Re-elect Senator Sestak
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:38:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re-elect Senator Sestak
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Re-elect Senator Sestak  (Read 2070 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2018, 12:49:37 AM »
« edited: December 08, 2018, 07:49:26 PM by Sestak »

Over the last few years, Fremont has slowly been subordinated to the whims of the federal government and has had to bear the brunt of their oppressive agenda. Having one Senator who's completely missing in action hasn't helped, either.

Write in Sestak to free Fremont from the oppressive federal government so we can turn our region into a liberal paradise!
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 12:50:24 AM »

Endorsed
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:17:03 AM »

Write in Sestak to free Fremont from the oppressive federal government so we can turn our region into a liberal paradise!

It is not already?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »

Thank you all!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 02:32:38 PM »

Congrats on winning!
Fmr. Speaker anna0kear
anna0kear
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 04:50:19 PM »

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »

Congratulations on your well-deserved victory!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »

It is not already?
You know what they say about Utopia: you can always do More.

(I'll show myself out.)
Mr. Bullocks
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:18:49 AM »

Congratulations
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:48 AM »

Congrats!

It is not already?
You know what they say about Utopia: you can always do More.

(I'll show myself out.)

teeheehee

Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »

Congratulations!
Fmr. Speaker anna0kear
anna0kear
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 10:48:09 AM »

And to you, good campaign!
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

Congratulations on your well-deserved victory!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »

Bump.

Not able to write a speech or anything now due to travel, but if you want to endorse go ahead.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »

Edorzed 4 Prison.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

Endorsed!
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 01:01:46 AM »

-What is your proudest achievement this session of Congress?
-Why do you choose to ignore questions asked to you on discord in the public chat? Do you believe citizens in Fremont can trust you to be transparent if you are going to be evasive in the wake of questions and criticisms?
-Do you believe offering jimmy a leadership post for him to join the party was appropriate and ethical? Do you consider this a bribe? Do you believe your actions were any different than what Pericles did with trying to exchange election endorsements for votes on his college bill?

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »

-What is your proudest achievement this session of Congress?
The RTW repeal bill. (While I technically introduced it at the end of last session, it's mostly been a hot item this session). Firstly, it is policy that I believe in, but more importantly, it's been debated to a level that only four or five other bills have since I first entered Congress (many of which were on the floor much longer). It's also spawned regional debate in at least one region, and, should it pass, I believe it will lead to similar debate in each region by delegating the question of right to work (a hotly contested issue IRL) to the regions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's rarely my intent to not answer questions like that; the only time I choose to do so is if I am being asked the same question I've already answered repeatedly or if it's a blatant strawman.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, first of all, by the time Jimmy joined or was considering joining, he was already virtually guaranteed to have a leadership role, whether official or unofficial - several of my advisors had already vouched for his organizational skills, which, combined with his activity level, made him a no-brainer for party leadership; what I was discussing with Jimmy at the time he joined was what official title he would hold. It's not like I went up to Jimmy and told him "hey, I'll give you a leadership position if you join Labor." As I didn't appoint leadership prior to the October elections, seeing his organizational skills firsthand during the presidential election led me to ultimately back him for the Vice Chair position in the subsequent leadership election.

I am glad, however, that you brought up the Pericles-LT incident, as it gives me an opportunity to clarify what I think was the issue there and what wasn't.

First of all, in 2010, Barack Obama endorsed and supported Arlen Specter because Specter provided the 60th vote for Obamacare. Yes, Specter changed parties as well, but ultimately, if he had changed parties and then voted to kill Obamacare, Obama would not have backed him. I don't see how ethically, the Pericles-LT incident is any different. In fact, it rather makes sense to me. As a citizen, I base my endorsements on policy, and support candidates who will vote for policies that I support. Pericles, similarly, would have been backing a candidate who voted for policies he supports.

The bigger issue with the Pericles incident was the bill itself. Many, including myself, believed the college bill at the time was a poorly written, half-baked bill that was not ready to become law and that its Senate passage passed several problems off to the House. Yet instead of fixing the bill (as Never and I later did in the House) he chose to trade away political capital in order to push it through. That, not the ethics of the situation, is what the issue with that controversy was.

For example, if Donald Trump wrote up a bill that everyone agreed was badly written, convinced all Senate Republicans minus four to vote for it, and then agreed to endorse Doug Jones in 2020 in exchange for him voting for it, then both sides would be getting criticism here - Jones for violating his principles and voting for it to save his reelection effort, and Trump for being willing to trade a large amount of political capital (in this case, an almost guaranteed Senate flip) in order to force through objectively badly put together policy.

So no, I don't think anything wrong happened between me and Jimmy, so it's not exactly comparable to Perivillegate, but I also think the level of "let's be outraged" at the time (which I admit I myself was a part of) has sort of obscured what the issue in Perivillegate actually was.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »

Oh, and thanks for asking questions!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »

Any other questions?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

There have been concerns raised by several folks on both sides of the aisle about your activity level in this recent session of Congress, as well as your open statements on discord about how focusing on Atlasia takes away from RL things you have going on. Why run for re-election if you don't have time to carry out your duties? And if there is a change, how can voters trust you will improve your performance going into the 16th Congress?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »

Interesting according to Jimmy the day before he talked about the leadership position he didn’t have any interest in joining Labor. Don’t you think it’s the least bit coincidental that he joins only after hearing about a leadership offer?

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »

This is a pretty poor imitation of Not_Madigan tbh.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »

This is a pretty poor imitation of Not_Madigan tbh.
Their is a lot of questions that need to be answered. I know ethics aren't really a concern for you but I hope most of Fremont cares enough to hear ethical concerns out about a candidate for office.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 12:45:33 AM »

There have been concerns raised by several folks on both sides of the aisle about your activity level in this recent session of Congress, as well as your open statements on discord about how focusing on Atlasia takes away from RL things you have going on. Why run for re-election if you don't have time to carry out your duties? And if there is a change, how can voters trust you will improve your performance going into the 16th Congress?

I'm pretty sure Sestak will be more active than someone who was literally recalled for inactivity(Koopa).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies