Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29190 times)
ASPN
Dr_Novella

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »

Ross Barnett Campaign Schedule

Aug 31st: Ross Launches his Campaign in Jackson, Mississippi

Folks, we are at an impasse in America. Our way of life is being threatened by the politicians in D.C and no one seems interested in standing up for you. That's why me and Senator Russell are here to tell you that we have had enough! The two major parties have abandoned the people of the south, so if we want to preserve ourselves, we need to stand up and show these Yanks running that we won't tolerate a candidate who sees us more as a burden than the proud Americans that you all are!

Sept 2nd: Barnett speaks at Johnson & Wales Business School in Charlotte, North Carolina

Once again, Mr. Dillon has showed his lack of understanding when it comes to Foreign Policy. I'm telling you folks, this guy is gonna start World War 3 if we let him. Let me say though, I get it, I get it. Those Russians in Moscow, they're bad folks, devils all of them. But we have American boys right now fighting in Vietnam. So All I have to say to Dillon, instead of picking another fight in Europe, lets deal with the fight we already have going on!

Sept 3rd-5th:
Barnett spends the next few days touring the North Carolina coast, speaking at Country clubs, and focusing his speeches on the betrayal of the Northern Democrats, and the need to force them to the table.

Sept. 6th: Barnett interview with David Brinkley.

Brinkley: Governor Barnett, your campaign serves as a challenge to Senator Kennedy, a fellow Democrat. Can you justify this splitting of the party?

Barnet: If I may, if your gonna call this a party split, it is important to remember that they were the ones who started it. When Johnson signed the Civil Rights act in 64, it was a slap to the face of loyal democrats from the south. We made this party, we are the heart of this party. It's people like Kennedy who caused this rift. All I'm trying to do is provide a voice for those left behind.

Brinkley: But he did win the nomination, the party, besides your contingent, largely stands with him.

Barnett: That's because he's a Kennedy. The Senator is no different from any other East Coast elite. They go to their fancy elite schools, and suddenly they think they know better than you. Difference is, he has that Kennedy name. Without that, he isn't a Senator, and he isn't the nominee. His entire campaign is linked to his brother's legacy, and he's banking that, come November, voters will go to the booth, see that last name, ad that'll be all they need.

Brinkley: Well, that's all the time we have today, thank you for taking the time to talk today.

Barnett: Thanks for having me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »

Kennedy/Connally '68

Schedule for August 30-September 6

August 30-September 1: Kennedy campaigned in Illinois and Arizona with Former Governor Brown and Senator Carl Hayden. During this, Kennedy unveiled plans for the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (which would do business as Amtrak), a quasi-public service to operate the railroads in the United States. When asked for specifics, Kennedy gave the following:

"Amtrak is as public organisation that would be managed as a for-profit organisation. However, it will only operate intercity trains. All other services will be operated by private companies and local governments who will be free to do as they have been doing.

A plan like this allows our train services to remain robust and ready for the next decade as we move into a more interconnected world.

September 2-4: Kennedy swung through Illinois and Texas these days, appearing with Governor Connally at a rally in Houston, where he blasted Dillon for his recent foreign policy gaffes.

"It does not come as any real surprise to me. The Secretary has always been a diehard hawk. However, we cannot allow a man with such a naive 'might makes right' policy to set one foot in the White House!

By no stretch of the imagination does the Soviet Union act in the interests of the world. But there is a world of difference between acknowledging the threat and being patient and diplomatic, and go screaming for World War 3 on the campaign trail.

We all heard Senator Inouye at the convention. War is not something that mankind should have to experience, so let's focus on bringing our boys home from Vietnam instead of trying to trigger a nuclear war with Moscow!

September 5: Kennedy campaigned in Indiana with Birch Bayh, once again campaigning on education expansion and healthcare for all. He headed over into Ohio for the latter part of the day, meeting with local teachers to expand on his education policy.

September 6: Kennedy spent the day resting and preparing for the debate before attending it that evening.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »

First Presidential Debate between Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts and New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy on September 6th at the North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota

Cronkite : "Greetings everyone and welcome to the first of Five Presidential Debates. I'm your host Walter Cronkite of CBS News and the participants tonight will be Democratic Nominee Robert F. Kennedy of New York and Republican Nominee C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts. There will be four questions on the topic of Vietnam. Two general questions and one personal question for each candidate. Now, let's begin."

To All Candidates : "The war has recently become unpopular amongst many youths in America. Why do you think this is the case and do you believe or not believe that this dissatisfaction is justified?"

To All Candidates : "If the North Vietnamese were to offer President Johnson peace, what would be the terms that you would request of the President before you are satisfied with all those lost in this war?"

To Senator Kennedy : "Senator, many are curious about you. Many believe that you didn't start opposing the war until Senator McCarthy did and others are calling you weak-willed, stating you will drop and leave everything, making the war and all those who died in it, in vain. How do you respond to these attacks and how would you handle the war?"

To Secretary Dillion : "Secretary, many are curious about your plans for war and most have agreed that you plan for continual war in the region with no real plan to end it. Some suggest attempting an offensive into the North and forcing them to surrender and others are suggesting to begin negotiations as soon as you enter office. Secretary Dillion, which advice will you take and how do you handle the idea of being considered a hawk for a nation that has little, if no interest, in wars on distant shores?"

Cronkite : "That will be the end of this Debate. We all hope you tune in for the First Vice Presidential Debate on September 10th that will focus on Experience/Ability to handle the job of being President at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio. Until then, I'm Walter Cronkite, signing off."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »

Kennedy at the debate

1)What do you want me to say? There is a marked cynicism amon the youth of this country. They believe that they're all going to be drafted to serve in a war that has no end in sight. Why should they be remaining hopeful when this war carries on for so long?

This can be resolved by ending the war in Vietnam and increasing investment in our youth by providing universal community college and establishing a Presidential Scholarship Fund for the highest achievers. We must revive idealsim and optimism within our youth. They are the ones who will inherit the Earth when we are gone, We have to leave the world in a better shape than we found it in.

2)I opposed this war for a long time. Jack and i wanted to pull out before he was murdered. Instead, we escalated the war which was a huge mistake. I have always believed in diplomacy first.

Will I just cut and run from Vietnam? No. We need to end the bombing of North Vietnam and come to the negotiating table. In the meantime, we need to ensure that our troops are only being put at risk when there is no other option.

We have an obligation to end the war peacefully and diplomatically. No matter how long it takes, we must look to organise a satisfacotry agreement for both sides.

So will just leave Vietnam to its own devices? Not without a good agreement that both sides have agreed to in place, and creating one will be the priority of my first 100 days.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 10:53:40 AM by UWS »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule

August 30
-Campaigning in Virginia Beach, Virginia, C. Douglas Dillon responds to Robert F. Kennedy's attacks on his foreign policy agenda :

Senator Kennedy is calling my foreign policy agenda dangerous. Let me tell you what is dangerous in foreign policy : inaction and disengagement. That is exactly what Senator Kennedy demonstrated in the last few weeks : after our Ambassador to Guatemala John Gordon Mein has been assassinated by communist guerilleros in the context of the Guatemalean Civil War, what was Senator Kennedy's reaction to it? Absolutely nothing. He remained silent about this tragedy. He did not even mention these disastrous and deadly events. He proposed nothing to prevent such events. Meanwhile, immediately after these attacks, I unveiled a plan to ensure embassy security and the success of our diplomatic missions around the world which is to increase the embassy security budget so our men and women serving our country overseas will have all the necessary equipment, arsenal and effectives to protect their lives and to defend U.S. embassies around the world. Being Commander-in-Chief also means taking decisions immediately after facing a national security or geopolitical crisis. That's exactly what I did because the success and security of our diplomatic missions are one of the most important keys to spreading peace, freedom and security around the world.

August 31
-Dillon campaigns in Cincinnati, Ohio where he warns voters about Senator Kennedy's liberal big government agenda that would raise taxes and regulations on the American people and on businesses, which will kill jobs, reduce the people's purchasing power and make America a harder place to do business. He takes on the occasion to hughlight his running mate George Romney's business experience as well as Dillon's experience as Secretary of Treasury during which he architected the Kennedy tax cuts that encouraged job creation and increased wages for American workers, ensured an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, brought the inflation down to 1 %, reduced the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, allowed a rise of industrial production by 15 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. He asked the people of Ohio's vote for the sake of economic prosperity and opportunity for all through small government and tax reform.

September 1
-In an effort to attract African-American voters, Dillon campaigns in Atlanta, Georgia, where he blasts Ross Barnett on his segregationism :

Ross Barnett is a segragationist who is disconnected from the concerns of the American people and has contempt for the first amendment of the Constitution of the United States that defends the right to peacebly protest and to peacebly assemble no matter your color or your origins. And yet, Governor Barnett arranged for the arrest of Freedom Riders in 1961 and then imprisoned them at Parchman Farm where they were strip-searched, had beds taken away, and were humiliated and brutalized in the prison. Barnett also opposed James Meredith's efforts to desegregate the University of Mississippi and in 1963 he tried to prevent the men's basketball team of Mississippi State University from playing an NCAA Tournament game against the racially integrated team from Loyola of Chicago. Governor Barnett can't be trusted to defend the freedom of the American people. He is disqualified from leading this country.

But unlike Governor Barnett, I'm campaigning on behalf of American values because I'm running to be President for all Americans regardless of their color, their origins, their religious beliefs or their political philosophy. When I'm President, I will defend and fight for the spreading of civil rights for all of our citizens for the sake of the freedom, strength and prosperity of our nation. And that's why I'm asking for your vote.

September 2-3

-In an effort to increase the Republican Party's chances to take the Senate on November, Dillon campaigns for Edward Gurney in Tampa, Florida where he praises Gurney's fiscal conservatism and his military service, which he describes as qualification showing his knowledge of what it takes to get America to prosperity, freedom and security and calls on the people of Florida to vote for Gurney. The following day, Dillon campaigns for Illinois Senator and Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen in Joliet, Illinois, where he praised his record on Civil Rights as Dirksen helped break the Southern filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which Dillon describes as a great reason why Dirksen deserves the support of the people of Illinois for the sake of the advancement of freedom.

September 4-5

-Debate practices with Governor Ronald Reagan

September 6
-Dillon debates with Senator Robert Francis Kennedy at the North Hennepin Community College in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #330 on: March 19, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 10:34:33 AM by UWS »

Dillon's debate answers

1. We understand the concerns and dissatisfactions of the people of America, including our youth. Just like them, we want to end this conflict, but we also need to do it with victory, honor and dignity, we owe it to those who have gone to make sure that they did not go in vain. And we need to make sure that future sons and daughters of America don't have to go back and do it over. Because if North Vietnam wins that war, they will make Asia a base to attack America and threat our way of life and our freedom, so we need to prevent it which means taking the advantage  over North Vietnam on the military, diplomatic and political levels.

2. Here are my conditions for peace in Vietnam : that the South Vietnamese troops are fully trained by American troops and our allies so they will have full readiness to defend their country if North Vietnam ever decides to invade the South. And for the same reason, we need to provide South Vietnam all the necessary powerful American military arsenal they need to defend itself. The second condition would be to normalize our relations with China get help in resolving the Vietnam War. By dealing with Russia and with China, we will put pressure on Hanoi to negotiate seriously, get Russia and China to slow down the provision of aid to North Vietnam and persuade Moscow and Beijing to to encourage Hanoi to make a deal with the United States and give Hanoi a sense of isolation because their two, big patrons will be dealing with us. That's how we will be able to maintain peace and stability in Vietnam and stop the spreading of communism in the Asian continent.

3. First of all, here are the facts about Senator Kennedy's stance on Vietnam. The JFK administration had backed U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia and while Senator Kennedy vigorously supported his brother's earlier efforts, he never publicly advocated commitment of ground troops. Though bothered by the beginning of the bombing of North Vietnam in February 1965, Kennedy did not wish to appear antipathetic to President Johnson's agenda. So you are right, Walter, that Senator Kennedy did not oppose the Vietnam War until Eugene McCarthy did, which explained his major progress in the beginning of the Democratic primaries. My opponent ran away with the primaries based on an anti-war vote record, so he decided to vote against the troops and oppose the Vietnam War. Now if Senator Kennedy couldn't stand up to the pressures that Eugene McCarthy represented, how can we expect him to stand up to North Vietnam, to the Soviet Union?

Now let's go back to your question, Walter, the people can call me whichever name but I am a man of conviction and I would rather lose an election than seeing our country losing a war. Here is my plan to win the Vietnam War while minimizing American casualties : getting India involved militarily in Vietnam in our sides. India too knows the consequences of a communist takeover in Vietnam, including the Asian continent becoming a communist stronghold and this threat could also reach India. And we saw it with the Sino-Indian War in 1962 when Communist China invaded and annexed the Indian territories of Askai Chin and Arunachal Pradesh. After all, the loss of New France to the British Empire is one of the main factors that convinced France to enter the American Revolutionary War in support to our Founding Fathers and the American Revolution in our quest of freedom and independance. So with India joining us in Vietnam, we will be able to counter China's military power in Vietnam and to overpower the Vietcongs and thus we will be able to defeat them all over North Vietnam, leading us to victory in Vietnam, stopping the expansion of communism in Asia and keeping America safe. That way, our troops will not have fought or died in vain, they will lead us to victory and hand us the upper hand against the Soviet Union.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #331 on: March 19, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »

Turn XVII
September 7th-10th

First Vice Presidential Debate on September 10th/First Presidential Debate called a Tie

In a surprise, the First Presidential Debate between Senator Kennedy and Former Secretary Dillion has been considered a tie by most viewers and listeners, with no one giving a clear edge to the victor. The First Vice Presidential will be held on September 10th at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Missouri between Governor Romney and Governor Connally on Experience/Ability to handle the job of being President.

LBJ Approval Rating remains the same until the end of September

Barnett/Russell v Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Kennedy/Connally : 46 %
Dillion/Romney : 31 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 14 %
Barnett/Russell : 6 %
Undecided : 3 %

Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Kennedy/Connally : 40 %
Dillion/Romney : 34 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 20 %
Undecided : 6 %

Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally

Kennedy/Connally : 49 %
Dillion/Romney : 42 %
Undecided : 9 %

Modeator's Notes : Same rules as all the other turns, this turn ends on Sunday, March 24th. Vice Presidential Debate will be added soon. If anyone wants individual state polls, notify me.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »

Kennedy/Connally '68

Schedule for September 7-10

September 7: Kennedy headed to Tennesee, joined by his newest supporter, Senator Albert Gore Sr. Gore emphasised Kennedy's infrastructure plans and his detailed plan to end the Vietnam War, while also blasting Dillon's plan to end Vietnam by involving Indian forces.

Yet again, Mr Dillon shows he knows nothing about foreign policy. What the hell do we gain from expanding the war further other than moving us closer to a war we can't even contemplate? This man knows nothing of foreign policy, and frankly, to have him so close to the White House frightens me greatly.

September 8: Kennedy travelled hom to New York, and held a surprise rally with his newest supporter, two-time Republican Presidential nominee and former New York governor Thomas E Dewey. Dewey, a staunch Republican for many years, expressed his alarm at Dillon's warmongering policies, and his belief that voting for Rockefeller would be wasted when a man as dangerous as Dillon is so close to the Presidency.

"I've been a Republican my whole life. Three times I ran for president as a Republican. I served as Governor of new York for eleven years as a Republican. I helped Richard Nixon be selected as our Vice Presidential candidate in 1952. I've voted straight Republican every year i can.

I faced down mobsters in the courtroom and put them behind bars. I don't get easily rattled, but Secretary Dillon . . . what he has been saying frightens me. Expanding the war in Vietnam further will incite the wrath of China. He wants to persuade Moscow and Beijing to put pressure on Hanoi to negotiate, yet does not present a plan for doing so.

He frightens me. I encourage, for the sake of peace and stability, that you vote for Senator Kennedy this November."

September 9-10: Kennedy campaigned in Illinois with McCarthy and Bayh these two days, while continuously hammering Dillon on foreign policy. Kennedy also continued to spruik his Amtrak policy, saying that it would be the way the nation would be connected in the future; and that it would only manage intercity trains, with other services being run as seen fit by state and local governments.

He was also joined for a rally in Illinois with former President Truman.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 10:15:53 AM by UWS »

Dillon's campaign schedule

September 7

-Dillon campaigns in Chattanooga, Tennesee where he responds to Kennedy's attacks against him on foreign policy :

Senator Kennedy claims that I know nothing in foreign policy. Let me tell you this : this is total malarkey. This is just not true. This attitude by Senator Kennedy just shows how frustrated he is not to have made so excellent debate performance during the debate about foreign policy.

Let me remind you, Senator that I served our country as U.S. Ambassador to France for 4 years and that I've been Vice Chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations before entering politics. And I also served as Under Secretary of State in the Eisenhower Administration for 2 years. I'm an expert on foreign policy issues.

Meanwhile, you still have failed to mention the assassination of our ambassador in Guatemala and you have proposed nothing to make sure that such tragedy will never happen again. But I did and what I will do will be to increase embassy security budget so our men and women serving our country diplomatically abroad can have all the necessary weapons and equipment to defend our embassies around the world. And by combining our forces with India's in the Vietnam War after they lost territory to China (that is supporting North Vietnam), we will definitely take the advantage over North Vietnam.

So don't question my knowledge in foreign policy. This is about as low a blow as you can give in a presidential campaign.

September 8
-Secretary Dillon campaigns for Republican New York Senator Jacob Javitts in New York City, New York where he speaks on behalf of Dillon and blasts Kennedy on his attitude :

The reason why the Kennedy campaign keeps trying to attack Dillon on his foreign policy experience is because they want to obscure Kennedy's own record. And Senator, frankly you have a record in the Senate that is not very distinguished. You missed between 60 % and 70 % of the Senate's votes throughout 1967 and 1968. You now got one of the worst attendance records in the United States Senate. So Senator Kennedy missed several occasions to take a position on issues such as tax reform, foreign policy, Medicare, etc.

Meanwhile, unlike Kennedy, I'm showing up for work and that's why the people of New York has strong trust in me. So, unlike Kennedy, Clarence Douglas Dillon will fight to make sure that the people will not feel betrayed by the establishment. He will make sure that all Americans, including New Yorkers, will have a champion fighting for them and for their interests every single day. He will be President for all Americans, he has all the necessary experience to grow this economy, he has all the required foreign policy experience to keep us safe and bring us to victory in Vietnam and in the Cold War. And by accepting George Romney as his running mate, he has proven his determination to defend the Civil Rights cause and to grant civil rights for all Americans, including Americans of color.

That's why, I'm asking for you to bring me back to the senate for another six-year term to make sure we will have the mandate to pass Dillon's agenda and that's why C. Douglas Dillon is asking for your vote.

September 9
-Dillon campaigns in California with fmr President Dwight D. Eisenhower on issues such as immigration, civil rights, tax reform, the size of government, Medicare and the Space Race. Dillon also took on the occasion to campaign for Republican senate candidate Max Rafferty.

September 10
-Dillon campaigns on Wisconsin and Michigan on free trade, economic issues, tax reform and civil rights along with his running mate George Romney. Later in the day, he watches the VP debate between Romney and Connally.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »

The Secretary might do less harm to his cause he doesn't attribute Senator Gore's and Governor Dewey's  quotes to me. That said, I find myself in complete agreement with both of them.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »

First Vice Presidential Debate between Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts and New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy on September 10th at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio

Cronkite : "Greetings everyone and welcome to the first of three Vice Presidential Debates. I'm your host Walter Cronkite of CBS News and the participants tonight will be Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee John Connally of Texas and Republican Vice Presidential Nominee George Romney of Michigan. There will be Three questions on the topic of Experience/Ability to handle the job. One general question and one personal question for each candidate. Now, let's begin."

To All Candidates : "Governors, many are wondering about the worst possible outcome. If the President, currently the head of your tickets, were to die, be assassinated, or resign from scandal, what makes you believe you both are experienced enough and ready for the job?"

To Governor Connally : "Governor, you've been Governor of Texas since 1963 and you have been a relatively popular one at that, however, many Democrats are saying that you being from Texas makes you too friendly to the Dixiecrats. If you were to become President of the Senate and the Dixiecrats were offering their ideas right to you, would you reject them or push them through in support?"

To Governor Romney : "Governor, you were not Former Secretary Dillion's first choice of a running mate and many are wondering if you are indeed a good choice for Vice President. Can you please state your loyalty to the Dillion Ticket and how you are ready to be Vice President?"

Cronkite : "That will be the end of this Debate. We all hope you tune in for the 2nd Presidential Debate at Harper College in Palatine, Illinois on September 19th with the focus being on the Economy. Until then, I'm Walter Cronkite, signing off."
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2019, 03:09:08 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2019, 03:15:02 PM by UWS »

Governor Romney's debate answers

1. Thank you Walker. Well, if anything were to happen to Clarence Douglas Dillon, I'm fully prepared to assume the responsibilities to lead this country just like I'm fully prepared to assume the responsibilities of Vice-President and help Douglas to pass his agenda. When our country entered World War II, I helped start the Automotive Committee for Air Defense, which coordinated planning between the automobile and aircraft industries and I helped to turn that committee into the Automotive Council for War Production that established a cooperative arrangement in which companies could share machine tools and production improvements, thus maximizing the industry's contribution to the war production effort. So I know what it takes to keep America safe just like C. Douglas Dillon does and that requires keeping our military strong and modernizing it and building strong alliances and keeping American leadership strong and that is how we are going to win the Cold War.

I served in the private sector for 30 years and I've been successful, creating jobs and encouraging competition. When I took the direction of American Motors Corporation, I knew that the only way to compete with the "Big Three" (General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler) was to stake the future of AMC on a new smaller-sized car line. We also did that by following an innovative strategy: manufacturing only compact cars. Though AMC was on the verge of being taken over by corporate raider Louis Wolfson in 1957, I was able to save the day. Then sales of the Rambler finally took off, leading to unexpected financial success for AMC. It posted its first quarterly profit in three years in 1958, was the only car company to show increased sales during the recession of 1958, and moved from thirteenth to seventh place among worldwide auto manufacturers. Ramblers were frequent winners in the coast-to-coast Mobil Economy Run, an annual event on U.S. highways. Sales remained strong during 1960 and 1961 and the Rambler was America's third most popular car both years. So, unlike Robert F. Kennedy who has not created a single job in his life except his own job, me and C. Douglas Dillon know what it takes to create jobs and that requires cutting taxes and regulations for the American people and for businesses, encouraging free trade and getting America to energy independence while our Democratic opponents want to increase taxes and regulations on businesses and increase the size of government, which, in my opinion, is the wrong answer. Even President Kennedy, a Democrat, cut taxes, which brought the unemployment rate at historic low levels and made this economy prosperous. And C. Douglas Dillon played a major role in it as Secretary of the Treasury by architecting those tax cuts.

C. Douglas Dillon and I will work hard to make sure that we will get America to permanent economic prosperity for all, to equal freedom for all Americans and to victory in the Cold War.

2. Look, it's not because I wasn't his first choice that he had a negative opinion of me (laughs). But I was his second choice and right now I am clearly his first choice for Vice-President of the United States. Dillon and I have common strong values such as the defense and the advancement of the Civil Rights cause for the sake of freedom and equality for all Americans, including ethnic minorities. As Governor of Michigan,  supported the American Civil Rights Movement. I declared during my first State of the State address in January 1963, that "Michigan's most urgent human rights problem is racial discrimination—in housing, public accommodations, education, administration of justice, and employment." I helped create the state's first civil rights commission and when Martin Luther King came to Detroit in June 1963 and led the 120,000-strong Great March on Detroit, Romney designated the occasion Freedom March Day in Michigan. Then I participated at a 600-strong NAACP march protesting housing discrimination in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. And just like Dillon, I'm an unapologetic defender of capitalism and free enterprise and small government because that is the only system where people like me and people like all of you, my fellow Americans, can succeed. And that's what brings me to why I am ready to be Vice-President.

Like I said earlier, I know what it takes to create jobs because I spent my life in the private sector and I know that making America the best place in the world to start a business is the only way we can create jobs and get our country to full employment. The American people is divided, but the American people can trust our leadership in defending and supporting Civil Rights. The American people is tired of broken promises and C. Douglas Dillon and I are ready to change Washington to make sure that America will keep moving forward for the sake of our prosperity, our freedom and our strength and to make sure that America's greatness has no limits. Thank you.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:21 PM »

John Connally debate answers

"First of all, thank you for moderating this debate tonight Walter, and thank you to Governor Romney for being here tonight as well. Before westart, I just say this: regardless of what you think this year, get out and vote your conscience. Vote for your beliefs. Don't vote for something you don't believe in.

1) "Well, we have more experience than most down in Texas with something like this. I was wounded in the assassination of John F Kennedy 5 years ago. Quite badly. What made president Johnson ready to take over? It's the fact that he had a proven record from his time in the Senate and the will to get the job done.

Should something deeply unfortunate and horrendous happen to Bobby, I am well-prepared to assume the responsibilities of the presidency. During my time in the Navy during the Second World War, I was on the staff that planned Operation Torch. I directed fighter planes on the USS Essex in the Pacific and won the Bronze Star. I perfomed the same duties on the USS Bennington, and won the Legion of Merit.

In my time as Secretary of the Navy, I engaed in the gentler diplomacy we need. I had the Navy deliver gifts to orphans in Italy, to a hospital in France that treated children with bone diseases; to poor children in Greece and to Turkish children in Cyprus. As Governor of Texas, I made Texas A & M University start to accept female students. I fought for coeducation in my state. Not because it would win me more votes. Not because it would put me on the national radar. I did it because it was the right thing to do. I've overseen the HemisFair '68, the official World's Fair for this year, and it's been a tremendous success.

So yes, I am more than prepared to assume the Presidency should the need arise, but I pray to God that it doesn't. 

2) I am proud of my southern heritage, denying it would do no one any favours. However, this does not mean I am willing to pander to those who defend men like George Wallace. I may have been lukewarm on civil rights in the past, but as i have though about it more, I have realised that it is the right thing to do. I'm more than ashamed of the fact it took me this long to realise that.

Let me twll you something right now, under no circumstances will I support a bill in the Senate that attempts to curtail civil rights measures. The reality is, many of us in the south support Kennedy's initiatives on education, infrastructure, healthcare and so on. If you will work with us on that, then welcome. But if you decide to impose a purity test and oppose everything we come up with based on that, then you will face the consequences.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:52 AM »

Turn XVIII

September 11th-25th

First Vice Presidential Debate a slight Romney Victory

On September 10th, Governors Romney and Connally battled one another in their first debate against one another in Ohio. With both running mates giving it their all, many believed it would be a tie like the first debate. However, it turned out to be a slight Romney victory, with data showing this as the result : 49 % Romney Won; 47 % Connally Won; 4 % Tie.

Second Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates on September 19th and 25th respectfully

On September 19th, Senator Kennedy and Secretary Dillion will meet for the second time at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia to discuss The Economy. On September 25th, The running mates will meet at Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon to discuss the Domestic Policy of their respective tickets.

Albania officially withdraws from Warsaw Pact

Following the invasion of Czechoslovakia, Albania officially withdrew from Warsaw Pact, though they hadn't been active in the pact's activities since 1962.

Tet Offensive Ends

After months and months of fighting, the Tet Offensive has ended with the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong worse then when they began.

Current GE Polls

Kennedy/Connally : 42 %
Dillion/Romney : 38 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 13 %
Barnett/Russell : 5 %
Undecided : 2 %

Same Rules as every turn, Debate will be up soon, Turn ends on Monday, April 15th
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2019, 08:44:50 AM »

Kennedy/Connally '68

Schedule for September 11-25

September 11: Kennedy and Connally travelled to Kingston, Texas. For most of the day, the Democractic ticket met with local leaders and held a town hall meeting, spruiking their education and healthcare policies, as well as their own foreign policy, by now known as detente. An evening rally in the town square was accompanied by a suprise guest: Lieutenant Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in US history.

"It's great to be back in the town I grew up in!

Look, you know me. Most of you know me as a raidor repairman or as a soldier. I want to talk about the latter today. I have been to war. I fought in the most devastating conflict in the history of mankind, and it is not something I want to experience again.

I hate war.

So not only has it been alarming to hear that the Republican nominee this year seeks to escalate our war in Vietnam, but also enter a period of brinkmanship with the Soviet Union, and he is playing with fire. A fire that could destroy all of human life. This man, Secretary Dillon . . . I can only echo Governor Dewey's statement. He frightens me. Even more than Goldwater four years ago.

Moreover, we need to start looking after our veterans, who all too often return home physically fine, but mentally wounded. Senator Kennedy has proposed a huge expansion of the Veterans' Affairs Department, and his healthcare plan ensures that all our veterans can be looked after.

That is why I'm voting for Senator Kennedy this year."

September 12-16: Kennedy headed to Illinois, Indiana and Ohio with Senator Birch Bayh. He highlighted his plan to pass the Equal Rights Amendment in a play for the female vote, and continually focused on his education plan, which would make community college tuition-free and establish a Scholarship Fund for high achievers.

Connally would travel to Florida and Georgia to siphon off votes from the segregationist ticket, campaigning on internal infrastructure and a massive NASA expansion.

September 17-21: Kennedy headed through the west with Senator Carl Hayden and former Governor Pat Brown, highlighting Hayden's reputation for bettering western infrastructure. Hayden in particular would point to Kennedy's Amtrak plan, which would provide thousands of jobs and enhance the country's rail connections.

September 22-25 RFK spent these days resting with his family in New York, the heavy campaigning of the last few weeks having taken a toll.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »

Would it be too late to join the game?
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2019, 05:33:54 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2019, 05:45:47 PM by UWS »

Dillon's campaign schedule

September 11

-Dillon campaigns in San Diego, California and gives a speech in response to the U.S. victory in the Tet Offensive :

Even though, President Johnson won Alaska last time around, we definitely can win here in Alaska. Here, the Democrats are divided between Senator Ernest Gruening and Mike Gravel and all these two candidates got is mudslinging at each other. But here, in Alaska, our electorate is united and we have a candidate with proven and proud leadership who is now running to represent Alaska in the U.S. Senate and this man is Elmer E. Rasmuson. Elmer served as Mayor of Anchorage for 3 years and was elected shortly after the 1964 Alaskan earthquake that killed hundreds of people, destroyed an important part of Anchorage. So, when he became Mayor, Rasmuson focused an important part of his leadership to reconstruct Anchorage. It was also under his watch as Mayor that Atlantic Richfield Company discovered, throughout last year, the Prudhoe Bay Oil Field, North America's largest oil field and that we started oil production there and the resulting oil boom spurred further growth in Anchorage and thus city as well as well as all Alaska recovered from the effects of the 1964 earthquake. And this discovery has also further increased the potential of our path to energy independence and to prosperity.

So it is based on this record that Elmer is running for Senate. As Senator he will defend your interests by championing tax reform, small government and fiscal responsibility. He will also fight to make sure that America takes advantage of all of its sources of energy, including oil, gas, nuclear, solar and wind. And he will fight to keep our military strong and support an agenda that will keep America safe and strong against the Soviet Union and lead us to victory in the Cold War. If you elect him to the U.S. Senate and if you elect me as President of the United States, we will make all of that happen.

September 25
-Fundraising event in Los Angeles, California
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2019, 01:15:33 PM »

(Apologies in advance for the long wait and for the debates to look strange but I've been getting barely any sleep recently. feel free to post closing statements with your answer)

Second POTUS Debate

Senator Kennedy, what makes you more qualified than Secretary Dillon, who was Secretary of Treasury under your brother's presidency, to manage the economy?

Senator Kennedy, how would you make the war on poverty more successful?

Secretary Dillon, in a campaign stop in Alaska, you have mentionned the recent discovery of the Prudhoe Bay Oil Field as a potential of America's path to energy independence. What did you mean by that and what is your plan to get our country to energy independence?

Secretary Dillon, America has now an unemployment rate set at less than 4 %, which is the lowest ever in our nation's history. How do you plan to get America to full employment under your presidency?

1. Governor Romney, can you clarify Secretary Dillon's position on the War on Poverty?

2. Governor Romney, as African Americans are now facing several years of social and income injustices, how do you plan to make sure that this community will have incomes as equal as white workers?

1. Governor Connally, due to the increasing violence across this country throughout the last four years, especially with the assassinations of John Kennedy in 1963, Malcolm X in 1965, Martin Luther King in 1968, do you believe that this is an indication that some restrictions should be brought to the Second Amendment and to the right to self-defense in order to prevent such violence?

2. Governor Connally, Senator Kennedy has argued that rising crime rates could be countered with more job and educational opportunities. How could such measure succeed in doing so?

(Apologies for abrubt questions. anyways, ttyl)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2019, 10:08:37 PM »

Kennedy debate answers
[/b]

1) "I have the utmost respect for Secretary Dillon, and plan on cutting taxes for the middle and working classes of the country. However, there is one part of the Secretary's radical economic agenda that we don't hear about: when you cut taxes for the wealthiest people, the tax burden gets shifted to the working people of the country. That is, unless you cut government spending, and that means that you cut money from healthcare, education and defense.

THis is the part you don't hear about. If you raise taxes on the wealthiest citizens, you shift the tax burden away from the middle and working classes. This gives them more freedom to start up small businesses, which are the backbone of the American economy. Small businesses are how we innovate; the more there are of them, the less chances there are for giant monopolies to grow."

2) "I actually think the War on Poverty has been successful so far. We have experienced outstanding economic growth. Workers, and particularly workers in unons have immense purchasing power. Citizens who could not afford healthcare insurance are now covered by Medicare and Medicaid. And you know what? People like having healthcare insurance regardless of their income.

Furthermore, if we cut taxes for our middle and working classes and shift the burden to our wealthiest citizens, that will inevitably lead to small businesses popping up, which has the side effect of preventing monopolies and creating a dynamic marketplace. As for those who can't find employment, the creation og Amtrak will mean that we need people to come and work on expanding our rail network. We need to expand our highways and build airports to make sure we are readyfor the future.

My plan will bring the government into parntership with private companies for these ventures, but we will prioristies smaller businesses over larger ones to facilitate growth. That is my plan, whereas the Secretary will only seek to give the largest tax cut possible to the wealthiest people he can find. Not really surprising, given that his running mate is the face of big business in the United States. Yeah, i come from money, but I will take a one dollar a year salary as President and am not going to object if my taxes were bumped up by 10 per cent.

John Connally debate answers

1) "Wev'e seen an epidemic of violence on our streets and three high profile assassinations in 5 years. The time has come for some common-sense regulations on firearms. Neither Bobby nor myself have any objections to responsible citizens owning guns, but sensibile, limited steps should be taken. For starters, we need to ban cop-killer bullets, which are designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill human beings. We also need to regulate the sale of assault weapons to the public.

However, let me present a scenario: a gunmaking company sells its weapons to a gun store. A person then buys from that store and does something crazy. The company is not liable for this; they only made it and sold it to the store. If the store was not aware that the person was going to do something crazy, then I don't believe they're liable either. If it was sold knowingly, then that is another matter.

Sensible, nuanced gun legislation is required. Increased background checks, regulation of assault weapons and a ban on cop-killer bullets are the three things we will pursue. It is simple, snsible and nuanced."

2) It's based on fairly simple logic. The communities that have been disproportionately affected by crime are low-income areas that have little in the way of educational and job opportunities. Without legitimate ways of earning money or learning, they'll turn to crime for both.

The point is, if you give opportunities for work and and education in these areas, then you counter rising crime rates. Putting people to work and sending them to school means that they spend less time on the streets committing crimes. And it has the added benefit of increasing the employment rate and allowing us to improve our national infrastructure.

We've tried the hard approach, and it has not worked, so let's try a different one.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: April 28, 2019, 05:13:12 PM »

Dillon's debate answers

1. What I meant is that it is none other than the largest oil field in America and we saw that one of the effects of the start of oil exploitation and production there is the recovery of Alaska from the damages of the 1964 earthquake. And America's energy independence is necessary not only for our prosperity but also for our national security. Thanks to energy independence, we will take the advantage over the Soviets instead of increasingly giving them the revenues they need to overpower us economically and militarily through our dependence on foreign oil, including countries allied to the Soviet Union. So as President I will work hard to make sure that America will take advantage of all of its own sources of energy, including oil, gas, coal, nuclear, solar, wind and hydroelectric energies and that will require making America the best place in the world to do business and that means reducing taxes for businesses across this country, including energy businesses, which is the contrast of Senator Kennedy's plan that includes higher taxes and regulations on energy. As a result, we will encourage job creation, get America to energy independence and improve our ecological footprint.

2. This strong economic progress of the last few years is partly generated by the Kennedy tax cuts, which I'm proud to have contributed to the conception and adoption as Secretary of Treasury. These tax reductions ensured an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, brought the inflation down to 1 %, reduced the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, allowed an increase of Gross National Product by 10 %, a rise of industrial production by 16 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. That's why as President, I will cut taxes for all Americans, including the middle class, in order to make America the best place to do business and to reinforce hard-working families purchasing power, thus encouraging job creation and getting our country to permanent prosperity and to full-employment. We'll also do it by leading our country to energy independence and promoting trade with our allies in order to increase America's economic competitiveness around the world. That way, we will make sure that America's future will be bright and prosperous for all Americans.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #345 on: April 28, 2019, 09:07:26 PM »

Romney's debate answers

1. We believe that the Great Society is the political heir of FDR's New Deal and I believe we should judiciously push forward in order to help the poor communities. There is more to be done about it. Look, the minimum wage here in the United States is currently at just $1.60 per hour, which partly explains the clear and present danger represented by poverty in this country. We should increase it at least to $5 in order to grant the American people good-paying jobs, thus increasing their ability to consume, to have access to healthcare and education and to raise a family. If we reduce taxes for the middle class and small businesses, we will give them a chance to prosper and to make their way in the American society and succeed. And by encouraging economic growth, we will have the ability to reduce the deficit because if more people work in a growing economy they're paying taxes and you can get the job done that way, thus reducing the fiscal burden on taxpayers. That is how we're going to fight poverty.

2. By increasing the minimum wage to $5 for all workers across this country, including for black workers. And African-Americans are mostly present in either the middle class or lower income classes. So by cutting taxes for the middle class, including African-Americans, they will see their fiscal burden reduced and earn better salaries and make their American Dream successful.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #346 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »

"maybe the Secretary should consider that we have serious problems regarding our environment right now. Acid ran  is falling from the skies, cities are being choked with smog and there are rivers so polluted they can't be used by humans. We can't afford to continue that state. We need a government Environmental Protection Agency to make sure we have a planet to live on.

And who do you propose we send the burden of these tax cuts to? Someone has to foot the bill for them. Cutting spending also means you cut healthcare and education, and the private sector has proven that it cannot be fully trusted when lives are on the line."
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Turn IX

September 26th - October 26th

Second Presidential Debate a slight Dillion Victory while the Second Vice Presidential Debate ends in tie, giving Dillion a slight boost in the poll by 1

Referendum in Greece gives Military Junta more power (September 29)

Tlatelolco massacre, in which 300-400 are killed after a student demonstration (October 2)

Communist Juan Velasco Alvarado takes power in Peru following a Revolution (October 3)

Police Baton Civil Rights Protestors in Derry, Northern Ireland (October 5)

Apollo 7 Launched for the first television broadcast from orbit and testing the lunar module docking maneuver.

Military coup led by Col. Boris Martinez and Col. Omar Torrijos overthrows the democratically elected government of President Arnulfo Arias in Panama (October 11)

The United States Department of Defense announces that the United States Army and United States Marines will send about 24,000 troops back to Vietnam for involuntary second tours (October 14)

Gun Control Act enacted (October 22)

Third and Fourth Presidential Debates on September 30th and October 16th respectfully (Third focusing on Civil Rights at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana and the Fourth focusing on Preventing the Spread of Communism at Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, Missouri) and the Third and Final Vice Presidential Debate on October 25th to focus on the recent foreign events at Connecticut College, New London, Connecticut

Current GE Polls

Dillion/Romney : 39 %
Kennedy/Connally : 38 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 14 %
Barnett/Russell : 6 %
Undecided : 3 %

If anyone wants the polls for five specific states, I will post them on this thread.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2019, 11:29:40 AM »

State Polls (Requested by UWS)

Michigan

Dillion/Romney : 43 %
Kennedy/Connally : 41 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 12 %
Undecided : 4 %