New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:15:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: New Hampshire Megathread: Sherman in  (Read 31738 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »

https://www.unionleader.com/news/politics/state/sununu-inner-circle-received-thousands-from-lobbyist-funded-nonprofit/article_580c5a32-3b3d-58b2-ace3-566655c49f8d.html

Surprise. Sununu is a swamp creature.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »

Really? Not the guy whose dad was White House Chief of Staff and Governor, and whose brother was a Senator!
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2018, 12:26:15 AM »

The man who is utterly unable to hold a policy position for more than 6 months is a swamp creature? Color me shocked.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »

ARCHIVEPOST, WILL BE CREATING NEW POST FOR CHIEF JUSTICE NEWS

Today, we have our Secretary of State election on December 5th.

The dust has settled. Democrats have won both chambers of the State House, though Chris Sununu still controls the governor's mansion. This only leaves one race of the 2018 cycle, the Secretary of State's race. Previously noncontroversial, bipartisan incumbent Bill Gardner has been a largely uncontroversial figure, despite being a Democrat. Even the most ardent Republican hacks re-elected him in 2010, and he has been a political institution for the state.

Then he served on Trump's voter fraud position. In addition to that, he endorsed Republican voter suppression measures, giving a bipartisan veneer to Bill O'Brien's goal to stop college students from voting. Democrats are calling for his head, and have floated a fallen rising star in former executive councilor and failed gubernatorial candidate Colin Van Ostern. His method of campaigning has involved creating a PAC and promising to fund legislators' campaigns in exchange for their support in the upcoming election. This turned off a few people in the party - mainly the anti-money in politics crowd. One of their own ran in Peter Sullivan, but this flamed out.

Quick candidate profiles:

Republicans:

Bill Gardner (de facto) - 42-year incumbent. Technically a Democrat. Decided to shill for Trump and GOP voting policies, and is now facing an internal revolt. Has the support of every Republican, so I'm putting him under here. Was previously an institution for protecting the FITN primary.

Democrats:

Colin van Ostern - Former Executive Councilor/gubernatorial nom. Promises to modernize our elections. Some in the party are turned off by his big-money campaigning.

Peter Sullivan - Former Manchester alderman and state rep. Also a Twitter friend. Generally campaigned on being Gardner without the voter suppression. Got seven votes in the prelim and dropped out.

RATING: Most of the scuttlebutt seems to say Van Ostern is favored, but if you want me to be honest, I think it's a pure toss-up. Sullivan's supporters seem to oppose CVO more, and while he hasn't endorsed, he's certainly angry at the NHDP for what he perceives to be a coronation. Assuming Sullivan's supporters break for Gardner and the ratio holds for the absentees, Dems would just barely be over the majority. This could really go either way.

ARCHIVES:

2018:
Governor ratings
Senate ratings
Executive Council ratings
Secretary of State's Rating
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2019, 09:07:02 PM »

Former Congressional candidate/Carol Shea-Porter staffer Naomi Andrews is running for State Representative in the Rockingham-9 special. This seat opened up when representative Sean Morrison (R-Epping) got sick of dealing with the BS of politics. While the district is R+4, a Democrat (Mark Vallone) did get the most votes. Two Republicans are running: Michael Vose and Cody Belanger.

Michael Vose is a former state rep who got beaten by the current representative in NH. Sununu selected him for a seat on the Site Evaluation Committee, which helps regulate energy facilities and gas pipelines. He was voted down by the then-Republican-controlled Executive Council, and has since sought to get back to the State House. Vose is very pro-Northern Pass and for Granite Bridge, a natural gas pipeline.

Cody Belanger is a selectman who happens to be a part of the Online Right brigade you see in the NHGOP nowadays. He has a bit of clout in the NHGOP and has apparently been part of the Young Republicans.

----

Naomi Andrews most likely has the field to herself. As I've said before, her qualifications speak for themselves. I found her to be the best-performing candidate in the field. If she had gotten in earlier, I believe she had a legitimate chance to win (especially if she consolidated the support of women's identity groups). Unfortunately, she didn't, and she got 4th place.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »

Andru Volinsky is exploring a run. He's been rumored to be in for a while, looking for hires and whatnot. This is the gerrymandered seat in District 2, but it's trended harder to Trump than CD-1, so there is an opening. My gut tells me this will be Lean D because of the Trump trend.

One name I've heard is Jay Surdukowski, another Concord lawyer, but it's iffy he'd get support, considering he's currently one of the Democrats backing Sununu's nominee for Chief Justice. There's always Colin van Ostern too if the establishment wants to resurrect his career, or one of the many other Keene/Durham/Dover/Concord/other town officials that this district stretches across.

Either way, still a Lean R race.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »

The Executive Council just voted down Gordon MacDonald’s nomination, 3-2 along party lines
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2019, 12:18:26 PM by sawx »

Chris Sununu has nominated Gordon MacDonald, his Attorney General, to serve as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. This has quite a bit of controversy, considering he has no judicial experience besides a clerking position. He's also served as a Republican political operative, serving as Gordon Humphrey's chief of staff and legislative director, as well as Sununu's Attorney General.

As such, his nomination is in question due to the Democratic-controlled Executive Council. Mike Cryans has already decided not to vote for him. Some believe that Sununu is seeking to put a partisan operative on the courts, while others are concerned about his abortion stances. Pignatelli seems more concerned about the latter. Overall, it's certainly interesting enough to warrant its own inclusion here, as it'd likely require Sununu's likely opponent next year to get him past.

---

The Executive Council just voted down Gordon MacDonald’s nomination, 3-2 along party lines

Sununu's not happy and has withdrawn all nominations (presumably until MacDonald is confirmed). He's also vetoed a massive amount of bills.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2019, 11:31:44 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2019, 11:36:36 PM by smoltchanov »

Sununu's not happy and has withdrawn all nominations (presumably until MacDonald is confirmed). He's also vetoed a massive amount of bills.

Well, exactly what I would do if MY nominations were treated this way.... IIRC - Democrats don't have veto-proof majority in Legislature, and, generally, unlike previous years, voting in legislature was extremely polarized (presumably - because Democrats pushed strongly liberal platform hard)....
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2019, 11:45:37 PM »

Well, exactly what I would do if MY nominations were treated this way.... IIRC - Democrats don't have veto-proof majority in Legislature, and, generally, unlike previous years, voting in legislature was extremely polarized (presumably - because Democrats pushed strongly liberal platform hard)....

It's just par for the course in the game Sununu likes to play. He's the guy who made one of, if not his first major action in office to restrict the ability of his political opponents to vote - namely students, who are notably left-leaning. So let us break out the world's smallest violin for his judicial woes.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »

It's just par for the course in the game Sununu likes to play. He's the guy who made one of, if not his first major action in office to restrict the ability of his political opponents to vote - namely students, who are notably left-leaning. So let us break out the world's smallest violin for his judicial woes.

Well, "if you attack me i will do the same to you" is a first rule of politics... In fact - not only a politics, but life as a whole..
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2019, 12:45:26 AM »

The Legislature doesn't handle nominations. The Executive Council does. They are the ones who have "veto power" over nominees and chose to exercise it.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:12 AM »

The Legislature doesn't handle nominations. The Executive Council does. They are the ones who have "veto power" over nominees and chose to exercise it.

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. In such case i would do everything possible and impossible to defeat corresponding EC members...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »

Well, "if you attack me i will do the same to you" is a first rule of politics... In fact - not only a politics, but life as a whole..

Don't propagate.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »

Don't propagate.

I live long enough to state that as one of the basic axioms of life. Too many real-life examples...
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »

Bumping to let everyone know Feltes is in
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »

Executive Council candidate, former state rep, and former congressional candidate Mindi Messmer endorses Feltes.

This is a huge get for Feltes. Messmer is very popular within the grassroots and has (in effect) become the standard-bearer for the Bernie wing of the party in the southern part of the state.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2019, 01:59:37 AM by Grand Mufti of Leftist Messposting »

https://twitter.com/jdistaso/status/1171211313395228674?s=19

Attorney Cinde Warmington is likely to be in if Volinsky gives up his EC seat.

I'll be donating to her campaign. Jay Surdukowski (her likely opponent) was the leading Democrat to speak out for Sununu's Chief Justice nominee (who I believe to be a partisan figure) and that's a massive disqualifier for obvious reasons. If I were in ECD-2, I probably wouldn't support him under any circumstances since this district is a Democratic sink. If I wanted a rubber stamp for Sununu's nominees, I would vote for a Republican.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

Executive Council candidate, former state rep, and former congressional candidate Mindi Messmer endorses Feltes.

This is a huge get for Feltes. Messmer is very popular within the grassroots and has (in effect) become the standard-bearer for the Bernie wing of the party in the southern part of the state.

Yes I suspect Feltes will have a fairly easy time winning the nomination. Volinsky is a strong candidate but there always seems to be this excitement around Feltes in the NH Democratic base that has never quite made sense to me, but is hard to deny.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »

Former Congressional candidate/Carol Shea-Porter staffer Naomi Andrews is running for State Representative in the Rockingham-9 special. This seat opened up when representative Sean Morrison (R-Epping) got sick of dealing with the BS of politics. While the district is R+4, a Democrat (Mark Vallone) did get the most votes. Two Republicans are running: Michael Vose and Cody Belanger.

Michael Vose is a former state rep who got beaten by the current representative in NH. Sununu selected him for a seat on the Site Evaluation Committee, which helps regulate energy facilities and gas pipelines. He was voted down by the then-Republican-controlled Executive Council, and has since sought to get back to the State House. Vose is very pro-Northern Pass and for Granite Bridge, a natural gas pipeline.

Cody Belanger is a selectman who happens to be a part of the Online Right brigade you see in the NHGOP nowadays. He has a bit of clout in the NHGOP and has apparently been part of the Young Republicans.

----

Naomi Andrews most likely has the field to herself. As I've said before, her qualifications speak for themselves. I found her to be the best-performing candidate in the field. If she had gotten in earlier, I believe she had a legitimate chance to win (especially if she consolidated the support of women's identity groups). Unfortunately, she didn't, and she got 4th place.

Vose wound up winning the primary and beating Andrews, 52-48. Unfortunate.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2019, 07:57:13 PM »

----

Vose wound up winning the primary and beating Andrews, 52-48. Unfortunate.

880 votes for Vose,  806 votes for Andrews.    Winning by 74 votes total isn't much of a mandate or anything, but I guess a win is a win.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2019, 10:30:50 PM by gay gay gay bathhouses »

Quick E-Day rundown:

* Democrats picked up Laconia-Mayor, with former state senator Andrew Hosmer winning as an upset.

* Victoria Sullivan got routed in her bid for Manchester-Mayor, losing her own home ward. It's pretty much over.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2019, 10:38:40 PM »

Oh yeah - Volinsky is also in for NH-Gov. It's not likely he'll win, considering part of the progressive grassroots in the state seems to be coalescing around Feltes. Overall, this really seems like a late announcement - especially one that will shift the balance of the Executive Council to the right.

Surdukowski has announced his run for Volinksy's open seat, and so has UNH professor/lawyer Leah Plunkett. To say the very least, Plunkett has my full endorsement.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 08:23:00 PM by punching violence in the face »

My Executive Councilor, Russell Prescott (R-Kingston), is retiring. He won by a little less than 1% in his last race against former Exeter selectman Joe Pace.

Former state rep/former congressional candidate Mindi Messmer is the Democrats' candidate, while businessman/former congressional candidate Bruce Crochetiere is weighing a run. Crochetiere is a fake moderate - claims to be personally "pro-choice" but is anti-Planned Parenthood and buys all the other right-wing talking points about government-funded abortions.

I'd actually put this at Toss-up. I can personally attest that Messmer is a great politician with very competent staff.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »

Prescott is retiring. His seat is rapidly trending away from Republicans.

It's the Portsmouth/Salem seat.   It's definitely going to be competitive.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies