

I was under the impression that due to its reliance on pop culture references and tropes found almost exclusively in American sitcoms it wouldn't translate well. Linguistically or culturally.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 08:28:25 AM »

I was under the impression that due to its reliance on pop culture references and tropes found almost exclusively in American sitcoms it wouldn't translate well. Linguistically or culturally.
Most of the cultural references on Big Bang Theory are to Star Wars, Star Trek, and Marvel/The Avengers or DC Superheroes, which are also popular outside the U.S.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 01:38:57 AM »

Oh, the pop cultures of the USA and Western Europe are very similar. The only thing we don't have the slightest clue about is baseball (while you probably have never heard of handball).
Apropos of translations, unlike the Scandinavians, who watch foreign-language movies in their original language, Germany has the biggest and best dubbing industry worldwide.
Sometimes, however, the translators are faced with enormous challenges; at times they meet the challenges, sometimes they plainly fail, like in this case:

Moonshining jokes don't work either in German either, or Cartman's Asperger's pun.
In Inglourious Basterds, several entire plots had to be rewritten or even utterly excised because it was impossible to translate German into German.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »

Even if it was a good show at the beginning, (it wasn't), a sitcom can't run for 12 seasons and remain good. Sitcoms go stale fast.

Sitcoms need to either last only about four seasons or be British style and have only like six episodes per season.

To me, TBBT wasn't even a sitcom at the end anymore. It was in the end a (basically good) soap opera (with canned laughter) that I watched only to find out if the things I expected to happen really happened.
Two things were indeed fulfilled: The elevator finally function properly, Penny got pregnant, and first and foremost, Sheldon eventually received his Nobel Prize in Physics.
Two expectations that weren't fulfilled were the revelation of Penny's maiden surname, plus Koothrappali didn't build a gay relationship, something which had been clearly presaged from the outset.

By the way, how was that series reviewed by them SJW? TBBT was one of the whites and straightest shows ever. The only (non-prominent) black people that come into my mind are the university's HR manager, the nurse, the laundry worker and the crossdresser, who was Penny's previous tenant. They was only one Asian person (despite its setting in California) - Sheldon's boyhood friend Tam, who didn't appear before the very last season. No gay person (besides maybe the crossdresser). That's very unusal for today's SJW standards. 🤷‍♂️
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »

This was a truly great sitcom.

However...Cheers was on 11 yrs. Frasier 11 yrs. MASH was on 11 yrs. Friends was on 10 yrs. Seinfeld was on 9 yrs.

12 years was kind of pushing it, for both Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men.

Sometimes it can go too long.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »

Every episode I’ve found myself watching was so unbelievably cringe and awful, so ... right away?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 10:12:08 PM »

When they announced 3 more seasons in Spring of 2014, I asked why that was really necessary. They had told every story they could. So I stopped watching in Fall of 2014. I am curious to see how things ended, but I don't feel like I really could have missed that much.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 10:44:36 PM »

This was a truly great sitcom.

However...Cheers was on 11 yrs. Frasier 11 yrs. MASH was on 11 yrs. Friends was on 10 yrs. Seinfeld was on 9 yrs.

12 years was kind of pushing it, for both Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men.

Sometimes it can go too long.

Sheldon Cooper Jim Parsons did the right thing by leaving and therefore ending the series at its zenith (which has actually already been passed). Many of his hardcore fans responded and still respond with incomprehension and then with anger, but it's definitely a good thing that he doesn't want his lifework to end as undignifiedly as "Married With Children", "ALF", or "Two And A Half Men".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies