Supreme Court Bracket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:35:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Supreme Court Bracket
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Bracket  (Read 1068 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »

Obviously, as Randall points out in the title text, his bracket is busted since he had Massachusetts v. Connecticut in the final, but I got to wondering, can we complete the bracket using actual cases to determine the victor?

Sweet Sixteen
Madison v. McCulloch - no such case.  The closest I can find is a set of Iowa Supreme Court cases from the 1960's dealing with redistricting in the wake of the one man-one vote ruling. Kruidenier v. McCulloch have et al.'s for both parties, but no Madison is amongst Kruidenier et al. nor is there a clear victor.

Gibbons v. Near - no such case, but I did find a California Surpreme Court case from 1928, People v. Gibbons.  Presumably there was at least one person named Near living in California, so I'll use this case, which Gibbons won.

NLRB v. Brown, 380 U.S. 278 (1965) - Brown won

Gideon v. Griswold - no such case, and I didn't find anything even close to it.

I'm going to stop here for now.  There's only one clear case out of the four I've looked for so far.  It would be interesting to construct actual bracket that could be completely decided by Supreme Court case results, but this bracket ain't it.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »

What the heck is all of this TF?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »

You're not familiar with the xkcd webcomic?  It's been mentioned often enuf on the forum, I didn't think to include an obvious link, but I did include a link to the source in my original post if you click the image.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies