Oregon construction worker fired for refusing to attend Bible study
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Oregon construction worker fired for refusing to attend Bible study
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Oregon construction worker fired for refusing to attend Bible study  (Read 1599 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/08/lawsuit_oregon_construction_wo.html

The construction company owner says it's legal because his employees were paid for the time at Bible studies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »

that's a tough one.  The guy is doing a great thing by hiring ex-felons, that's something most people don't do (for good and obvious reasons).  I wouldn't mind getting paid to sit in church for an hour a week, it can't be any worse than other kinds of pointless classes jobs often make us sit through.

If they're getting paid and are free to quit, I don't think it should be illegal, but I don't know what the actual law says.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »

that's a tough one.  The guy is doing a great thing by hiring ex-felons, that's something most people don't do (for good and obvious reasons).  I wouldn't mind getting paid to sit in church for an hour a week, it can't be any worse than other kinds of pointless classes jobs often make us sit through.

If they're getting paid and are free to quit, I don't think it should be illegal, but I don't know what the actual law says.

I would support it being legal to pay them to attend Bible study, but if a worker doesn't want to, they should be able to simply opt out and forfeit the pay. Not be fired for it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »

Yeah, I agree that would be better, but I don't think there aught to be a law about it.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »

So much for all the concern for 'religious freedom'.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:46:23 AM »

Tough one. Clearly it should be illegal to require people to attend a religious observance as part of a job. However, bible study need not be a religious observance. So it depends upon how the study is conducted and whether what he does during it affects his employee evaluation.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »

I am quite confident this is illegal. Bible study to me is quite clearly a "religious activity," and one cannot force employees to participate in religious activities.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »

I am quite confident this is illegal. Bible study to me is quite clearly a "religious activity," and one cannot force employees to participate in religious activities.

Bible study can also be viewed as  "ethical instruction" .  Employment Division v. Smith makes clear that assertion of religious beliefs does not invalidate otherwise lawful purposes. To the degree accommodation is required, it could be satisfied by having the employee attend an non-Christian ethics training program. I don't see this as a problem requiring a $800,000 payday.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »

Hard to see how it would relevant to employee performance unless they were rebuilding Solomon's Temple or something.

Ethics touches pretty much every job.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

Hard to see how it would relevant to employee performance unless they were rebuilding Solomon's Temple or something.

So does Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.

Which is why I think the correct accommodation is allowing an alternate form of ethics training, assuming the CRA applies. The CRA doesn't apply to small businesses and the suit was brought under Oregon's law which applies to employers of all sizes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:49:17 PM »

Which is why I think the correct accommodation is allowing an alternate form of ethics training, assuming the CRA applies. The CRA doesn't apply to small businesses and the suit was brought under Oregon's law which applies to employers of all sizes.

What about my proposal (the employer can offer paid Bible study, but employees can simply opt to not attend without pay but without being fired)?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2018, 04:38:14 PM by Torie »

Bible study can also be viewed as  "ethical instruction" .  Employment Division v. Smith makes clear that assertion of religious beliefs does not invalidate otherwise lawful purposes. To the degree accommodation is required, it could be satisfied by having the employee attend an non-Christian ethics training program. I don't see this as a problem requiring a $800,000 payday.

The damage figure is not real. Damage claims rarely are.  The employer didn't offer up secular ethics training as an alternative, so that is not available as a defense. I don't think what the employer had in mind was ethnics training that was employer related anyway. He was trying to save lost souls.

Smith was about legalizing a crime (use of peyote) based on the free exercise of religion. The peyote users lost. The case is not apposite. The free exercise clause does not mean an employer can force employees to receive religious instruction.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 04:40:04 PM »

What about my proposal (the employer can offer paid Bible study, but employees can simply opt to not attend without pay but without being fired)?

That won't fly if that means some employees are paid for less hours. The employer needs to pay those who don't want to attend doing some other activity that is not religious.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »

The employer didn't offer up secular ethics training as an alternative, so that is not available as a defense. I don't think what the employer had in mind was ethnics training that was employer related anyway. He was trying to save lost souls.

Smith was about legalizing a crime (use of peyote) based on the free exercise of religion. The peyote users lost. The case is not apposite. The free exercise clause does not mean an employer can force employees to receive religious instruction.
I'll grant the employer likely views religion as the only true source of ethics. But you seem to miss my point, that the employee's religious views (which is why he objected to being paid to attend a bible study) would similarly not allow him to prevail, if the employer can show a valid business reason for the instruction.

The employee didn't suggest a different form of ethics training as an alternative either, yet I believe that these sorts of laws are generally more about providing equitable remedies than legal remedies.  So, requiring the employee to be rehired and take alternatives to bible study for the ethics training portion of his job, along with payment for the difference between what he would likely have earned and what he actually earned in the interim seems to me to be the appropriate remedy. Any punitive action that might be taken against the employer would be in addition to the remedy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »

Yeah, the employer is obviously more sympathetic than what you'd expect for this sort of case, but religious traditionalists should still hope this illegal. I'd hate to have my employer force me to sit through some sort of religious/ethics study that went against my faith.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »

This is the best solution.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »

I wish I could get paid to go to church.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »

The company needs to make its religious mission explicit during the recruiting/hiring process.  If they did that, it should be legal.  It should not be allowed if it comes as a surprise after hiring.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies