Ohio Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:16:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Ohio Megathread  (Read 12139 times)
Ohioguy29

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:17 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2018, 03:31:37 PM by Ohioguy29 »

I rarely seem to see Ohio races discussed here, including the very exciting election in OH-1. If mods would prefer this be a general Midwestern megathread, I can change the title.

It's dog whistle week here in OH-1. The week started off with a completely insane facebook post from Anderson Township trustee Andrew Pappas where he accused Aftab of turning Nepal communist. He tweeted something similar, and COAST, an influential political group which is basically a branch of the Hamilton County Republican party, replied in a way that implied Pappas' claim was credible and called Aftab a communist. The official Hamilton County GOP page also retweeted something calling him a communist (and comparing him to Nancy Pelosi, of course.) It looks like they're really gonna go with this. It's very 1950s, and also incredibly tasteless, considering Aftab's mother was a refugee from the communist Chinese. I suspect that's partially why they went with this line of attack, to get under his skin.

Now Paul Ryan's super PAC is making headlines for this ad tying Aftab to Libyan terrorists. The terrorist attacks in question happened when he was 6 years old, and the settlement was paid before he ever worked at the law firm. Not to mention what the law firm did here was not even nefarious in the first place.

Oh, they're also trying to tie him to 9/11. A friend and I had literally just been joking about how they were gonna do that, and just a little while later I saw that the Hamilton County GOP had retweeted this:

I expect by November they'll manage to connect Aftab to everything bad that's ever happened between Algeria and Japan, and some stuff that didn't.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »

I hope this stuff badly backfires on the OHGOP and Chabot. Disgusting.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:09:40 PM »

So far even Republican voters are like "wtf?" when it comes to the Nepal conspiracy theories. I'll have to see how campaign season progresses to see how this strategy works in general. Even if it helps (and I don't think it will), I don't think it's gonna be enough to save Chabot. He's resorting to these desperate attacks because he knows he's in danger and there's nothing real to attack Aftab on. Before this the GOP was attacking Aftab for firing patronage employees and wearing jeans while playing softball. Apparently Steve Chabot has no positive qualities of his own considering even his campaign doesn't talk about why he's a good congressman; the only ads he's running are attack ads.

This is honestly the nastiest campaign I've ever seen. I'm shocked at how quickly things went downhill; before this there hadn't been anything super nasty, just stuff like "Aftab is pro-abortion" and "Aftab isn't from the West Side." Typical Cincinnati campaign stuff. I expected racism and dirty politics eventually but they usually keep it more toned down. This went from 0-60 fast.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:25:13 AM »

So far even Republican voters are like "wtf?" when it comes to the Nepal conspiracy theories. I'll have to see how campaign season progresses to see how this strategy works in general. Even if it helps (and I don't think it will), I don't think it's gonna be enough to save Chabot. He's resorting to these desperate attacks because he knows he's in danger and there's nothing real to attack Aftab on. Before this the GOP was attacking Aftab for firing patronage employees and wearing jeans while playing softball. Apparently Steve Chabot has no positive qualities of his own considering even his campaign doesn't talk about why he's a good congressman; the only ads he's running are attack ads.

This is honestly the nastiest campaign I've ever seen. I'm shocked at how quickly things went downhill; before this there hadn't been anything super nasty, just stuff like "Aftab is pro-abortion" and "Aftab isn't from the West Side." Typical Cincinnati campaign stuff. I expected racism and dirty politics eventually but they usually keep it more toned down. This went from 0-60 fast.

About a decade late for that stuff, but I knew we were in for a nasty campaign when Chabot sent folks to menace/harass Purevel’s family.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:23:25 AM »

Chabot will win by like 3-4 points.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »

un-f**king-believable
Ohioguy29

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »

Nah, Aftab's gonna win this one. And I don't think I'm an overly optimistic person. I thought we were gonna narrowly lose in OH-12 and I was right. This district is more winnable, and Aftab is a much better candidate than O'Connor; he is basically Cincinnati's Obama. Chabot is resorting to these pathetic attacks because he is desperate and scared.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »

I thought Chabot would win b/c I don't see a normal republican like DeWine losing OH-1. But with negative campaigning like this(which voters seem to dislike) and a strong candidate in Aftab Pureval, it may flip regardless of whether Brown and/or Cordray win this district or not.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »

OH-12 being as close as it was should be enough to justify Steve Chabot being terrified.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 08:15:59 PM »

The local GOP's classy response to the criticism they've received.

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »

Lmao, what even? A corny ad of Aftab running a short distance is ageism now? Is the GOP trying to lose this seat?
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

Kinda love how everyone in the GOP basically talks like they're on a gaming forum.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »

Lmao, what even? A corny ad of Aftab running a short distance is ageism now? Is the GOP trying to lose this seat?

Yes

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

Kinda love how everyone in the GOP basically talks like they're on a gaming forum.

I wouldn't put it past them if they ever swatted a Democratic candidate.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 12:27:39 AM »

September 4th was hypocrisy day for the Hamilton County GOP. They criticized Aftab for being at an event with the host of a talk show (who was also mayor of Cincinnati but we'll ignore that.) How can anyone take him seriously now?

The clerk of courts website was down! *shakes fist* Thanks, Aftab! For anyone who was familiar with the old website this criticism is laughable.

I have to keep my mockery here because @HamCoGOP blocked me.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »

Over in OH-14, Betsy Rader has released her first ad. It's okay.

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 09:32:56 PM »

It's getting mixed reviews from what I've seen, but I think it's solid. Somewhat evocative of Balderson' first ad back in the primaries. Definitely better than the sort of stuff consultants have been telling her to do. "I'm a MOM of TWO gay sons," is not a winning message up here. (And that's not her main message, but you can tell HRC and EMILY's List is pushing that message.)
Ohioguy29

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 09:43:15 PM »

It's getting mixed reviews from what I've seen, but I think it's solid. Somewhat evocative of Balderson' first ad back in the primaries. Definitely better than the sort of stuff consultants have been telling her to do. "I'm a MOM of TWO gay sons," is not a winning message up here. (And that's not her main message, but you can tell HRC and EMILY's List is pushing that message.)

I question whether her wearing shorts riding a bike was the right thing to go with for this ad. She looks more like a mom than someone running for Congress. That's really my only major criticism. The message is good, and definitely better than the crap some people want Dems to run on, as you mention. It's kinda bland, but so are most political ads (apart from hilariously bad attack ads.)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »

I question whether her wearing shorts riding a bike was the right thing to go with for this ad. She looks more like a mom than someone running for Congress. That's really my only major criticism. The message is good, and definitely better than the crap some people want Dems to run on, as you mention. It's kinda bland, but so are most political ads (apart from hilariously bad attack ads.)

Eh. It’s not a good message for the general public to be MOM FOR CONGRESS. It’s an okay look, though. Relatable, et cetera. Do people really want more stuffy white guys in suits?
Ohioguy29

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:02 PM »

Eh. It’s not a good message for the general public to be MOM FOR CONGRESS. It’s an okay look, though. Relatable, et cetera. Do people really want more stuffy white guys in suits?

I definitely don't think she needed to pantsuit it up or anything. I'm not sure what I would've had her wearing. Either way, just a minor quibble.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »

These things have absolutely zero influence on election outcomes.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 11:28:49 PM »

I definitely don't think she needed to pantsuit it up or anything. I'm not sure what I would've had her wearing. Either way, just a minor quibble.

Who even gives a crap, she aint winning lmao.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »

These things have absolutely zero influence on election outcomes.

Yes, but we need some way to keep ourselves occupied.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »

Another "quality" ad from the Chabot campaign

I'm almost proud of them for actually getting one decent attack in there. Not that Aftab will actually end up in jail for that campaign finance thing. On the whole though, the ad comes off as defensive. Not the image you wanna project when you're an incumbent.

He also just straight up lies about his healthcare record. Okay. And the GOP's dumb attacks on Aftab's softball ad have made it to an actual ad lol.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »

Ken Harbaugh has released his first TV ad for the general and it is fantastic. Haters are whining about "toxic masculinity" or some crap. Whatever, he isn't running to win over your feminist book club, he's running to win in Trump country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies