Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:23:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29233 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2018, 05:37:15 PM »

The Rockefeller campaign seeks ballot access in all states they are not already on the ballot in.
Faust
Rookie
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »

Patsy Mink for President.
February 1st-February 15th, 1968.

"The America that I know and love would never endorse the horrid murders committed yesterday in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Neither would it support the execution of a prisoner of war without proper trial as was seen in the case of Mr. Lém. These behaviors run counter to our ideals as a nation: one in which all may be heard and treated with respect, irrespective of background or creed. In such hard times, America needs to come together to prosper -- and my campaign intends to honor this commitment. We shall not rest until all may be heard and allowed to prosper. Thank you for your time, and God bless you."

Week One:

All politics is local -- folks won't vote for you unless they trust you to improve their lives.

• The Mink campaign continues its efforts to raise awareness in New Hampshire: meet-and-greets; barnstorms; and interviews are the tools of her trade. She continues to hit home about her honesty, views on Vietnam, and support of the Great Society (promising to ensure that it helps everyone in the best manner possible). Retail politics at its finest.
  • Since she is the only democratic candidate registered in New Hampshire, so far, Mink continues to give interviews explaining her moderate-to-liberal views on politics -- no rest for the ambitious.
  • She also continues her efforts to bulk up her campaign organization. Preparation is king.
  • Mink's endorsers also start fundraising for her throughout America -- tap into the feminist sentiment.

Week Two:

Rinse and repeat. The two Rs of victory.

• Mink continues her campaign of speaking and listening in New Hampshire -- the voters can't just ignore her for one the Kennedys.
  • Mink also continues her efforts in winning over the Democratic establishment in New Hampshire --- she's just as good as any Kennedy, goddamnit.
  • Finally, Mink hits the colleges in the area again. Ever since McCarthy made his remarks, his supporters have been going towards her -- time to tap into the base.

The Mink campaign will seek ballot access for Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2018, 09:49:24 PM »

Barry Goldwater debate answers part 1

1.Good evening I’m Senator Barry Goldwater But you prob have remember me from last election cycle and I am here to give a second chance to Amercia of my message. This time however I am reform myself and am very different from what I was like 4 years ago. 

2.When I am I am reforming myself I don’t mean I am pandering for political gain as a matter of fact that’s not what I am doing at all.  I have evolved and I am more progressive and individualistic than before and I have views that people will agree with like getting out of Vietnam and trying to find peace and reducing the size of our government and trying to make our tax code lower and fairer. 

The founding fathers would be rolling in their graves if they saw how big our government was today!!

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2018, 07:51:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Response to Senator Case from Senator Baker

Senator Case, I have made my position clear in this debate, in the last debate, and at my announcement speech. I believe as many in America do that this war is not unwinnable any longer but we must keep a strong position until we start safely pulling troops out of Vietnam so we can keep our troops safe. I believe that the responsibility of the commander and chief is to keep our soldiers safe something President Johnson has failed at time and again and any other position then safely taking our soldiers out of Vietnam would be reckless.

Response By Senator Howard Baker on Governor Rockefeller's Plan

Governor Rockefeller, answer after answer you have answered by planning to grow our government. That is not what the Republican party stands for The Republican party stands for lowering the deficit, Shrinking our government not growing and not infringing upon the constitution. Your plan is in violation for every single one of those basic beliefs of a Republican and I cannot support you as our nominee if that is your plan.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »

Senator Howard Baker 1968 Radio Advertisment
Radio Ad #3: Infringment

Narrator #1: A few Republicans seem to have a problem with our constitution.

Narrator #2: Richard Nixon believes we should take Romney off the ballot even though he is constitutionally eligible, George Romney wants to infringe upon the tenth amendment to force every state to have the same educational program, Nealson Rockefeller wants to create a big government farming program that would infringe upon the tenth amendment.

Howard Baker: Enough! I am Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee and I am running to protect and preserve our constitution because it seems no other candidate will.

Areas where it is Bought is Below (Red:Large, Blue: Medium, Green: Little, Gray: None)

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

Response to Senator Case from Senator Baker

Senator Case, I have made my position clear in this debate, in the last debate, and at my announcement speech. I believe as many in America do that this war is not unwinnable any longer but we must keep a strong position until we start safely pulling troops out of Vietnam so we can keep our troops safe. I believe that the responsibility of the commander and chief is to keep our soldiers safe something President Johnson has failed at time and again and any other position then safely taking our soldiers out of Vietnam would be reckless.

Response By Senator Howard Baker on Governor Rockefeller's Plan

Governor Rockefeller, answer after answer you have answered by planning to grow our government. That is not what the Republican party stands for The Republican party stands for lowering the deficit, Shrinking our government not growing and not infringing upon the constitution. Your plan is in violation for every single one of those basic beliefs of a Republican and I cannot support you as our nominee if that is your plan.
I will do tax cuts and I swear that I will choose a Conservative as my VP
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »

Goldwater debate answers part 2

3.I think it’s sick how this administration is dealing with this conflict in Vietnam and unlike most of the people on here I look at what is going on and I am saying this is not what these people signed up to fight for! I don’t want to see anymore mothers having to see their own son’s body in a casket let alone getting letters that they have been KIA in the jungle.   

This war has gotten out of hand and it’s time to get the US out of it and let the people of the RVN deal with the situation.  In my first 100 days I plan on a complete troop withdrawal from Vietnam and let the RVN deal it out themselves.

4.Well we have too much restrictions on our own businesses and people wanting to do business here also consider the fact that our corporate tax code is too complex for anyone want to do business here or sell and trade goods and services here.     I see farmers out there that have been hurt by the chicken tax President Johnson has put in and in my first 100 days also I plan on repealing on repealing that tax and all existing tariffs that hurt American farmers and fight for free and fair trade for Americans and make sure we are better able to complete in global markets.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »

Response To Governor Rockefeller By Senator Howard Baker

Governor Rockefeller just having a Vice-President that is conservative isn't enough, we need a conservative president to heal our nation and reverse the Johnson administration's disastrous policies and you have proven you aren't that conservative.

Also, tax cuts may help the nation's economy but it doesn't fix our deficit and a high national debt hurts our economy. Before we cut taxes we must cut government spending. When I am president I am going to cut government spending and cut taxes all within the first four years.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

Governor Rockefeller just having a Vice-President that is conservative isn't enough, we need a conservative president to heal our nation and reverse the Johnson administration's disastrous policies and you have proven you aren't that conservative.

Also, tax cuts may help the nation's economy but it doesn't fix our deficit and a high national debt hurts our economy. Before we cut taxes we must cut government spending. When I am president I am going to cut government spending and cut taxes all within the first four years.

So You want to defund the TVA and cause many people to not have Electricity
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2018, 04:24:39 PM »

I want to withdraw so I'll do this

Nelson Rockefeller Drops Out! Endorses Chase Smith but will endorse a Democratic Nominee If Goldwater or Baker wins the primary
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »

So You want to defund the TVA and cause many people to not have Electricity

Governor, How did you get that from what I said? I want to cut government funding but I am not defunding the TVA, if I do anything with that program I would privatize the system.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2018, 05:51:58 PM »

The Goldwater campaign seeks access to ballots in state they aren’t on.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Debate Answers

Opening Statement:

"Four years ago, Republicans made a choice to nominate the most conservative candidate in the field and hand the election over to Johnson without a real policy conversation. Due to this failure. we sat back and watched the President preside over a war he had no business leading. What I offer is true, tested leadership, a leader that is unafraid to stand up to our adversaries and for our citizens. Tonight, I will lay out my plan to embetter the lives of american citizens, and my record as Senator and Representative of the great state of Maine as reasons why you should support my campaign for President."

"When I ran for Senate, I was asked the same question, 'Can a woman be a good Senator?' I think I answered concisely when I said, 'Women administer the home. They set the rules, enforce them, mete out justice for violations. Thus, like Congress, they legislate; like the Executive, they administer; like the courts, they interpret the rules. It is an ideal experience for politics.' That's what I plan to do as President. If women can administer the home, we can surely administer The White House. As for my positions being, as you say, too liberal for the Party, we tried a radical conservative approach and America rejected it resoundingly, maybe an independent voice is exactly what this party needs."

"The Vietnam War could have gone differently if the Johnson administration hadn't failed at every single turn. I believe we need to be unwavering in Vietnam, and not give half-measures and uncertainties as we have under Johnson. It is paramount that we not abdicate our roll on the world stage when allies of democracy are counting on our leadership."

"I have represented a rural state since 1940, and I know something about issues impacting rural Americans. Farmers and consumers both agree that free trade is key to success here in America. Trade deals allow farmers to make a decent income, keep costs down for American consumers, and strengthen our bonds abroad, allowing for a continuation of America's safety."

"This is a strength I bring to the table, as I have been a bipartisan voice in Congress, making deals that help Americans. The fact is, compromise isn't a dirty word, especially when it brings successful policies to fruition. I have long supported policies that make sense, like the New Deal and civil rights bills, which uplift our citizens regardless of party."

"Urban renewal can be helpful when administered correctly. State and local governments have the best idea of what the city needs, where improvements should be targeted, and what money should be spent where. The federal government's role should be to issue block grants to states in order to revitalize their cities, and to invest more money into a strong police force to ensure the safety of Americans in both urban and rural areas."

"Thank you so much for having me. Tonight, we saw real differences between the candidates on this stage. We saw a vision for taking steps backward, and a new brand of Republican that offers solutions to problems, not party line answers to every question. There is only one person with answers to the problems plaguing our country, and she is right here on this stage."
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »

Governor Romney is also campaigning in the states he is not in the ballot on, and campaigning to get on the ballot
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »

Governor Romney is also campaigning in the states he is not in the ballot on, and campaigning to get on the ballot
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »

Schedule for Richard Nixon

February 1, 1968

Meet Voters in Poway, California

Speech in Vista, California
Look, the Republican Party needs two things. A proven candidate, and someone who can bridge the divide between our party's moderate wing, and their conservative wing. I believe I am that candidate.

February 2, 1968

Tour Camp Pendleton, visit with troops, especially those who have been/will be deployed to Vietnam soon.

February 3-4

Fundraisers in San Diego, California

February 5-6-7

Debate prep (for both debates)

February 8, 1968

Fundraisers in Los Angeles, California

Debate Howard Baker, Los Angeles, California

February 9-14

Debate Prep

February 15, 1968

Debate all candidates except for Scranton and Stassen, Concord, New Hampshire.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »

What Goldwater did part 1

Goldwater campaigned on balencing the budget and his flat tax plan in which he would give all working and middle class families a 15% tax cut and his plans of repealing all existing tariffs and the replacing of the Chicken Tax.

Goldwater did this in the Northwest and Southwest.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:54 AM »

Kennedy '68

Schedule for February 1-15

February 1-3: Kennedy campaigned in New Hampshire with his brother, working on building campaign volunteers in the state as well as meeting voters. The focus of the campaign in the state is his opposition to the war and his tax plan, calling for the raised taxes on the wealthy and for cuts to the taxes of working and middle class Americans.

February 4-8: Kennedy travelled to Wisconsin to highlight his pro-union policies. He called for Taft-Hartley to be overturned, labelling it a "crime against the American bargain". Again, he hammered Humphrey on his support for Vietnam, once again calling for a halt in the bombing and for negotiations to begin immediately.

February 9: This day was spent at a fundraiser in Chicago, hosted by Kennedy and Daley.

February 10-12: Kennedy campaigned in Pennsylvania these days, appearing with his wife Ethel and children as much as he could. Once again, he focused on minority and industrial  neighbourhoods as he attempted to build up his vote in these key constituencies. He also held a town hall in Philadelphia to explain why he opposed the war, as well as his support of increased taxes on the wealthy.

February 13-15: These days were spent meeting with party leaders in Michigan and Texas, as he attempted to garner their support for the convention. He also held fundraisers in both states and held phone calls with campaign staff in California and Oregon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »

Kennedy once again files to register for the New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania primaries.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »

Goldwater Campaign Radio Ad
Airs in all states which he is on the ballot
*A voice in the background starts talking*

Narrator:When the Founding Fathers started this nation one of there biggest reasons was due to the size of government and how many taxes we were paying.

Now it seems that they is faded away into the dustbins of history as LBJ and his gang of tax and spend democrats tax and spend up to 13 billion dollars in debt.

However Barry Goldwater has a plan he will reduce the size of the federal government. cut wasteful spending and regulations and have the budget balanced by the end of his second term.

Goldwater 1968 A golden American opportunity.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2018, 10:32:28 PM »

Kennedy again issues a debate challenge to all Democratic candidates.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »

William Scranton Radio Ad

Running in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and California

Narrator: "Our nation is at a turning point. Our cities have turned into chaos. Cities that the Johnson administration can't save. Our federal government is spending more than needed. Spending the Johnson administration refuses to cut. Our sons, nephews, and grandsons risk their lives fighting a needless war. A war that the Johnson administration has proved incapable of ending. It is time for new leadership.

America needs not just a leader capable of running the nation, but an experienced leader who can face the issues in our nation. William Scranton will save our cities, cut federal spending, and end the Vietnam War. William Scranton is that capable and experienced leader. Vote for William Scranton."
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 3

3:Well I think Bipartisan is a good thing for Amercia and as President I will be working to worth with the Democrats on the issues ahead in this country. I don’t want to be president just for the GOP I want to be president for all Americans Republican Democrat or Independent.   Our last President Dwight Eisenhower was able to balance the budget several times without raising taxes on the middle class with a Democratic Congress and Senate.   And just look how much prosperity we had in that decade. 

4:Well I think it’s really because we need to legalize Marijuana.  Now hear me out we have a big problem with morphine and codeine. Doctors are prescribing too much of them and people are getting highly addicted.

What I am proposing is that we should legalize marijuana for medical use. It is safer than any street drug and I have heard of anybody overdosing on it or a epidemic of it.   It could be useful to soliders returning home from Vietnam as a good antidote to PTSD and can help people with chronic pain and people dealing with illness.   We need to invest research into the effect of it and how we can made it safe so that it wouldn’t end up like the opioid overdoses that keep happening.

Closing:Thank you CBS and the people for letting me be here tonight and giving me a second chance at not only the Republican nomination but the presidency as well.

I am the only candidate here that hasn’t taken a cent from Wall Street and actually tells the people the truth not sugarcoating anything. 

If you nominee me for president you choose liberty and free will and you choose a Golden opportunity for Amercia. Thank you! 
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »

Senator Howard Baker For President 1968 Early Febaury Scheadule

Week One
Tennessee, Washington D.C, Alabama, Georgia and Florida

During the first week of February, the Senator Howard Baker for President campaign will travel across the south. Baker main focus was on gaining a verbal commitment from delegation leaders of Baker supporters. While on a tour of the deep south of Alabama and Georgia, Baker was endorsed by Governor Paul Fannin, the governor of Arizona. Fannin, a former Goldwater supporter, endorsement was meant to win over conservative that was leaning towards Goldwater or Reagan. Fannin would campaign with Baker in the south tour and he did his own tour of the west to start of building a base of Baker support. Baker did also spend time in the primary states of D.C. and Florida which he started to build a base before the primary but he spent a majority in the time in those primary states in the next primary.

Week Two
Florida, Washington D.C. and New Hampshire

During week two, the Baker campaign put much more work in primary states especially in New Hampshire where he didn't go at all in the previous week. In New Hampshire, Baker is trying to pull together a coalition of former Goldwater and Lodge voters. Baker will be targeting the northern counties like Coos and Belknap that have the most conservative tendencies. On Election Moring in New Hampshire, Baker hopes to win over is Dixville Notch since it is a very historic voting time of midnight. Baker visits that area twice during the week and areas around it in Coos County. During Baker's time in New Hampshire, he will be endorsed by former congresswomen from CT Clare Boothe Luce which is hopefully going to bring Baker some of the women vote that is going to Senator Smith. In Florida, Baker is hoping for support in the panhandle region near Alabama and Georgia which are strong Baker states. Baker also hopes to build support around the Miami region so he will have a warm welcome to the convection.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Rolls Out Endorsements

Senator Thomas Kuchel

“Margaret Chase Smith represents a face for a new Republican Party. This is a party that supports the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act, and reasonable, moderate solutions to the problems of the day. Here in California, we reject partisanship in favor of results. There’s only one choice for us this year, and that’s Margaret Chase Smith!”

Senator George Murphy

“Margaret Chase Smith has been consistent in her strength at home and abroad. She is not afraid to fight for American interests and to stand up to our adversaries. We can not have another leader who waffles on whether or not to advocate for America. What we need is strength, willingness to fight the good fight, and to ascertain when is a time for diplomacy, and when is a time for strength. Margaret Chase Smith represents this.”
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies