How serious was Hillary Clinton,s baggage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:16:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How serious was Hillary Clinton,s baggage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How serious was Hillary Clinton,s baggage  (Read 824 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »

Where most of her scandals minor?  Was it just the way she reponded that made things worse?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:54:39 PM »

Most of 'em were fake news until she responded poorly to each of 'em and then allowed others to build up.

In the end, it was whom she had for staff that did her in. You can pretty much thank Weiner and Abedin for The Comeyghazi October Surprise.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »

I'm trying to find the leaked email where someone at the DNC in early 2015 basically stated that the private email revelations were "radioactive."  Anyone remember that?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:36:19 PM »

As is always the case with Hillary Clinton, none of them mattered; they just “mattered.”
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:47:06 AM »

It wasn't what was in Clinton's email, but how she handled them.

Clinton had one big advantage going into 2016.  She had experience and that experience implied competence, i.e. she could run the country.

Almost everyone agreed that she handled her e-mails improperly; not anything criminal necessarily, but still improper.  It was something that, if a staffer would do it, would be grounds for firing the staffer.  That damaged the image that she was competent.  When they discovered on Weiner's phone afterward, that further damaged that image.  Not only did she handle the emails improperly, but she let them float around improperly.

Hillary has always had some baggage, but this was something new.  I started 2016 leaning towards Clinton; I really liked her in 2008.  I did not want Trump to win the nomination.  If I would have been given Hillary and Trump in March or April of 2016, I would have voted for Clinton.  In July, I started to move away from her. 

That coupled with no swerve to the center pretty much drove me to Trump. 
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:40 PM »

Hillary's baggage with the general electorate was her personality, which people didn't like. Swing voters vote on charisma. If Obama had the same scandals conservatives would still care, but it wouldn't move any swing voters like with Hillary.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30:11 PM »

The issue is not the scandals themselves, but how she handled them. For example:

-If she had issued a genuine "mea culpa" about her e-mail server very early on in the campaign, instead of being evasive about this issue when asked about it, this might have been a nothing-burger in the campaign overall.
-If she had released transcripts of her Wall Street speeches (regardless of the contents of those speeches), and/or if she had held more frequent press conferences, she would have come off as being "transparent" and been able to use this as a more effective weapon against Trump for things like him hiding his tax returns.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies