TX-SEN Emerson: Cruz +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:13:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  TX-SEN Emerson: Cruz +1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: TX-SEN Emerson: Cruz +1  (Read 4905 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 09:45:32 AM »

New Poll: Texas Senator by Emerson College on 2018-08-25

Summary: D: 37%, R: 38%, U: 25%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »

Welp, I was right. God damn it Emerson.

I do find it interesting that in the polling we have so far, Abbott has opened up a large lead. But the senate race has been getting closer for the Ds. It seems like some ticket splitting is occurring.

That is true and a good point. TX does not have much recent history of significant ticket splitting, so if there is anything like a 20% difference between the GOV and SEN races, that would be a new thing and may indicate increasing elasticity in the Trump era among voters in the big mega cities.
Other cities, however, have not shown elasticity, and in fact have gotten only more inelastic. I think its more probable that the suburbs are swinging for Beto, but staying for Abbott. It could also point to some cities that are trending D, like Ft. Worth, voting for the D in the senate, but sticking with their roots for governor. I dont see Austin, Houston, Dallas, and El Paso voting R for governor.

If Abbott wins by 20 points again, he definitely has a shot on carrying Harris County.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 10:04:05 AM »

But of course this is more a reflection of Cruz than it is anything else. Should O'Rourke win he and Doug Jones are gonna have the two hottest seats in the Senate.

O'Rourke's lead is in large part driven by Cruz, but he's in a very different situation that Doug Jones.
Doug Jones is an incumbent in a Trump+29 state which is not trending towards Democrats.
Beto O'Rourke would be an incumbent in a Trump+8 that is trending towards Democrats. If you look at the crosstabs, you can also see an enormous age gap. In six years, that means that O'Rourke's base will be a lot bigger. Also, it's pretty likely that 2024 is a democratic election nationwide, and incumbency still gives him some advantage. I think that a good R nominee in 2024 might win, but O'Rourke has a much less narrow path to thread for re-election that Jones.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »

What is with the plethora of bad pollsters polling Florida and Texas, and the lack of quality polling this cycle? Anyway, I want to see a quality poster showing Cruz down by less than 4 (or trailing) before I move this out of Likely R.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 10:32:23 AM »

But of course this is more a reflection of Cruz than it is anything else. Should O'Rourke win he and Doug Jones are gonna have the two hottest seats in the Senate.

O'Rourke's lead is in large part driven by Cruz, but he's in a very different situation that Doug Jones.
Doug Jones is an incumbent in a Trump+29 state which is not trending towards Democrats.
Beto O'Rourke would be an incumbent in a Trump+8 that is trending towards Democrats. If you look at the crosstabs, you can also see an enormous age gap. In six years, that means that O'Rourke's base will be a lot bigger. Also, it's pretty likely that 2024 is a democratic election nationwide, and incumbency still gives him some advantage. I think that a good R nominee in 2024 might win, but O'Rourke has a much less narrow path to thread for re-election that Jones.

That's fair enough. You're right in principle on all affairs when discussing Texas vs Alabama. But I made my statement not assuming anything for 2024 because age gaps and trends can be difficult to predict. O'Rourke's voting base will indeed get bigger just as you said but I do not think that it's going to offset that 15+ point disparity between Cruz and Abbot that's allowing O'Rouke such a fight in this race. Republican voters are not going to bat for Cruz right now but they're still out there. Their base is going to grow as well and come 2024, they're gonna want their seat back. If O'Rourke wins this year and in 2024 it'll be because he won a majority of the 20% of undecideds in this election and went on to retain them 6 years later.

But in other words I can't think of any scenario in which the GOP does not do everything to win its seat back in 2024 if Cruz should lose in November

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »

There’s no way Cruz wins by 1 while Abbott wins by 20.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 10:52:18 AM »

There’s no way Cruz wins by 1 while Abbott wins by 20.

Stranger things have happened. Trump shattered turnout records despite an unfavorable rating across the board
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2018, 11:11:21 AM by Representative weatherboy1102 »

Live footage of the Cruz campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysf5o5xOGYE

Emerson isn't exactly great, but this is good news for O'Rourke. One more poll with Cruz up by less than 3 (from an actual decent pollster) and I'm moving it to Tilt R.
Greatblueheron
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 01:14:44 PM »

This is obviously a Junk Poll. Because, any poll with 25% undecided is practically useless.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 02:15:33 PM »

I keep saying that O'Rourke will narrowly pull it off.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »

Judging from the polling we have seen it is my guess that Cruz is probably behind in Harris County by double digits, doing as poorly in Dallas County as Trump did and probably barely leading in Tarrant County which is the bellwether for the state.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »

I heard a bunch of chads who I have known for like 3 years, and in that time I have never heard them voluntarily talking about politics. But today I heard them talking about Beto today and how he was so cool with his skateboarding. Another one thought that Beto was the senator and had no idea who Cruz was. Something feels a bit different in the air, obviously Cruz wins, but I would not be surprised if he got Warner’d. #ChadsforBeto

My sis also saw a big F250 with both the gadsden flag and a beto sticker a few weeks ago, on it lol, #goodoleboysforBeto.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 04:53:04 PM »

I've heard a lot of noise about O'Rourke losing gettable voters by refusing to moderate, while Cruz loses voters due to his opportunism (flipping from opponent to supporter) surrounding Trump.
I wonder whether there's an effective strategy for the O'Rourke camp to spin this;
'Better to have principles that you can disagree rather than no principles at all.'
Play the Election of 1800 defense.

That noise is a very outdated view; O’Rourke wouldn’t have raised millions if he’d ran as a moderate who was constantly trying to find the middle view and changing his views.

The big buzzfeed piece on it explained it better than me; but it’s not like if a devout blue dog was running that the race would be any tighter- much like Abrams in Georgia, Beto needs to turn out record numbers of African-Americans and first time voters.

People who politicians who are authentic; the absolute worst thing for a democrat to be is an inauthentic moderate chasing a voter dreamt up by a political consultant.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

I've heard a lot of noise about O'Rourke losing gettable voters by refusing to moderate, while Cruz loses voters due to his opportunism (flipping from opponent to supporter) surrounding Trump.
I wonder whether there's an effective strategy for the O'Rourke camp to spin this;
'Better to have principles that you can disagree rather than no principles at all.'
Play the Election of 1800 defense.

That noise is a very outdated view; O’Rourke wouldn’t have raised millions if he’d ran as a moderate who was constantly trying to find the middle view and changing his views.

The big buzzfeed piece on it explained it better than me; but it’s not like if a devout blue dog was running that the race would be any tighter- much like Abrams in Georgia, Beto needs to turn out record numbers of African-Americans and first time voters.

People who politicians who are authentic; the absolute worst thing for a democrat to be is an inauthentic moderate chasing a voter dreamt up by a political consultant.
Latinos are going to be Beto's key.  AAs are important too, but Latinos are to Texas what African-Americans are to Georgia.  Beto will need high turnout in the Mexican border counties just like Abrams needs high turnout in Metro ATL and the Black Belt counties.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 06:15:43 PM »

This poll is junk. Way too many undecideds to take it seriously at all.

Then again, it IS Emerson.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »

Latinos are going to be Beto's key.  AAs are important too, but Latinos are to Texas what African-Americans are to Georgia.  Beto will need high turnout in the Mexican border counties just like Abrams needs high turnout in Metro ATL and the Black Belt counties.

TX Latinos are very different from Georgia AAs. The difference is that Georgia AA's vote, while Texas Latinos do not vote.

Latinos will not vote in particularly high numbers and are not the key at all. The key is white suburban voters in Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio.

The question is whether Beto can do what no other TX Democrat has done (or come even vaguely close to doing) before - swing those white suburban voters to his side in big numbers.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »

I want a Quinnipac poll.... and polls of ND and IN for that matter.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »

I agree. My head keeps saying I'm crazy but my gut says he'll win.

He gives me major Obama vibes.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »

I agree. My head keeps saying I'm crazy but my gut says he'll win.

He gives me major Obama vibes.

Gr8 news for the gop then considering Obama lost Texas by double digits.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »

But he was in a teenage rock band! That kind of social identification and skateboarding is a threat!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »

I legitimately wonder if there are Republicans voting for O'Rourke for the sole purpose of giving it to Cruz for not endorsing Trump.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »

At the risk of derailing This Thread, can anyone explain to me why voter registration and turnout among Texas Hispanic citizens is so abysmal? I don't recall it being nearly so bad in States like Nevada Colorado or New Mexico, for example, though I could be wrong.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 10:40:51 AM »

At the risk of derailing This Thread, can anyone explain to me why voter registration and turnout among Texas Hispanic citizens is so abysmal? I don't recall it being nearly so bad in States like Nevada Colorado or New Mexico, for example, though I could be wrong.

There is the demographics, of course, but in South Texas it is also a cultural/historical issue. There is a history of machine politics, elections/votes being bought, and results being rigged (for example, LBJ's extra votes). Over time, this makes people believe that voting doesn't matter, and is not a way in which things can be improved. There is a lack of a perceived reason to vote, or a reason why voting is culturally important.

In addition, statewide general election races have not recently been remotely competitive, so this makes it seem like there is even less reason to vote. In many counties in South Texas, it has actually been the case that turnout in the Democratic primary is higher than General Election turnout. Because whereas the Democratic primary determines who holds local political offices, the General Election has been a foregone conclusion - Republicans will win statewide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies