TX CD 23 in 2018 and Historical Context and Electoral Data (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX CD 23 in 2018 and Historical Context and Electoral Data (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX CD 23 in 2018 and Historical Context and Electoral Data  (Read 3911 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« on: September 23, 2018, 04:52:15 PM »

I know you put in a lot of work on this. I'd make a substantive comment, I'm just not sure what to say, so I'll just make this comment to indicate acknowledgement and appreciation!
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:00:29 PM »

Time to shift gears a little bit and start to break down Bexar County CD-23 into slightly greater detail....

Let's start with looking at the most Republican part of the County, the Northeastern Part of the District....

It consists predominately of precincts located within the City of San Antonio, as well as some Unincorporated areas, that are effectively suburban in nature.

I agree, you pulled out pretty much the crucial part of TX-23 here. This is the most wealthy, white, traditionally Republican, high turnout part of San Antonio, and it has absolutely no legitimate business being in a Hispanic VRA seat (which is why it was included in the district, to stop Hispanics from being able to elect their candidate of choice). The other part of why it is included is that, particularly in the northern part, it has more white/wealthy/Republican/high turnout population growth, which is key to keeping TX-23 Republican leaning over time and offsetting the effect of Hispanic population growth. That is key to an effective gerrymander/vote rigging scheme in areas with significant population growth and demographic change - picking out the right areas of empty land to include in the district, because you know in advance who will move into those empty areas of land.

This area is also particularly critical in midterms because it is high turnout, and suffers less from midterm (I am not looking at any numbers, but I am pretty sure that if you checked, the % of the total vote cast by those precincts in TX-23 would be higher in midterms than in Presidential years).

The big problem is Hurd has done a fairly good job of differentiating himself from Trump. Indeed, he may have been partly specifically targeting this area and these voters when deciding to be somewhat critical of Trump. So I am not too optimistic that there will be a very large Dem swing here, and if there is not, that is the key for Hurd to hold on.

And of course, it makes absolutely no substantive sense for this to be the case that the crucial voters in a Hispanic VRA seat should be high income/high turnout whites, but that's why it's a fake Hispanic VRA seat rather than a real one.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »

Now it's time to take a look at the NW Portion of Bexar County CD-23....

This is really basically the same area as the 1st part you picked out. You could just combine them into one area, and also probably include 1 or 2 more precincts in it as well, I think. It only gets a bit different when you get on to the actual western side of the county.

Just out of curiosity do you think the Dem challenger being LGBT might be hurting her a bit among possible "swing voters"?

It's not going to help her, let's just say that.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

Yeah, SE San Antonio is basically explained by the African American population there.

Including those precincts in TX-23 is one of the few stupid things Republicans did with their gerrymander. They could have included alternate precincts in southern San Antonio that would have been more heavily Hispanic and provided a smaller Democratic vote margin than those precincts, so they could have made TX-23 both more heavily Hispanic and also less Democratic by including alternate precincts. That would have made it look more like a "Hispanic" district, but actually be even more of a fake Hispanic district.

Re: Ortiz-Jones' sexual orientation --- probably only a very small number of voters are even aware of her sexual orientation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies