Catholics leaving the Church over its stance on SSM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:20:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Catholics leaving the Church over its stance on SSM
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Catholics leaving the Church over its stance on SSM  (Read 766 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

I googled the question because I was curious as to how many Catholics are leaving the Church over its stance on SSM (which in many quarters is becoming increasing socially unacceptable), and found this recent article. I wonder how over time the Church will handle this matter.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

Well this kind of disproves the whole deal about how virtually no one does because muh culture and tradition.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:29 PM »

This just makes it more likely that the Catholic Church will remain anti-SSM, because all of their internal voices supporting it are leaving it, making the Church more conservative.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:07:28 PM »

I googled the question because I was curious as to how many Catholics are leaving the Church over its stance on SSM (which in many quarters is becoming increasing socially unacceptable), and found this recent article. I wonder how over time the Church will handle this matter.

It's a bit dated, but Pew did a study on people raised Catholic a while back. Some relevant stats:

It seems like gay marriage is the primary reason for leaving Rome for a small segment of ex-Catholics, and part of a larger "package" of reasons for a much larger cohort. A couple other thoughts:

1) Catholicism is many losing people to Evangelicalism and Mainline Protestantism too, and for very different reasons from the "nones". They seem stuck between a rock and a hard place.

2) I was concerned that reasons for leaving would be influenced by nominal Catholics becoming nones. That is, people whose parents rarely brought them to mass, or taught them the faith leaving over homosexuality might give the impression that there is a crisis despite those who were raised in the faith holding firm. The study seems to indicate that there might be a bit of that here, but the effect is modest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies