Should Pope Francis Resign?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:21:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should Pope Francis Resign?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Should Pope Francis Resign?  (Read 1966 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »

Says it on the tin. I would say yes. Even if he wasn't aware of the abuse, his reputation is permanently damaged now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »

He either needs to step up to the plate and say what he knew, and when he knew it, or resign.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 01:42:21 PM »

Absolutely...
and the Catholic church should be banned for inflicting so much pain and hurt to the most vulnerable in society for centuries :/

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

Hell no.  That would be insane.  Pope Benedict definitely knew about it though - the real reason for his resignation is becoming more and more clear, I mean, he's still alive but was supposidly on deaths door?  He knew what was coming.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 03:10:38 PM »

People are finally waking up.

JPII monument in Ostrów Wielkopolski, with a sign saying "I've been covering up for pedophiles"

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 05:18:52 PM »

Italy should invade and annexe the Vatican tbh.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »

Not unless he gets a more credible accuser
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »

Italy is itself too corrupt to impose civic governance/the rule of law on the Vatican.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:25:04 PM »

Not unless he gets a more credible accuser
This.  Let's face it, anyone who would succeed Francis will face questions about whether they did enuf as a bishop and archbishop.  Absent credible allegations, preferably from someone without an obvious axe to grind, there's nothing the Vatican would gain from a papal retirement.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »

Yes, but I'm not holding out any hope.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »

If and only if he knew McCarrick was sleeping with seminarians as alleged and covered it up/removed sanctions against him. He should, however, answer the question and set up an independent lay commission to investigate and publicly release their findings.

While this whole situations is extraordinary to put it mildly, there is also a serious danger in too quickly calling for him to resign without thoroughly investigating. Sure it would address the crisis of the moment, but it would also set a precedent wherein whoever has a grievance with the pope would simply accuse him of something nasty. No doubt the Vatican bureaucracy has its own set of brood of vipers lobbying for everything imaginable and some things unimaginable. Traitors have been with us since the time of Judas and cowardly, corrupt popes since Liberius. As long humans are involved, we will continue to have such struggles.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2018, 06:41:49 PM »

It's impossible for anyone not following any story involving a crime not to speculate about what exactly happened, who is innocent and who is guilty. I've done it in my own head with this Vigano letter.

But, as people who don't have vatican sources, who weren't involved in the events concerned, we don't know, and at the moment we can't do. I think that all that is hidden will undoubtedly be revealed, but that will take time. In the internet world we live in everyone feels the need to have an immediate take, but, actually, we don't.

Let's just wait a bit and see.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »

lol @ leftists in this thread being the useful idiots of a cabal of disgruntled reactionary clerics.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

No, for several reasons.

1.  The most important reason is that Francis is probably the only person who has a realistic chance of changing the Church.  Francis has opposed "careerism" and "clericalism,"  which are similar.  It is putting the institution ahead of its mission; the coverups were to protect the Church as an institution.  At this point, his critics tend to be "clericalists."   Any replacement has a good chance of being one of these "clericalists," not someone inclined to reform.

2.  The claim is that Francis was told that McCarrick was involved with adult men, not children, and that it was consensual.  His actions were a violation of the laws of the Church, but not of criminal law.  I will give the Church much more leeway in enforcing its own rules, provided that the violation of those rules are not criminal violations as well. 

If the claim was that Francis was told that McCarrick was having an affair with adult woman, and did nothing, would there be calls for Francis's resignation? 

3.  As has been noted, these allegation were made by someone with a grudge against Francis and the people speaking in support of that archbishop tend to be "clericalists," or have problems of their own.

The main reason is the first one.  The Church needs to be cleaned and the best broom is Francis. 

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »

Says it on the tin. I would say yes. Even if he wasn't aware of the abuse, his reputation is permanently damaged now.

The Pope is a liar and yes, he should have the couth to resign, but will not likely ever do so.

As you can see, as in the past, all the Vatican thinjs and cares about is indulgences, even to where the lying Pope speak for god himself as to who god will acknowledge or not.

The pope would be a nice guy, if he was not such a liar.

Regards
DL
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:41 PM »

He should, the position shouldn't exist, and the Catholic Church needs to reboot itself or disband.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »

He should, the position shouldn't exist, and the Catholic Church needs to reboot itself or disband.

The fact that you have to say that shows how lax our governments have been in allowing flagrant criminal abuse of our most vulnerable citizens for so long.

Shame on all of us for giving all religions respect that they do not deserve.

If I had -----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w

Regards
DL
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »

He came in and told Boehner to resign and give the spot to Paul Ryan, and the GOP party is still in turmoil.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »

The Papacy should be abolished.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »

So should Christianity and Islam.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them the moral ways.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/theft-values/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxoxPapPxXk

Humanity centered religions, good? Yes.  Esoteric ecumenist Gnostic Christianity being the best of these.

Supernaturally based religions, evil? Yes. Islam and Christianity being the worst of these.

Regards
DL
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies