Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:17:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Virginia HoD Redraw Thread - SCOTUS will not stop map drawing  (Read 10747 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2019, 10:35:33 PM »

56 Clinton seats. I wonder what the Northam/Kaine numbers are:

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2019, 11:16:14 PM »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)

Might happen in South Carolina long-term as well.

That would surprise me as South Carolina lacks the very large city / tech hubs you need to trend D with a Trumpish GOP. It's still too rural, too many retirees, small-city conservative, Evangelical.

South Carolina is the blue heart of Southern Democratic power in a timeline where Charleston remained the dominant Southern city.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »

I feel old to have lived through Virginia’s transition from ancestral Democrat to Republican dominance to, finally, moderate-to-liberal metropolitan Democrat.

Virginia was the first southern state to make this change. May Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas he close behind. (I can’t think of any other comparable southern state.)

I was there and following the news when Jim Gilmore rode his signature promise to cut repeal the car tax all the way to the Governor's Mansion in 1997.  

He was only partially successful.  So in effect, he cut rather than repealed the car tax.  Quite substantially too even if he failed to honor his promise (though it wasn't for lack of trying).   

A notable moment for me was the 2001 election where everyone was excited that Mark Warner had won the governorship after a long drought for Dems, but he only won narrowly and meanwhile the Democrats got slaughtered in the HoDs as the Republican transition took root with new maps.

What the Republicans had the Gubernatorial Mansion for 8 years, the 12 years before that was Democrats
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2019, 12:46:21 AM »

Dems are going to consolidate power very quickly to set them up for dominating the state for decades. We'll finally get early voting, same day registration, AVR, felon restoration which would bring out even more base voters to the polls. Plus gerrymandering the General Assembly and moving elections to Presidential years.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »

Dems are going to consolidate power very quickly to set them up for dominating the state for decades. We'll finally get early voting, same day registration, AVR, felon restoration which would bring out even more base voters to the polls. Plus gerrymandering the General Assembly and moving elections to Presidential years.

Didn't McAuliffe individually restore the voting rights of all felons?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »

Along with voter ID repeal and hopefully removing the ban on governor's running for reelection.

Didn't McAuliffe individually restore the voting rights of all felons?

The idea would be to have a process that would do it automatically.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »

Thorough critique of the sham Virginia GOP's redistricting reform proposal:

tl;dr: It's actually worse than the current way lines are drawn
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]