A right royal question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:06:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  A right royal question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A right royal question  (Read 743 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »

We all know that Prince Charles is the heir to the British throne, as upon  the death of Queen Elizabeth  II he will become the King.

My question is, if Prince Charles had never had any children, then who  becomes the first heir to King Charles III, Princess Anne, who is the second child of Queen Elizabeth II or Prince Andrew who is the third child of Queen Elizabeth II?   
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »

I believe previously the line of succession favored male children, so Andrew would stay in front of Anne despite being younger.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »

We all know that Prince Charles is the heir to the British throne, as upon  the death of Queen Elizabeth  II he will become the King.

My question is, if Prince Charles had never had any children, then who  becomes the first heir to King Charles III, Princess Anne, who is the second child of Queen Elizabeth II or Prince Andrew who is the third child of Queen Elizabeth II?  

Andrew, as per male-preference primogeniture.

Although in 2011 governments of the Commonwealth realms agreed to amend the succession rules to mandate absolute primogeniture (which would place Anne ahead of Andrew), the rule is not retroactive and doesn't apply to those born before it was decided.

In comparision the Swedish law that pushed Princess Victoria's younger brother down the line of succession in her favor was not retroactive.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 10:07:06 PM »

Long live Queen Frederike I!

Actually, it's not just Queen Victoria.  If you change the primogeniture rules retroactively to encompass all descendants of Sophia of Hanover, she'd still be the queen.  Personally, there are so many descendants of Queen Victoria, I think they should have limited the succession to them when they changed the rules so that there are only a hundred or so in the line of succession instead of closr to a thousand.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 03:18:35 AM »

Prince Andrew is ahead of Princess Anne because the rule change was not retroactive.  Princess Charlotte is however ahead of her younger brother Prince Louis.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »

Prince Andrew is ahead of Princess Anne because the rule change was not retroactive.  Princess Charlotte is however ahead of her younger brother Prince Louis.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2018, 05:18:34 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Good points have been made by everyone.  Thank you.

Therefore, the line of succession would be Prince Charles, in this scenario he has no children, so Prince Andrew and his descendants would be next in line, and then Prince Edward and his descendants would follow, and then Princess Anne and her descendants.  

Actually, I had completely forgotten about Prince Edward until just a short time ago.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies