Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:21:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29214 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:24 PM »

Bobby Kennedy for President!

"Our country is at possibly it's most dangerous time since the Second World War. We have a wealthy class that wants it all and have been neglecting our responsibility to the black population. It is the right of all Americans to vote for who they want.

Yet, we also find ourselves in the middle of a war in Vietnam. A war that is unpopular, one that is causing untold suffering not just to our boys in Vietnam, but also to their families at home, whom all too often are being sent folded American flags and saying goodbye to their sons, husbands and brothers in coffins.

I am today announcing my candidacy for the presidency of the United States. I do not run for the presidency merely to oppose any man, but to propose new policies. I run because I am convinced that this country is on a perilous course and because I have such strong feelings about what must be done, and I feel that I'm obliged to do all I can. Thank you."

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:54 AM »

Bobby Kennedy for President

Schedule for month of January.

January 1-5: Spent with family

January 6-11: Kennedy kicked off his campaign in his adopted state of New York before travelling to Massachusetts, where he met with his brother and US Senator Ted. The two held a joint rally and a long conversation discussing campaign strategy and policy proposals for Bobby. After spending a couple of days there, he travelled to New Hampshire, and would barnstorm the entire state with the aid of campaign officials and the powerful Kennedy machine. Finally, he registered for the New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania primaries, aiming to compete in as many contests as possible.

January 12-20: Kennedy travelled to the industrial midwest for these days, meeting with party leaders in non-primary states and holding rallies and town halls in Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin and Illinois. In Chicago, he welcomed the endorsement of Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and his powerful support.

January 21-26: These days were spent in California, as Kennedy attempts to build up his liberal vote there. He touted his support of labor as well as his strongly pro-civil rights stance. He also called for  for a halt to bombing in Vietnam, and for the United States to be prepared to reach a settlement with the North Vietnamese.

January 27-31: Kennedy spent these days in New Hampshire and New York. He met with party leaders in New York to attain their support at the convention, while also rallying his supporters in new Hampshire, urging them to "send Humphrey a message". Again, he highlighted his civil rights stance and willingness to play hardball with those who refused to accept civil rights.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »

Kennedy challenges McCarthy, Humphrey and Smathers to a debate, calling for all candidates to be heard on their merits and their policies judged by voters.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 05:36:54 AM »

Kennedy '68

Schedule for February 1-15

February 1-3: Kennedy campaigned in New Hampshire with his brother, working on building campaign volunteers in the state as well as meeting voters. The focus of the campaign in the state is his opposition to the war and his tax plan, calling for the raised taxes on the wealthy and for cuts to the taxes of working and middle class Americans.

February 4-8: Kennedy travelled to Wisconsin to highlight his pro-union policies. He called for Taft-Hartley to be overturned, labelling it a "crime against the American bargain". Again, he hammered Humphrey on his support for Vietnam, once again calling for a halt in the bombing and for negotiations to begin immediately.

February 9: This day was spent at a fundraiser in Chicago, hosted by Kennedy and Daley.

February 10-12: Kennedy campaigned in Pennsylvania these days, appearing with his wife Ethel and children as much as he could. Once again, he focused on minority and industrial  neighbourhoods as he attempted to build up his vote in these key constituencies. He also held a town hall in Philadelphia to explain why he opposed the war, as well as his support of increased taxes on the wealthy.

February 13-15: These days were spent meeting with party leaders in Michigan and Texas, as he attempted to garner their support for the convention. He also held fundraisers in both states and held phone calls with campaign staff in California and Oregon.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »

Kennedy once again files to register for the New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania primaries.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:32:28 PM »

Kennedy again issues a debate challenge to all Democratic candidates.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »

Kennedy debate answers.

1) It is shameful the lengths people will go to slander the name of my brother, God rest his soul. My brother appointed qualified people to every post and he believed I was qualified to be Attorney-General. Truth be told, it took an excessive amount of lobbying from both my brothers and father before I agreed to take the post.

I intend to use the same approach with my cabinet. Only the best qualified individuals will be appointed to my cabinet. I would not nominate any family member to any post in my cabinet unless they prove themselves capable of carrying out the duties that post involves.

2) I did not feel I could continue to serve my country in an effective capacity under President Johnson. I was stifled at every turn and many of my concerns were tossed aside due to political expediency. I opposed escalating the war in Vietnam, while Johnson has been its biggest cheerleader since it began. President Johnson did not care one bit for me or my opinions, and I felt I could serve better as a Senator than as the Johnson administration's Attorney-General.

3) This is nothing more than slander. I said in my announcement speech that I was running to propose new ideas. I am not hijacking someone's campaign, and to insinuate that I am doing so is profoundly insulting to the millions of people who have given their time and effort to support me. I wish my colleague from Minnesota the best of luck, but ask that he stop using these lies.

4) I am older and wiser than I was last year. I have had much more time to think on why I lost that debate. This time, I am far better prepared to face any potential Republican opponent. I was caught unprepared last time; and I refuse to be taken by surprise a second time.

5) I say what I have said on the campaign trail. We need to immediately halt all bombing and start negotiating with the North Vietnamese government. Once this is done, we can bring our boys home and start addressing what is happening at home. We need to act further on civil rights and I would consider giving a pardon to those who had legitimate reasons for signing the draft, as well as ending the draft completely. It is time for our nation to move last the war.

6) The farmers of this country deserve our help, and there are numerous ways we do do this. Aside from continued farm subsidies, we can also look at identifying countries that are struggling with their harvest, and negotiate advantageous trade deals with them. Not only will it be a source of revenue for farmers and the government alike, but it will also be a big foreign policy win for us. In the case of Soviet-allied countries, we can negotiate to weaken their ties to the Soviet Union, in turn weakening the Soviet Bloc.

7) We often forget that the Civil Rights Act was passed with a lot of Republican help. We can look for areas of agreement with Repiblicans; encouraging private enterprise through setting up initiatives for example. We can encourage compromises with them, but we cannot compromise so much that we lose our soul.

Cool We need an immediate national infrastructure program, financed by the federal government with private companies picking up the slack. We can renew our cities greatly by making sure our buildings, ports, airfields, schools, universities  and roads are up to a modern standard in all respects. Yes, this may cost quite a bit, but ultimately, it will pay off in the long run. Our cities have been neglected far too long in this regard.

9) New Hampshire is known as the "Live free or die" state. Under my watch, the Justice Department became an active protector of civil rights in this country, making sure that blacks and other people of color are able to eat at the same restaurant as a white man. Our black population can live free now, but we can act further on it. I intend to do so.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:04:31 AM »

Kennedy '68

Schedule for rest of February

February 16-20: Kennedy campaigned in New Hampshire for these days, rallying support from the populace. He made efforts to appear with Jackie as well for two major rallies, banking on the memory of his brother to win as much support as possible. He also held several town halls, addressing the concerns of voters, and met with local black leaders.

February 21-25: Kennedy launched himself into Wisconsin with vigour, declaring that he will attempt to register for the ballot one last time before considering a write-in campaign. He met with various union leaders and toured construction sites while using the time to spruik his pro-worker policies, such as the repeal of Taft-Hartley.

February 26-29: These days were spent in Pennsylvania, as Bobby once again tied himself to the working class and black vote. He met with local civil rights leaders, vowing to do more to protect not just civil rights in the south, but nationwide. He also used this chance to tout his fierce defence of civil rights while serving as Attorney-General.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »

The Kennedy campaign requests to be on the Wisconsin ballot.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 03:16:08 AM »

Kennedy Victory Speech
[/u][/b]

Thank you to the people of New Hampshire for their overwhelming show of support, and I extend the same thanks to Maine and Vermont. We are going to ride this momentum all the way to Chicago!

Today, you sent a message to Washington that we are sick and tired of politics as usual. People in this country want action of civil rights, they want the rich to start paying their fair share of taxes, they want increased funding for education and universal healthcare and an end to the war in Vietnam. When we stand as one, there is nothing that we cannot accomplish!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2018, 04:56:57 AM by GoTfan »

Kennedy '68

March 13-18: Kennedy campaigned heavily in Wisconsin on labor rights. He called for Taft-Hartley to be repealed and for unions in the nation to be fully empowered once more. he alos held multiple town halls focusing on healthcare  and civil rights policy. once again, Kennedy advocated for a universal healthcare plan, and strneghtened civil rights legislation. He also made visits to sveral impoverished neighbourhoods to rally their support and call for a national jobs program to get people into the workforce, as well as calling for an end the war in Vietnam so the nation can progress forward. Again, he made efforts to appear with his wife Ethel and his 8 children.

March 18-25: Kennedy took these days to meet with Democratic Party leaders in Michigan and Minnesota these days, in particular pointing out that the Republican debate had credited him with raising the chances of a Democratic victory in November, and using that to convince them that he is the best general election candidate. Apart from this he also discussed numerous liberal legislative items his administration would champion, such as healthcare and labor law reform.

March 26-29: Kennedy campaigned in pennsylvania, once again on labor laws and civil rights legislation, as well as ending the war. In a rally in Philadelphia, Kennedy slammed the violence in Grosvenor Square: "Some protestors may have been violating the law, but the fact that 91 people were injuered and 200 protestors were arrested for exercising their democratic rights? We only believe in freedom of speech, assembly and communication when we believe in it for those we disagree with, and what Grosvenor Square proved is that some people are not willing to live up to the ideals they espouse.

March 30-31: Kennedy conducted a series of TV interviews, including a particularly fiery one about Mike Mansfield's independent campaign. Kennedy remarked: "It's not a good look for the Senate Majority Leader to be opposing his own party's candidates for President. he is intentionally sabotaging all the candidates in the field and he knows this. He's scared that a new Demoratic Prisdent will bring change to the White House. A lot of us-Patsy, Eugene and myself-all plan to do that. That's why he doesn't want us to win.

April 1-2: Kennedy travelled to California, continuing to hit the notes about civil rights, labor laws and ending the war in Vietnam. He also made several visits to poor neighbourhoods to continue pushing for a national jobs program, as well as saying that his administration would push for the Equal Rights Amendment. He also held a town hall in San Francsico with Senator Birch Bayh.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 05:33:55 PM »

Kennedy will attempt to register for all remaining ballots.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »

Kennedy victory speech

Thank you to all of my supporters who jve endeavoured to make sure that we get this far in. This country wants and end to the war, this country wants universal healthcare, this country wants civil rights, this country wants a fair chance for all! I thank all my supporters who came out to vote tonight, and I say the same for all who voted in tonight's contests.

We are going to take this momentum to the convention, and ride it all the way to the White House!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »

On April 4, Kennedy learned of King's death on campaing in Indianapolis. He stopped to address a crowd on it hours after the assassination

I have bad news for you, for all of our fellow citizens, and people who love peace all over the world, and that is that Martin Luther King was shot and killed tonight.

Martin Luther King dedicated his life to love and to justice for his fellow human beings, and he died because of that effort.

In this difficult time for the United States, it is perhaps well to ask what kind of a nation we are and what direction we want to move in. For those of you who are black — considering the evidence there evidently is that there were white people who were responsible — you can be filled with bitterness, with hatred, and a desire for revenge. We can move in that direction as a country, in great polarization — black people amongst black, white people amongst white, filled with hatred toward one another.

Or we can make an effort, as Martin Luther King did, to understand and to comprehend, and to replace that violence, that stain of bloodshed that has spread across our land, with an effort to understand with compassion and love.

My favorite poet was Aeschylus. He wrote: "In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God."

What we need in the United States is not division; what we need in the United States is not hatred; what we need in the United States is not violence or lawlessness; but love and wisdom, and compassion toward one another, and a feeling of justice toward those who still suffer within our country, whether they be white or they be black.

The vast majority of white people and the vast majority of black people in this country want to live together, want to improve the quality of our life, and want justice for all human beings who abide in our land.

Let us dedicate ourselves to what the Greeks wrote so many years ago: to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of this world.

Let us dedicate ourselves to that, and say a prayer for our country and for our people.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 03:52:26 AM »

Kennedy '68

Schedule for April 3-23

April 3: Kennedy met with Democratic Party leaders in Texas, once again trotting out his status as having raised the chances of a Democratic victory. He also said that he would consider a southern politician like Geroge Smathers for his running mate.

April 4: Kennedy was flying into Indiana to meet with Senator Birch Bayh to discuss strategy, but was informed by the Senator of King's assassination. He addressed a crowd on the assassination briefly, giving a heartfelt speech on the situation of civil rights, giving a solemn vow to further the rights of African-Americans.

April 5-12: Kennedy campaigned heavily in Indiana on civil rights, touting his background in defending civil rights for millions of Americans as Attorney-General. He also declared his intent to enhance the CRA and VRA. During an interview on civil rights, he blasted Gore. "Senator Gore voted for continued discrimination, to keep basic rights from millions of people.

"Are you saying Senator Gore's a racist, Senator Kennedy?"

"No, I'm not, but the racists of these country think he is."

April 13-20: Kennedy used the time to build his campaign team in the south, meeting with local black community leaders and hiring volunteers and staffers.

April 21-23: Kennedy campa8gn in Floridal once again meeting with community leaders and rallying support from the poor and minorities.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 03:55:57 AM »

Keenly attempts to register for all remaining ballots
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:11 AM »

Kennedy '68

April 24-26: Kennedy spent these days in Indiana, rallying support from the working class populace and touting his support for increased wages and the repeal of Taft-Hartley, as well as continuing to loudly broadcast his opposition to the war in Vietnam.

"Why do we send our young men over to fight in Vietnam when we could be doing them a greater service by keeping them at home and giving them a proper education? My administrations will eensure quality education reaches all our children, and we will make sure that our veterans are taken care of by drafting a new GI Bill and a universal healthcare program to ensure each American, regardless of income, can access free, quality healthcare in this nation.

April 27-28: Kennedy, along with his new supporter in Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, met with Democrats in Washington, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada to rally support from the local bosses. They raised the idea of Kennedy raising the prospects of a Democratic victory in November based on the strength of his character alone.

April 29-30: These two days were spent criss-crossing California. In an interview on ABC, he expressed his disappointement with the decision of the Southern Democrats.

"To tell you the truth, I'm bitterly diappointed in the pre-emptive decision that has been made in advance of the remaining primaries to effectively deny the will of the people. Our campaign has been raising important issues; civil rights, jobs, healthcare, education, Vietnam and so on. What has happened in the south is a pre-emptive move to deny a liberal the nomination.

He would continue this at a rally on the 30th.

"They want to deny a liberal the nomination, so they override the people before the people have let their voices be heard! Make no mistake, that is what has happened! What has our campaign done? We have raised the chances of a Democratic victory this November! We have been talking about healthcare, education, jobs, civil rights and Vietnam!

They don't want a liberal to win the nomination because they think we should be running scared of the word liberal! Well let me tell you what this liberal stands for! This liberal stands for increased spending on quality education! This liberal stands for making sure our veterans of Vietnam are not forgotten about! This liberal stands for making sure everyone hase a home to live in! This liberal cares about creating a healthcare system for all Americans!

This liberal stands for moving out nation forward! For moving our nation into the light! For moving our nation into tomorrow!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 05:51:55 AM »

Humphrey: I'm For Kennedy

"I've had my disagreements with the Kennedys over the years, but we simply cannot afford to lose the progress we've made on civil rights, worker's rights and other issues. We cannot afford to get further bogged down in the quagmire of Vietnam; we need to halt the bombing, enter negotiations and bring our boys home.

Kennedy, despite my disagreements with him, is the only one making hay about this on the campaign trail, especially when his opponent is threatening to undo all our progress in ensuring that every one has equal rights, regardless of their skin colour.

Robert Francis Kennedy has my vote for President!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 10:23:46 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 1-4: Kennedy was campaigning among industrial workers in Ohio with Hubert Humphrey and Eugene McCarthy both days, promising that he would pass protection for unions and repeal Taft-Hartley, as well as brining up Gore's desire to use nuclear weapons in Korea. While they were campaigning,the three noted that they put their differences aside to hold up the beacon for liberalism in the United States.

May 5-7: kennedy campaigned in the Western states these days while Humphrey met with part bosses from the states that weren't holding primaries out west. Again, Humphrey drove forward that kennedy had raised the chances of a Democratic victory in November, and that sitcking to the line with Johnson was a losing battle, given his approval rating.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 8: Kennedy welcomed the backing of additional liberal support on this day from the former Governor of California Pat Brown, but perhaps more importantly, he netted the support of John Moran Bailey, the powerful Democratic National Committee chairman. Bailey, an ardent New Deal liberal whose support will be key in rallying the other caucus states to his side.

He also held a major rally in Omaha, Nebraska, declaring he would defend farm subsidies and more. He also visited multiple rural towns in an attempt to rally support from there as well as visiting Omaha's poorer suburbs.

May 9-11: Kennedy focused on meeting with party bosses from the remaining caucus states along with Vice President Humphrey, Mayor Daley and Chairman Bailey, emphasising Gore's waffling on the Presidential nomination, and arguing that Gore's statement that he wouldn't accept the nomination would throw the convention into chaos.

May 12: Kennedy and his allies campaigned in Oregon this day, meeting with students, civil rights activists and workers. Largely, he hit his usual campaign notes of ending the war in Vietnam, increasing civil rights legislation. He also continued to make efforts to appear with his former opponent Eugene McCarthy, sparking rumours of a potential cabinet job for the Minnesota Senator.

May 13-14: These two days saw resources focused on California as Kennedy made every effort to appear with former governor Brown and labor leaders in the state, as well as meeting with student and civil rights leaders in the state. He focused on his message of pro-worker rhetoric as well as calling for a halt to bombing in Vietnam and beginning negotiations. He also declared this challenge:

"Senator Gore can make whatever noise he wants about me. If he wants to be taken seriously, then I challenge him to a debate right here in California."

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 18: Kennedy held a cordial meeting with Senator George Smathers in Miami before campaigning through the city with the Senator, touting his support for medicare as well as declaring he would push for universal healthcare as President. Smathers in particular campaigned for Kennedy on the issue of universal healthcare.

May 19-22: Kennedy held a convention strategy meeting with DNC Chair Bailey, Senate Majority Leader Mansfield, Vice President Humphrey and Chicago Mayor Daley and met with Democratic bosses in remaining states, pointing to the fact that he had a far better chance of winning against the Republicans than Gore did, highlighting the failure of an anti-Civil Rights platform in 1964.

May 23-25: THese days were spent campaigning in Oregon, shoring up the liberal vote there. He made several appearances with Senator McCarthy as well, in an attempt to win over his supporters. He also continued to point out Johnson's hypocrisy in supporting a candidate who wanted to undo his flagship legislation.

May 26-28: Kennedy again campaigned in California, banking on a huge win in the state. He hit his usual notes about labor rights, civil rights and so on.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

An Open Letter to President Lyndon B. Johnson

Mr President,

I am usually fairly slow to anger. I served loyally as your Attorney-General, and we did wonders for Civil Rights in this country. In the Senate, I have served as a defender of labor rights and the civil rights legislation you fought tooth and nail to pass against oppositions from Senator Gore and other southern Democrats.

My campaign has been run in a fairly standard manner. Your responses however, have not been.

You endorsed a man who seeks to overturn your legacy; the very legislation that you were prepared to kill your career for. Your threat to run as a new candidate will only hand the election to the Republicans who will overturn your Great Society.

I ask one final time to not let your personal hatred of me outweigh your commitment to building a legacy of a champion of civil rights.

If this does not suit you, then I will simply point to the fact that you have no commitment to your legacy at all. You sought to throw the nomination to Senator Gore who wants the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act overturned. Your potential campaign as an independent will only serve to hand the election to the Republicans on a silver platter, them they will set about overturning your Great Society.

I have the honour to be your obedient servant, Robert F Kennedy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »

Connally splits with Johnson! Endorses Kennedy!

Once firm allies, Gov. Connally and Pres. Johnson have now drawn battle lines against each other.

In a stunning interview during the week, Texas Governor John Connally announced that he was endorsing Robert Kennedy for President in a perceived rebuke to his close friend and ally.

"Yeah, I'm a friend of Lyndon, but friends shouldn't tell lies to each other. I'm greatly disturbed at his willingness to sell the legislation that he fought tooth and nail and nearly killed his career for down the river just because of a personal vendetta."

He also declared his support for Kennedy's education plan. Connally's main issue in Texas has been education, particularly higher education.

"Bobby understands that education is a key front in our battle not just with communism, but also in ensuring that American businesses remain in America. I'm proud to support him on that alone, as his plan for ease of access to higher education is beyond needed in this day and age. As far as our views on civil rights are, I have come to see that protection civil rights for Negroes is the right thing to do. I'm ashamed it took me this long to come around.

So yes, I am supporting Bobby Kennedy for President.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:36 AM »

Kennedy '68

May 29-June 1: Kennedy campaigned in South Dakota these days, attempting to bring his pro-farmer platform out. He not only promised an increase in farm subsidies but once again highlighted his dual agriculture/foreign policy plan of using America's farms to help dismantle the Warsaw Pact, highlighting that this would not only bring a new market for American farmers, but also help in pulling countries away from Soviert influence.

June 2: RFK and his brother, as will as his wife Ethel and sister-in-law Jackie, campaigned in New Jersey on ending the war in Vietnam, as well as offering some rare praise for Johnson.

"The President has done some truly remarkable things on the domestic front. Unemployment is low, the economy is doing well and contrary to what Secretary Dillon says, many Americans, particularly those in unions, have a lot of purchasing power. He's laid the groundwork on the domestic front, but we need to go further."

June 3-4: These days were spent in California on the campaign trail all through the states. While Kennedy was on the trail, his primary surrogates; Connally, McCormack, Mansfield, Daley and Humphrey met with Democratic leaders in the remaining caucus states, pointing to the fact that if chaos erupted at the convention, it would be borderling impossible to defeat the Republicans, as well as the failure of anti-civil rights platforms outside of the south.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 11:12:09 PM »

Kennedy Victory Speech

"I have just received word that with our terrific performance, tonight, we have won the Democratic Party Nomination for President of the United States of America!

This was not a victory won by me. This was won by the people who gave so much to this campaign. People like Congresswoman Mink and Senators McCarthy and Smathers and Vice President Humphrey. People who fight for Civil Rights and labor rights!

We will bring an end to Vietnam. We will address civil rights. We will make sure that every citizen of this country has access to good healthcare, education and a decent minimum wage. We will break up the Soviet bloc through diplomacy, not force and will work towards reducing world tension.

Thank you and goodnight!
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies