Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:45:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29142 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
« edited: October 17, 2018, 01:43:49 PM by New Tennessean Politician »

Turn IV

March 13th - April 2nd

Wisconsin Primary

On April 2nd, the second of the remaining 14 Nationwide Primaries, Wisconsin, will decide who their delegates will support at the convention. The Caucuses in Michigan and Minnesota will decide who to support as well.

Kennedy Easily wins Vermont and Maine Caucuses and New Hampshire Primary for Democrats/Baker wins Vermont; Smith wins Maine, New Hampshire for Republicans

New York Senator Robert Francis Kennedy easily won the three states last night with no contest against the absent Hawaii Representative Patsy Mink for the Democrats, giving him 63 Delegates to Mink's 5. For the Republicans, Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith wins her home state of Maine and squeaks out a .1% win in New Hampshire, while Tennessee Senator Howard Henry Baker Jr won Vermont in a surprise. The current Republican Delegate count is 19 for Smith, 10 for Baker, and 5 for Case.

Grosvenor Square Violence

91 injured and 200 arrested after a protest against the Vietnam War, thus increasing opposition to the war.

Gold Standard Repealed

Congress repeals the requirement for a gold reserve to back the US Currency. The effects on the economy is currently unknown.

Siege at Howard University

Students stage rallies, protests, and a 5 day sit-in, laying siege to Howard University's administration building in protest of it's ROTC Program, the Vietnam war, and a demand for a more Afrocentrism Curriculum.

3rd Republican Debate on March 30th in La Crosse, Wisconsin

On March 30th, the 3rd Republican Primary Debate will be held in La Crosse, Wisconsin. With it being so close to the Primary, it is likely that the one who performs the best to voters will likely have a big boost in the Primary.

Nixon/Romney out; Nixon endorses Smith, Romney Endorsement unknown

Before the New Hampshire Primary, Former Vice President Richard Nixon dropped out of the Republican Primaries due to a drop in poll numbers and endorsed Senator Smith for the Nomination. At the same time, Governor Romney has dropped out though it is unclear who he will endorse. Many are sure the winner will be whoever wins the Michigan Caucuses on April 2nd.

Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield runs Independent

Montana Senator and the Majority Leader for the Senate, Democrat Mike Mansfield, has announced he'll run as an Independent, most likely to fight Senator Kennedy should he get the Nomination in the General. It is unknown how much support he'll gain from an anti-Kennedy movement within the party, so the simple thing to say is to wait and see.

Republicans Nationally:

Baker: 19%
Smith: 18%
Case: 18%
Goldwater: 15%
Scranton: 12%
Reagan: 8%
Stassen: 1%
Undecided: 7%

After winning in Maine and New Hampshire, Senator Smith has seen herself be tied for second with Senator Case and only 1% behind Senator Baker for the status of Front-runner. Following the dropping out of Governor Romney and Former Vice President Nixon and the absence of Governor Reagan and Former Governor Stassen from the campaign trail, only 5 real Candidates remain for the Nomination by the Republican Party. The winner of Wisconsin Primary, should it be Senators Goldwater, Smith, or Case or Governor Scranton, the winner of the Primary will certainly get a boost in Delegates and support in the polls.

Democrats Nationally:

Kennedy: 35%
Mink: 24%
Humphrey: 14%
Smathers: 14%
McCarthy: 10%
Undecided: 3%

With Mike Mansfield dropping out of the Primary to run an Independent Campaign and the absence of all opponents, Senator Kennedy swept Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire, and has a large spring to jump into as he leads his closest opponent, Hawaii Representative Patsy Mink, by 15%, practically making him untouchable. However, some anti-kennedy democrats have been rumored to be planning separate write-in campaigns to stop Kennedy from easily getting the Nomination on the first ballot should Kennedy win the 3 states on April 2nd with no real competition and his opponents are still not heard from.

General Election Polling:

Generic Democrat: 46%
Generic Republican: 44%
Mike Mansfield: 8%
Undecided/Others: 2%

President Johnson Approval Rating

Disapprove: 47%
Approve: 42%
Unsure/No Opinion: 11%

Moderator's notes: This turn will last until Friday afternoon, October 20th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Debates can be crafted but a Player first have to challenge all his opponents in the Primary and they all have to agree to said Debate and where said Debate will take place. Once the details are hammered out, I will have the Debate ready for the next Turn.

This turn will last from the rest of March to the Wisconsin Primary on April 2nd. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

The 3rd Republican Debate, State Polling, Regional Strength, Candidate Notoriety, Organization, and Funding will all be posted later.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

(I'll only be using the Candidate on the Ballots for these states' Polling. I'll do all Candidate for a specific Region)

State Polling:

Wisconsin

Republicans:

Case: 29%
Smith: 26%
Goldwater: 20%
Scranton: 17%
Undecided: 8%

Reasoning: Following the New Hampshire Primary and the Exclusion of Senator Baker from the ballot, Senator Case leads Senator Smith by 3% as both have gotten a large chunk of momentum from their New Hampshire primary performances. At the same time, Former Governor Scranton has dropped due to the entrance of Smith though he has a shot if he's able to rally all the Undecideds and some other candidate's voters behind him, which is very unlikely, he could win. a and the same coul be said for Senator Goldwater.

Democrats:

Kennedy: 57%
Mink: 31%
Smathers: 10%
Undecided: 2%

Reasoning: Following Kennedy getting on the Ballot just before the New Hampshire Primary, he has taken a huge lead, leading Representative Mink by 26% and thus could likely win the Wisconsin Primary Handily like he did in New Hampshire. If both Mink and Smathers campaign heavily, however, Wisconsin could be competitive once again.

Pennsylvania

Republicans:

Scranton: 36%
Case: 33%
Smith: 21%
Goldwater: 7%
Undecided: 3%

Reasoning: Despite it being Scranton's home state, Senator Case's post New hampshire boost has helped him greatly against the former Governor. With Senator Smith and Senator Goldwater both on the ballot as well, Scranton could face a tough night in trying to win his home state on April 23rd should nothing change.

Democrats:

Kennedy: 73%
Smathers: 5%
Undecided: 22%

Reasoning: With Smathers still absent from the race, Senator Kennedy has continued to dominate the state and it's unlikely he'll lose it unless something major happens.

Massachusetts:

Republicans:

Case: 45%
Scranton: 23%
Undecided: 33%

Reasoning: With Senator Smith not on the Ballot, many of her supporters in Massachusetts has flocked to support Senator Case as opposed to Governor Scranton. Should Senator Smith appear on the ballot for the state, it's almost certain she'll win it handily unless Case is able to consolidate is support in the days leading up to the Massachusetts Primary.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2018, 08:47:34 AM »

Regional Strength per Candidate

Republicans:

New England

States: Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island

1st. Margaret Chase Smith
2nd. Clifford Case
3rd. Howard Baker
4th. William Scranton
5th. Ronald Reagan
6th. Barry Goldwater
7th. Harold Stassen

Mid-Atlantic

States: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

1st. William Scranton
2nd. Clifford Case
3rd. Howard Baker
4th Margaret Chase Smith
5th. Harold Stassen
6th. Barry Goldwater
7th. Ronald Reagan

South Atlantic

States: Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

1st. Howard Baker
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Clifford Case
5th. William Scranton
5th. Margaret Chase Smith
6th. Ronald Reagan
7th. Harold Stassen

East South Central

States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

1st. Howard Baker
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Clifford Case
4th. William Scranton
5th. Ronald Reagan
6th. Margaret Chase Smith
7th. Harold Stassen

East North Central

States: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin

1st. Clifford Case
2nd. Margaret Chase Smith
3rd. William Scranton
4th. Howard Baker
5th. Barry Goldwater
6th. Ronald Reagan
7th. Harold Stassen

West South Central

States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

1st. Barry Goldwater
2nd. Howard Baker
3rd. Ronald Reagan
4th. William Scranton
5th. Clifford Case
6th. Margaret Chase Smith
7th. Harold Stassen

West North Central

States: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

1st. Clifford Case
2nd. Margaret Chase Smith
3rd. William Scranton
4th. Howard Baker
5th. Barry Goldwater
6th. Ronald Reagan
7th. Harold Stassen

Mountain

States: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

1st. Barry Goldwater
2nd. Howard Baker
3rd. Ronald Reagan
4th. Margaret Chase Smith
5th. Clifford Case
6th. William Scranton
7th. Harold Stassen

Pacific

States: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington

1st. Ronald Reagan
2nd. Barry Goldwater
3rd. Margaret Chase Smith
4th. Clifford Case
5th. Howard Baker
6th. William Scranton
7th. Harold Stassen

Democrats:

New England

States: Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Patsy Mink
4th. Hubert Humphrey
5th. George Smathers

Mid-Atlantic

States: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. George Smathers

South Atlantic

States: Washington DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Hubert Humphrey
3rd. Patsy Mink
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. Robert F. Kennedy

East South Central

States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Hubert Humphrey
3rd. Patsy Mink
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. Robert F. Kennedy

East North Central

States: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Eugene McCarthy
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Patsy Mink
5th. George Smathers

West South Central

States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

1st. George Smathers
2nd. Hubert Humphrey
3rd. Patsy Mink
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. Robert F. Kennedy

West North Central

States: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

1st. Hubert Humphrey
2nd. Robert F. Kennedy
3rd. Eugene McCarthy
4th. George Smathers
5th. Patsy Mink

Mountain

States: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Patsy Mink
3rd. George Smathers
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. Hubert Humphrey

Pacific

States: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington

1st. Robert F. Kennedy
2nd. Patsy Mink
3rd. Hubert Humphrey
4th. Eugene McCarthy
5th. George Smathers
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 10:13:38 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Character Data

Notoriety = N, Organization = O, Finance = F

You must be logged in to read this quote.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2018, 10:03:38 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2018, 01:44:19 PM by New Tennessean Politician »

Third Republican Debate between Senators Smith, Baker, and Case, Former Senator Barry Goldwater, and Governor Scranton in at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisconsin on March 30th

Cronkite: "Welcome each and every viewer to the third Republican Presidential Debate between Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith, Tennessee Senator Howard Baker, New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case, Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, and Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in La Crosse. I'm your moderator Walter Cronkite of CBS News. We ask for all those in the Audience tonight to hold their applause and remain quiet for the Duration of their debate and respect each candidate as they answer. Now, let's start debating."

Cronkite: "And that will be the end of this debate. We again want to thank the University of  Wisconsin-La Crosse for hosting this debate. Thank you and Good Night."
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 1

1.Well unlike Mr Wallace I have moved on and evolved on certain issues and realized I made a mistake when it came to do that voice and if I were to vote on the Civil Rights Act again I would vote Yes.  As President I will treat everyone with respect. Black,white,Asian,Gay,Straight, Man,Woman to me you are all Americans and proud citizens of this great country.

I think George should stick to his day job and not focus on my campaign.

2.I think it’s disturbing and despicable what this administration is doing with these young men. Scarring them for life,Ruining their lives and making us the world’s most hated place.  There is no good reason to be in Vietnam doing stuff like this.

The great President Eisenhower warned us about this in his farewell speech that war should be a last resort and what we are having in Southeast Asia is not a last resort it’s just the Milltary Industral Complex in action and it’s sicking!

In my first 100 days I will propose a complete withdrawal of combat troops from Vietnam and make sure we don’t wage our tail in there anymore.

Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Debate Answers

"Hello Wisconsin, I'm so thankful to be here tonight. It's been an honor to be able to introduce myself to you and to receive such a warm welcome. I stand here as an answer to partisan bickering, to gridlock, and to extremism that cost this party the White House four years ago.  Voters do not want more of the same, they crave a change, as we saw in New Hampshire. I am on this stage to represent that change."

"First, thank you, I am beyond honored and inspired by my supporters across this country. Now to your question, I'm my own candidate. While I appreciate Nixon's endorsement, I do not ask people to support me because of the endorsements I have garnered, but for my record and policy positions. Richard Nixon endorsed the strongest candidate in this race, and any questions or criticisms of his trustworthiness should be directed his way, not mine."

"The fact is, countries that moved past the gold standard recovered more quickly from the Depression. As the economy continues to grow, we need to look closely into what role the government has in protecting its citizens from downturns. If the requirement for a gold reserve to back the dollar hinders this ability, then we must move forward as a country."

"The violence in Grosvenor Square should concern us all. The escalation to violence is unacceptable, regardless of one's intentions. While I believe that the right to protest is a sacred right in this country, I also believe that law and order is important to a functional society, and our government needs to step up police presence at organized protests, along with a strong foreign policy to bring a swift victory to the war, in contrast to the waffling of the Johnson administration."

"President Kennedy was a leader on the issues of civil rights, strength on the international level, and with promoting confidence at home. Robert Kennedy is a wonderful speaker who has seemingly inherited his brother's charisma. However, I believe the appeal of President Kennedy was his leadership, and that I can offer in droves, alongside the record to back up my beliefs."

"There's only one candidate in this race who is truly independent of special interests and party operatives. I know that the states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota want real solutions to the problems impacting the country, and desire true leadership to guide the way. I can promise that a Smith Presidency will be untethered to partisanship, but will instead be directly tied to what's best for America. I have proven that with bucking my party on the issues of unions, civil rights, and the New Deal, all of which benefit the Midwest."

"Tonight, we all offered a vision to the American people. Do voters wish for more of the same extremism, flip-flopping, and weakness that has infected Washington, or do they want a change to the system? I offered the latter of the two. What America needs is a leader, someone to not just end the Vietnam War, but win it, someone who can pave a new path for the Republican Party and the country as a whole, we need someone who will not back down when standing up for our interests. I offer that to the American people, leadership with a conscience."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Rolls Out TV Ad in Wisconsin, Accompanied by a Radio Ad in of the Audio in Michigan and Minnesota

Mother of WAVES

"While partisans were fighting, Margaret Chase Smith was making our navy stronger by writing legislation that allows women to serve. Margaret recognizes that our country is best when women can serve alongside men to protect our liberty."

"I was asked whether it was a woman's place to be in the Navy, I responded that a woman's place is everywhere, and if we're so concerned about the dangers of combat for women, all of our nurses should come home. That straightened everything up pretty quick."

"Margaret Chase Smith: Fighting for All of Us."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »

William Scranton Debate Answers

Opening Statements:

“First off, I would like to thank the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for agreeing to host this debate. Our nation is at a turning point and a choice needs to be made: A choice for four more years of reckless leadership, or a choice for experienced leadership. A choice for radical leadership or a choice for a moderate to take the helm. If the last election and the last four years have showed anything, it’s that the American people want a new voice. I am that moderate, experienced voice, and that is why I am the best candidate for President.”

Governor, you are up against three standing Senators and one former Senator who was the Party's nominee last year and many say that compared to Senators, Governors don't have the experience necessary to be President. How do you deflect the accusations that you aren't experienced enough?

“The Constitution says that the President is in charge of the Executive Branch. I am the only candidate on this stage with any executive experience. This does not make me unqualified. Instead, my experience serving as Governor of Pennsylvania makes me the best candidate for President because I already have the experience in running a branch of government. My opponents, who have no executive experience, will have to learn on the job, and these are far too troubling times for a candidate to have to learn how to run a branch of government while they are doing it.”

As you know, Congress recently voted to repeal the requirement for a gold reserve to back the US Currency. What is your reaction to such a vote and how would you handle the Economy and the US Currency due to the situation that is likely to follow?

“The United States’ gold reserves have been steadily depleting for years now while other countries have been able to increase their gold reserves. This is a necessary move to help the U.S. economy compete with other nations around the world.  As President, I will do what is necessary to ensure that the United States economy is a strong and prosperous one.”

As you know, the protest in Grosvenor Square ended hooribly with 91 injured and 200 arrested. What is the reaction of this from each of you and do you think the situation should've been handled better? and how?

“I am disturbed by the actions of both sides of the protest. Peaceful protest is one of the most fundamental rights in a democracy. But the blame cannot be placed on only one side. The protestors should have remained peaceful throughout, not succumbing to violence and the police should not have responded the way they did. The violence we saw there is something that would be found in the Soviet Union, or in Mao’s China, not in a democracy and especially not in a trusted ally such as Britain. I urge that all protests remain peaceful in the future, and I urge authorities all over the world to not respond to protests with such brutal measures.”

As you can see, New York Senator Robert Kennedy is currently leading the Democratic Field and he has the same following that his late Brother had in his Presidency, even being able to increase the chances of a Democratic Victory of November thus far despite President Johnson having a low approval rating. How will you deal with Kennedy's apparent cult of personality?

“While Senator Kennedy certainly has a strong base of support, that support is based solely on who he is and what his name is. His support isn’t because of any policy positions or ideas on how to improve America. At the end of the day, he will give America the same old Democratic ideas that are responsible for the problems facing our nation in the first place. I am the candidate with the ideas to help America right its course, and I am the candidate who will ensure that America remains a strong and respected nation around the world while also looking out for our own citizens.”

In a few days, this state, the state of Wisconsin, will hold its primary for the Republican Party, as well as the Caucuses from Minnesota and Michigan. Seeing as this is your last real chance to appeal to the citizens of all three states, state your case as to why these states and their delegates should go to you.

“My home state of Pennsylvania is very similar to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. Pennsylvania is home to many working class families, families much like the ones in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. Pennsylvania is home to many factories and manufacturing businesses, much like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. To the people of Wisconsin,  Minnesota, and Michigan, I say this: When I was governor, I heard from many people about the struggles they faced, struggles that many of you may be facing right now. I heard from business leaders ideas on how to improve Pennsylvania’s economy, ideas you may want to see. I heard from workers on how I could help their jobs, jobs that you want to have. I have heard from unions who want to improve the workspace, workspaces you want improved Your states are full of working class families trying to make a living, full of businesses who want to employ workers and help improve your economies, and full of unions helping the working man. When I was governor, I listened to those people and made sure those people were heard. To the people of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, I will listen to you, and I will make sure that you are heard under a Scranton administration.”

Closing Statements:

"Once again, I would like to thank the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for hosting us tonight, and I would like to thank Walter Cronkite for moderating. To the people of Wisconsin, on April 2, you will have a choice to make and the choice is clear: If you want a candidate who has the experience necessary to be President, a candidate who has stood up for the working class, a candidate who will make sure you are heard, then I ask for your support. Thank you.”
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2018, 07:15:10 AM »

Goldwater debate answers 2

3:Well one of my main economic issues is to save the Gold Standard and make it a better system.

I don’t think we should depend just on the US Dollar we need to add some competition to it and make sure that in case of a emergency that we have a good substitute to help out the economy and make sure that we don’t have a repeat of 1929.

Also a gold standard would restore rising living standards to the middle-class , It also would be a powerful force for restoring fiscal balance to federal state and local governments.

It will be perfect to make the world economy better and more secure.

Now is it perfect? no but it doesn’t have to be and that’s why I will fix it early on in my first 100 days that I will sign orders to protect and improve the US Gold Standard.   I have been doing it in Congress and will resume to do so as President.

4:Well I was shocked and stunned to hear what happened in Groversons square.  I don’t believe in violent protesters like that.  I don’t believe violent protests are the answer. While you may have a good message you don’t seem have the actions to peacefully protest it you know?  Well I believe you have every right to protest it’s all part of our first amendment. However it’s getting out of hand don’t you think when people start getting hurt and hospital keep getting phone calls about if they need extra beefs for the night then it becomes a problem you know?

I think we should do a better job in showing the world that this isn’t some Nanny state like what our enemies  want you to think.

We founded this nation to express and prevent our rights to peacefully protest and we should use those rights in situations like this

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2018, 08:45:06 AM »

What Goldwater did part 1

Goldwater campaigned to get on the midwestern ballots and campaigned on him being the “working man candidate”

In Michigan and Pennsylvania he campaigned on saving the Free Market and saving and reforming the Gold Standard and said that removing it would be a big mistake and that we could save and fund Social Security for years with it.

Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Rolls Out Endorsements

Harold LeVander Holds Rally in St. Paul, Minnesota

"Usually, I would be apprehensive to wade into Presidential politics, as it takes away focus from governing this great state. However, upon seeing the events in Grosvenor Square, I can not sit idly by without weighing in. The conversation of whether law and order or free speech is more important has seemingly taken over, with only one candidate proposing that we can, and should, have both. Margaret Chase Smith has advocated for free speech, even when the party was caught up with McCarthyism, but has also championed rule of law to protect those of us who just want to be able to go to school or work in peace. We need a calm, even force in office right now, and there's only one woman for that job."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Runs TV Ad “Experience” in Wisconsin and Illinois

“Margaret Chase Smith has served her home state since 1940, she is a member of the Senate Armed Service Committee, and has led the way for the caucus as Chair of the Senate Republican Caucus.”

“Margaret has never been afraid to make tough calls to protect us, leading some adversaries to throw insults to try to keep spineless foreign policy that they love. But, Margaret will stand firm in her commitment for our safety.”

“At this point in our nation’s history, we need a president with foreign policy experience, not just someone who can sign bills into law. Margaret Chase Smith has the experience to keep America safe and strong.”
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »

What Goldwater did part 2

Goldwater campaigned on fighting for the working man again and being a outsider and how he is the best anti establishment Republican candidate.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-March 13 to April 2

March 13: Rallies in Lansing, Michigan, and Green Bay, Wisconsin

March 14-17: Barnstorming and fundraising in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota

March 18: Rally in Des Moines, Iowa, where the endorsement of Senator Bourke B. Hickenlooper of Iowa is announced

Excerpt from Hickenlooper's speech: "William Scranton is the type of leader this country needs. A man who will look out for the working man, a man who can fix the economy, and a man who will look out for our interests overseas. He has my complete support for President!"

March 19-23: Barnstorming and fundraising in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio with Senators Percy, Griffin, and Hickenlooper

March 23: Rallies in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Allentown, Pennsylvania with Senator Scott

March 24-25: Debate prep

March 25-26: Barnstorming and fundraising in New York and Connecticut with Senator Bush

March 27: Rally in Springfield, Massachusetts, where the endorsement of Former Senator Leverett Saltonstall of Massachusetts in announced

Excerpt from Saltonstall's speech: "With the chaos in our nation, we need a strong leader to guide our nation through these troubling times and back to stability. There is only one candidate who can do that, and so William Scranton has my full and complete support!"

March 27-28: Barnstorming in Massachusetts with Senator Saltonstall and Governor Volpe

March 29: Debate prep

March 30: Debate

March 31-April 2: Barnstorming and fundraising in Michigan and Wisconsin
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #140 on: October 20, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »

"If I may also add something in response to Governor Scranton's answer I find it to be reckless and irresponsible to suddenly compare one of our most trusted allies on the international front as the Soviet Union or Mao. Such a comparison truly should be concerning as to how Scranton would engage in foreign policy if he is willing to create such disgusting comparisons of Britain who we have worked alongside with for decades. We do not need a President who is impulsive with issues relating to foreign affairs. We need a President who will approach these issues with care and that's exactly what I will offer in comparison."

"Senator, a good leader must be willing to not only call out our enemies, but a good leader must also call out our friends when they are wrong. We have condemned our friends before. I saw the citizens and police of Britain doing nothing more than endangering the right to free protest, and I felt it necessary to condemn the violence, and while approaching issues is care is good sentiment, leaders have to be ready to make split-second decisions where taking care won't help. Are you ready to have to make a split-second decision?

Additionally, if you cannot condemn our ally when their citizens threaten fundamental rights, how can we trust you to condemn the Soviet Union or Mao's China when they threaten fundamental rights? How can we trust you to stand up to the Soviet Union and China at all?"
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »

William Scranton Radio Ad #2

Running in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania

Narrator: The working class is the backbone of America. They're the economic strength of America, working every day to do their part. As Governor, William Scranton proved to be a leader who supported the working class. He will continue to do so as President of the United States. Vote for William Scranton."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: October 20, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Campaign Schedule

Week One: Margaret Chase Smith began the week by touring college campuses in Wisconsin, talking about the Vietnam War protests that have struck fear into suburban communities. When rallying at the campuses, she spoke on the need for a tough foreign policy alongside an expansion of education funding and civil rights domestically. MCS touted her opposition to the party line on labor issues while in Wisconsin, once again laying out the argument that she will be an independent voice for the average American. At the end of the week, she joined Governor Harold LeVander for a surprise joint rally in St. Paul, Minnesota, where he announced his unflinching support of MCS. While in Minnesota, the campaign focused on small events focused on women's groups and labor.

Week Two: Margaret Chase Smith held a rally in Chicago, Illinois focusing on her title as "Mother of WAVES," and her support of both the navy and women's representation. After the rally, the campaign toured suburban Chicago, touting the Senator's independent record and consistent knack for foreign policy. The campaign swung back to Wisconsin with a rally in Kenosha, where Smith spoke on the need for a revival of the Republican Party to one of Roosevelt and Lincoln, with a renewed push for civil rights and "carrying a big stick." The campaign spent the remainder of the week rallying voters throughout Wisconsin, with events in Milwaukee, Sheboygan, and Green Bay. MCS honed in on her moderate message, quipping that "Wisconsin has moved past the days of McCarthy, and will not be fooled again by extremists in moderate's clothing."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2018, 04:56:57 AM by GoTfan »

Kennedy '68

March 13-18: Kennedy campaigned heavily in Wisconsin on labor rights. He called for Taft-Hartley to be repealed and for unions in the nation to be fully empowered once more. he alos held multiple town halls focusing on healthcare  and civil rights policy. once again, Kennedy advocated for a universal healthcare plan, and strneghtened civil rights legislation. He also made visits to sveral impoverished neighbourhoods to rally their support and call for a national jobs program to get people into the workforce, as well as calling for an end the war in Vietnam so the nation can progress forward. Again, he made efforts to appear with his wife Ethel and his 8 children.

March 18-25: Kennedy took these days to meet with Democratic Party leaders in Michigan and Minnesota these days, in particular pointing out that the Republican debate had credited him with raising the chances of a Democratic victory in November, and using that to convince them that he is the best general election candidate. Apart from this he also discussed numerous liberal legislative items his administration would champion, such as healthcare and labor law reform.

March 26-29: Kennedy campaigned in pennsylvania, once again on labor laws and civil rights legislation, as well as ending the war. In a rally in Philadelphia, Kennedy slammed the violence in Grosvenor Square: "Some protestors may have been violating the law, but the fact that 91 people were injuered and 200 protestors were arrested for exercising their democratic rights? We only believe in freedom of speech, assembly and communication when we believe in it for those we disagree with, and what Grosvenor Square proved is that some people are not willing to live up to the ideals they espouse.

March 30-31: Kennedy conducted a series of TV interviews, including a particularly fiery one about Mike Mansfield's independent campaign. Kennedy remarked: "It's not a good look for the Senate Majority Leader to be opposing his own party's candidates for President. he is intentionally sabotaging all the candidates in the field and he knows this. He's scared that a new Demoratic Prisdent will bring change to the White House. A lot of us-Patsy, Eugene and myself-all plan to do that. That's why he doesn't want us to win.

April 1-2: Kennedy travelled to California, continuing to hit the notes about civil rights, labor laws and ending the war in Vietnam. He also made several visits to poor neighbourhoods to continue pushing for a national jobs program, as well as saying that his administration would push for the Equal Rights Amendment. He also held a town hall in San Francsico with Senator Birch Bayh.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2018, 11:21:36 AM »

What Goldwater did part 3

Goldwater campaigned on civil rights and reforming reforming the Federal Reserve.  He also came out his tax plan and his plan to save the Gold Standard
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

Kennedy will attempt to register for all remaining ballots.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 08:29:36 AM by New Tennessean Politician »

Will Add in the Coverage Lazy, I've just had a rough time recently.

Goldwater wins Wisconsin Primary (gets 37 Delegates)
Senator Case wins Michigan Caucuses (gets 38 Delegates)
Senator Smith wins Minnesota Caucuses (gets 15 Delegates)

Senator Kennedy wins Wisconsin Primary, Minnesota and Michigan Caucuses (gets 180 Delegates)

Republicans:

Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 43 Delegates
Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 37 Delegates
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 34 Delegates
Fomer Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania - 16 Delegates
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 12 Delegates
667 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
1333 Delegates in Total

Democrats:

Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 243 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 19 Delegates
Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota - 9 Delegates
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota - 5 Delegates
1304 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
2607 Delegates in Total

(you can post victory speeches, I'll leave the thread for speeches for a week and then continue to post
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »

Kennedy victory speech

Thank you to all of my supporters who jve endeavoured to make sure that we get this far in. This country wants and end to the war, this country wants universal healthcare, this country wants civil rights, this country wants a fair chance for all! I thank all my supporters who came out to vote tonight, and I say the same for all who voted in tonight's contests.

We are going to take this momentum to the convention, and ride it all the way to the White House!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2018, 10:12:50 PM »

C. Douglas Dillon's announcement speech in Boston, Massachusetts

Hello, my fellow Americans. This is a time of deep division in this great country. Racial injustices, high poverty and a war in Vietnam dividing our citizens.

We need someone with the experience to fix America and I believe I am that kind of leader. I was Secretary of Treasury under President Kennedy and it was under my watch as Secretary of Treasury that President Kennedy cut taxes, which brought positive results for the economy and encouraged stronger job creation and stronger GDP. That's why I will fight to keep taxes low for the sake of the promotion of free enterprise for a stronger economy. Due to my career as U.S. Ambassador to France and as U.S. Under Secretary of State, I have the necessary foreign policy experience to keep our country safe and to win the Vietnam War for the sake of the defense of freedom, democracy and justice. And I will fight to promote civil rights for all Americans and that's why I'm running for President.

Thank you. God bless you and God bless America.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »

Goldwater victory remarks in Wisconsin
Thank you!!
The people here in Wisconsin decided to give me and our campaign another chance!

They decided they wanted Liberty and individualism, They wanted a chance for free markets and limited government!!

And most important they wanted a chance for a Golden Amercia!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies