Pope Francis covered up McCarrick abuse, former US nuncio testifies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:57:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis covered up McCarrick abuse, former US nuncio testifies
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis covered up McCarrick abuse, former US nuncio testifies  (Read 2024 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:05:22 PM »

The Catholic church should lose its tax exempt status and all the taxes collected should go to the survivors of abuse
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:53:09 PM »

It should be pointed out that his accuser is the far right clown who tried to orchestrated the "Pope Francis supports Kim Davis" hoax.

But yeah, as much as I love the guy, he obviously has to resign (and I will stop loving him) if this is true.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 02:11:18 AM »

Francis and Viganò have a bit of a rough past, so this could be part of a personal vendetta.  I hope that turns out to be the case.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »

Pope Francis refuses to answer if he was aware of any of the allegations.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »

Viganò is a narcissistic right-wing nut with an agenda who rambles on about muh homosexual lobby. Not exactly your model whistleblower. Roll Eyes
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »

Not sure if I am willing to believe Vigano who seems like a nut job over the Pope who has done the most compared to his predecessors of taking out the trash within the church. I get that many want more to be done by Pope Francis to rid the church of these scumbags, and that is fair. But to me its much more likely that Vigano is making this up to try to discredit Francis and those loyal to him than Francis being a part of the coverup since he has become the Pope. I guess we will see where the investigation takes us.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily take Vigano's letter to be the Gospel truth either, as it's way to easy to rationalize it as a personal vendetta, plus one might ask where his testimony was prior to hearing about McCarrick. I'd be fascinated to hear what unrevealed abuse allegations Vigano "knows".

That being said, the Pope's non-answer is deeply concerning. There really should be large protests within the Church until he gives a straight answer. And if he did know, he needs to resign. The Church has to have zero-tolerance towards bishops raping seminarians and that zero-tolerance starts at the top.

There is also this from Edward Pentin at the National Catholic Register, who is someone I'd be inclined to trust:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pope Francis needs to address that in some way for his implied denials to be seen as credible.
Aboa
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 04:03:04 AM »

Whatever his background motives are Viganò isn't some random village idiot, high positions he has held in church administration make his accusations very serious and if they are false Francis should have denied them instead of evading the question.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »

I'm sorry but I'm just not going to take someone who claims homosexuality is the root cause of the pedophilia crisis as a credible source on this.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »

Vigano isn't necessarily credible, but Francis basically admitted to the accusations.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »

Francis should resign and the clergy must be purged of all priests who break the celibacy requirement. I don't care if it's 90% of them. It must happen for the good of the Church.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »

I'm sorry but I'm just not going to take someone who claims homosexuality is the root cause of the pedophilia crisis as a credible source on this.

He says he has documentary proof. It should be fairly easy to see if his story checks out or not. Of course if he refuses to show his evidence, then that would balance out Francis' squishy non-denial.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 02:28:27 PM »

He says he has documentary proof. It should be fairly easy to see if his story checks out or not. Of course if he refuses to show his evidence, then that would balance out Francis' squishy non-denial.

Of course, if there actually are documents it's a different matter. But I think the St. Thomas attitude is the correct one to take this time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »

Vigano isn't necessarily credible, but Francis basically admitted to the accusations.

No he hasn't. He's refused to dignify them with an answer, which is an eminently reasonable reaction when you're being slandered.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »

Francis should resign and the clergy must be purged of all priests who break the celibacy requirement. I don't care if it's 90% of them. It must happen for the good of the Church.

Or...just get rid of the celibacy requirement? Just a thought...
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »

Sad as it is, a lot of the sexual abuse is probably caused by the fact that these men have no legitimate outlet for their energy.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »

Sad as it is, a lot of the sexual abuse is probably caused by the fact that these men have no legitimate outlet for their energy.

Broke: They became child molestors because they’re priests
Woke: They became priests because they’re child molestors
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »

I'm not sure the Catholic Church can continue as an institution at this point.

I would support rewriting the U.S's first amendment, for example to ban the Catholic Church for "extreme bad behavior".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »

This is such a dumb and offensive talking point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

Maybe "dumb" in the sense it is unlikely to happen, but I am curious as to why it is offensive to you for someone to hold that opinion?
SInNYC

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »

No he hasn't. He's refused to dignify them with an answer, which is an eminently reasonable reaction when you're being slandered.

And Benedict has also refused to backup what Vigano said, while Benedict's secretary hinted that Vigano's account wasn't true. Pretty much every higher up on both sides has refused to comment.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 01:42:14 AM »

How is it offensive when Anglo-Catholics belonging to a Personal Ordinariate and Eastern Rite Catholics have provisions for married clergy, but are nonetheless Catholics in full Communion with Rome?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

Maybe "dumb" in the sense it is unlikely to happen, but I am curious as to why it is offensive to you for someone to hold that opinion?

It's offensive to men because it implies that they're just animals who need sex and will get it no matter what as opposed to human beings with free will and moral responsibility for their actions and it's offensive to women because it implies that they're only there as a receptacle for said male sexual desire. It's basically the same rationale that's used to excuse all sort of horrible behavior by men toward women.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies