Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:03:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing  (Read 10748 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »

Is there still time for Democrats to field additional candidates for some of the seats where the Republicans are currently uncontested.

Oh yeah, a majority of the seats in the state are uncontested because it is early, and nobody who cares has announced yet - with a few exceptions. This is a after all a state house...
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2019, 08:20:15 PM »

How many Districts were won by Clinton 2016 in this map?
How many by Northam 2017?
How many by Kaine 2018?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »

How many Districts were won by Clinton 2016 in this map?
How many by Northam 2017?
How many by Kaine 2018?

Info can be found here:

https://www.vpap.org/general-assembly/redistricting-2018/

I believe the accepted plans are:

Richmond A
Petersburg 2
Peninsula 2
HR A

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »

Okay this is just funny:

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2019, 08:44:04 PM by Nyvin »

Dems just got their map for the Tidewater seats. Two reps in safe dem seats, and potentially more flips including the GOP Speakers. GG

If I'm counting right (big if)

54 seats are lean to safe D

41 seats are lean to safe R

1 seat tilts D

2 seats tilt R

2 seats are tossup
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »

All right! Good riddance to the Virginia GOP.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »

The VAGOP is officially dead.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »

Curious if that's the map that would have been drawn if One Virginia 2021 gets that independent redistricting commission amendment passed. 
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »

Curious if that's the map that would have been drawn if One Virginia 2021 gets that independent redistricting commission amendment passed. 

Well, theres a rumor going around that the courts picked the dem plans to correct for the Pub stuff in other parts of the map. If the map was truly fair then some of these districts would be illegal, but most are fine.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2019, 09:55:13 PM »

Glorious hopefully Kirk Cox goes down too especially after helping kill every marijuana bill this session and the ERA too.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »

Would it have been legal for the courts to redraw the entire map from scratch after finding VRA violations in just parts of the state? If not, then I want a source as to why. If so, I want to know why they chose not to do this.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2019, 12:29:03 AM »

I sure hope they’re not actually going to put this on the ballot when we’re mere months away from drawing the Virginia GOP into extinction.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2019, 12:37:59 AM »

Would it have been legal for the courts to redraw the entire map from scratch after finding VRA violations in just parts of the state? If not, then I want a source as to why. If so, I want to know why they chose not to do this.

Only certain districts, though admittedly a quite a few were thrown out. Therefore, the court only ordered redraws of those districts. However, changing one district will affect most of its neighbors. But the neighbors beyond that shouldn't need to change, and the count didn't hand down a mandate for said change. In fact the court handed down mandates on certain areas not to touch - note how VA beach is basically unchanged in all remedial plans with the exception of the horseshoe seat. However, just unpacking VRA seats that are too full to begin with does change the math significantly, since a AA voter is almost always a D voter - if s/he turns out to the polls.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:25 AM »

I sure hope they’re not actually going to put this on the ballot when we’re mere months away from drawing the Virginia GOP into extinction.

The legislature has to pass it in two sessions, so if it doesn't pass this year, they won't have time to get on the ballot and approved before the next round of redistricting for legislative maps.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »

Not looking great for Virginia Republicans:

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2019, 03:20:47 PM »

Okay this is just funny:

Amazing.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

Is the whole house and senate up in 2019?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »

Yes and hopefully when Dems get the trifecta we can get rid of the stupid one term limit and move elections from odd years to Presidential years.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2019, 06:26:35 PM by Frodo »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)

I was there and following the news when Jim Gilmore rode his signature promise to cut repeal the car tax all the way to the Governor's Mansion in 1997.  

He was only partially successful.  So in effect, he cut rather than repealed the car tax.  Quite substantially too even if he failed to honor his promise (though it wasn't for lack of trying).   
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2019, 06:42:26 PM »

Might happen in South Carolina long-term as well.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »

I remember in 2004 pundits like Tim Brokaw were talking about the fast growing NOVA suburbs, and they might trend Democratic. They agreed that 2004 was too soon, but maybe in 2008. Colorado was the exact same with Denver suburbia. In 2004 Colorado elected a Democratic Senator Ken Salazar and had a big D trend.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »

Republicans can afford to lose Georgia or North Carolina, maybe even both but they cant any under circumstances afford to lose Texas.

A loss of Texas will mean the party will fall into the same place the Democrats were in the 1980s , locked out of the WH. I think TX 2020 will be like VA 2004 so it would be better for the GOP to lose in 2020 than win.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »

Might happen in South Carolina long-term as well.

That would surprise me as South Carolina lacks the very large city / tech hubs you need to trend D with a Trumpish GOP. It's still too rural, too many retirees, small-city conservative, Evangelical.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2019, 10:25:40 PM »

I was there and following the news when Jim Gilmore rode his signature promise to cut repeal the car tax all the way to the Governor's Mansion in 1997.  

He was only partially successful.  So in effect, he cut rather than repealed the car tax.  Quite substantially too even if he failed to honor his promise (though it wasn't for lack of trying).   

A notable moment for me was the 2001 election where everyone was excited that Mark Warner had won the governorship after a long drought for Dems, but he only won narrowly and meanwhile the Democrats got slaughtered in the HoDs as the Republican transition took root with new maps.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies