Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29251 times)
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« on: September 14, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Makes Announcement in Washington, D.C.

"Four years ago, I was called to run for President by people like yourself, seeking a real leader for this country. Once again, I have received calls based on my experience and fighting against the bigotry that exists against women. This time, I can't sit back and allow Republicans to throw away such an important election when we have such an abdication of leadership in regards to the Vietnam War. As I said 18 years ago, I don't want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the four horsemen of calumny—fear, ignorance, bigotry, and smear, and that holds true today. My goal in this campaign is more than a Pyrrhic victory, but a true win for the leadership of the United States."

Margaret Chase Smith seeks ballot access for New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Indiana.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith agrees to debate in a press release, stating the need for all candidates’ records to be heard.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:51:58 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Rolls Out Endorsements

Jacob Javits

"We Republicans tried an ideologue, and it failed spectacularly in 64. We need the liberal wing of the party to stand up for programs like the Great Society, that focus on the betterment of Americans regardless of political inclinations, but stand up for our interests abroad. I believe Margaret Chase Smith is the best choice for us to nominate."

Raymond P. Shafer

"Extremism has gotten this party nowhere. In fact, in many ways, it's entangled us into a war that has been mishandled from the beginning. What we need is a deal maker, who knows how to run things. I can't think of anyone more qualified than Margaret Chase Smith. Margaret has pushed for common sense bipartisanship in her time in the House and Senate, and has worked across the aisle when it makes sense, while standing true to her principles."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Campaign Schedule

Week 1: The Smith Campaign was delivered double victories in Pennsylvania by qualifying for ballot access and received the endorsement of Governor Shafer. MCS held a joint rally in Philadelphia with the governor, highlighting the need to nominate a moderate if Republicans hope to take the White House in November. Smith focused her attention on the growing suburbs, bringing attention to the lack of consistent leadership in regard to foreign policy, in contrast with her own record of a more steely foreign policy plan.

Week 2: The Smith Campaign received ballot access in New Hampshire and the endorsement of Governor Javits, solidifying her as a moderate option for the Republican primary. MCS continued her focus on the mid-Atlantic, with rallies and town halls across New Jersey, focusing on her independent record in the Senate. In New York, she rallied with Governor Javits, with a message on international strength and cracking down on domestic protests through a stronger foreign policy. In a departure from her previous run for President, MCS held fundraisers while in New York, and was willing to meet with party bosses.

Week 3: The Smith Campaign swung through the northeast from upstate New York to her home state of Maine, spending most of the week in New Hampshire. While on her home turf, she touted her record of most consecutive votes in the senate, arguing that what America needs is a work horse, not a show pony. While campaigning, MCS slammed the Johnson administration’s transparency issue, especially with Vietnam. In a speech in Boston, MCS highlighted her support for increased education funding and civil rights, remarking that issues like these should not be partisan, but human.

Week 4: In the final week of January, Smith’s Campaign traveled to the Midwest, with their attention focused on Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Smith thanked crowds in Chicago for their support of her 4 years earlier in the Republican primary, and asked them yet again to throw their support behind her. MCS attempted to thread the needle when talking about her status as a woman, saying that being a woman afforded her no special treatment, but gave her a unique perspective for the issues impacting Americans. In spite of her downplaying the so called “woman card,” women seemed to turn out in larger numbers to her events in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, citing her support of WAVES and education funding. In Wisconsin, MCS once again brought her moderate record to the forefront, telling a crowd that she would champion them, not what a party line preferred.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Runs Ad “Declaration of Conscience in PA, IL, MA, NH, and WI

In this ad, MCS recounts her speech against McCarthyism directly to the camera.

“The Democratic administration has greatly lost the confidence of the American people by its complacency to the threat of communism and the leak of vital secrets to Russia through key officials of the Democratic administration. There are enough proved cases to make this point without diluting our criticism with unproved charges.

Surely these are sufficient reasons to make it clear to the American people that it is time for a change and that a Republican victory is necessary to the security of this country. Surely it is clear that this nation will continue to suffer as long as it is governed by the present ineffective Democratic Administration.

Yet to displace it with a Republican regime embracing a philosophy that lacks political integrity or intellectual honesty would prove equally disastrous to this nation. The nation sorely needs a Republican victory. But I don't want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny -- Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.

I doubt if the Republican Party could -- simply because I don't believe the American people will uphold any political party that puts political exploitation above national interest.

These words were true when I spoke them in 1950, and they are true nearly 20 years later. History may not repeat itself, but it rhymes. Let’s take a better course by supporting Margaret Chase Smith for President.”
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith would like to seek ballot access for Wisconsin, Massachusetts, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, and California.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Debate Answers

Opening Statement:

"Four years ago, Republicans made a choice to nominate the most conservative candidate in the field and hand the election over to Johnson without a real policy conversation. Due to this failure. we sat back and watched the President preside over a war he had no business leading. What I offer is true, tested leadership, a leader that is unafraid to stand up to our adversaries and for our citizens. Tonight, I will lay out my plan to embetter the lives of american citizens, and my record as Senator and Representative of the great state of Maine as reasons why you should support my campaign for President."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"When I ran for Senate, I was asked the same question, 'Can a woman be a good Senator?' I think I answered concisely when I said, 'Women administer the home. They set the rules, enforce them, mete out justice for violations. Thus, like Congress, they legislate; like the Executive, they administer; like the courts, they interpret the rules. It is an ideal experience for politics.' That's what I plan to do as President. If women can administer the home, we can surely administer The White House. As for my positions being, as you say, too liberal for the Party, we tried a radical conservative approach and America rejected it resoundingly, maybe an independent voice is exactly what this party needs."

"The Vietnam War could have gone differently if the Johnson administration hadn't failed at every single turn. I believe we need to be unwavering in Vietnam, and not give half-measures and uncertainties as we have under Johnson. It is paramount that we not abdicate our roll on the world stage when allies of democracy are counting on our leadership."

"I have represented a rural state since 1940, and I know something about issues impacting rural Americans. Farmers and consumers both agree that free trade is key to success here in America. Trade deals allow farmers to make a decent income, keep costs down for American consumers, and strengthen our bonds abroad, allowing for a continuation of America's safety."

"This is a strength I bring to the table, as I have been a bipartisan voice in Congress, making deals that help Americans. The fact is, compromise isn't a dirty word, especially when it brings successful policies to fruition. I have long supported policies that make sense, like the New Deal and civil rights bills, which uplift our citizens regardless of party."

"Urban renewal can be helpful when administered correctly. State and local governments have the best idea of what the city needs, where improvements should be targeted, and what money should be spent where. The federal government's role should be to issue block grants to states in order to revitalize their cities, and to invest more money into a strong police force to ensure the safety of Americans in both urban and rural areas."

"Thank you so much for having me. Tonight, we saw real differences between the candidates on this stage. We saw a vision for taking steps backward, and a new brand of Republican that offers solutions to problems, not party line answers to every question. There is only one person with answers to the problems plaguing our country, and she is right here on this stage."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:27 AM »

Senator Thomas Kuchel

“Margaret Chase Smith represents a face for a new Republican Party. This is a party that supports the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act, and reasonable, moderate solutions to the problems of the day. Here in California, we reject partisanship in favor of results. There’s only one choice for us this year, and that’s Margaret Chase Smith!”

Senator George Murphy

“Margaret Chase Smith has been consistent in her strength at home and abroad. She is not afraid to fight for American interests and to stand up to our adversaries. We can not have another leader who waffles on whether or not to advocate for America. What we need is strength, willingness to fight the good fight, and to ascertain when is a time for diplomacy, and when is a time for strength. Margaret Chase Smith represents this.”
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

Week One: MCS kicks off a tour of the West Coast with a rally in San Diego with Senators Murphy and Kuchel, touting her independent experience in the House in Senate. MCS toured California, speaking about the need for law and order and a strong foreign policy presence. As the campaign moved north to San Francisco and then Oregon, the focus shifted to civil rights, with the Voting Rights Act being a large part of her stump speech. While in Oregon, MCS traveled the rural communities in the east, speaking with them about the impact of trade and foreign policy on their livelihoods. Finally, the campaign swung through Washington, with speeches on the danger of extremism and a call for electability in November.

Week Two: MCS traveled back to New Hampshire, spending most of the week doing town halls around the state. The town halls took a positive tone, focusing on the need for an American Conscience with lines from the famous speech 'Declaration of Conscience.' In a speech, MCS made a call for "Smith Republicans," moderate Republicans who supported civil rights, education spending,  and eschewed partisanship, to support her across the Northeast. In a rally in New York, Nelson Rockefeller dropped out and pushed his supporters to support MCS as a moderate option in the primary.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 12:01:28 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith seeks ballot access for Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, and DC
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Victory Speech

“New Hampshire, and New England made history by supporting our bid for President. This campaign would not exist without supporters like you who are done with the extreme partisanship that has become emblematic of Washington politics. I believe America has a choice between candidates that believe Goldwater didn’t win because he wasn’t conservative enough, versus my view that America is ready for true, strong leadership. I’ve heard some rumblings about the need for another debate, and I absolutely agree that Americans need to hear more from the candidates, Senator Case, I agree we need a republican debate.”
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Debate Answers

"Hello Wisconsin, I'm so thankful to be here tonight. It's been an honor to be able to introduce myself to you and to receive such a warm welcome. I stand here as an answer to partisan bickering, to gridlock, and to extremism that cost this party the White House four years ago.  Voters do not want more of the same, they crave a change, as we saw in New Hampshire. I am on this stage to represent that change."

"First, thank you, I am beyond honored and inspired by my supporters across this country. Now to your question, I'm my own candidate. While I appreciate Nixon's endorsement, I do not ask people to support me because of the endorsements I have garnered, but for my record and policy positions. Richard Nixon endorsed the strongest candidate in this race, and any questions or criticisms of his trustworthiness should be directed his way, not mine."

"The fact is, countries that moved past the gold standard recovered more quickly from the Depression. As the economy continues to grow, we need to look closely into what role the government has in protecting its citizens from downturns. If the requirement for a gold reserve to back the dollar hinders this ability, then we must move forward as a country."

"The violence in Grosvenor Square should concern us all. The escalation to violence is unacceptable, regardless of one's intentions. While I believe that the right to protest is a sacred right in this country, I also believe that law and order is important to a functional society, and our government needs to step up police presence at organized protests, along with a strong foreign policy to bring a swift victory to the war, in contrast to the waffling of the Johnson administration."

"President Kennedy was a leader on the issues of civil rights, strength on the international level, and with promoting confidence at home. Robert Kennedy is a wonderful speaker who has seemingly inherited his brother's charisma. However, I believe the appeal of President Kennedy was his leadership, and that I can offer in droves, alongside the record to back up my beliefs."

"There's only one candidate in this race who is truly independent of special interests and party operatives. I know that the states of Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota want real solutions to the problems impacting the country, and desire true leadership to guide the way. I can promise that a Smith Presidency will be untethered to partisanship, but will instead be directly tied to what's best for America. I have proven that with bucking my party on the issues of unions, civil rights, and the New Deal, all of which benefit the Midwest."

"Tonight, we all offered a vision to the American people. Do voters wish for more of the same extremism, flip-flopping, and weakness that has infected Washington, or do they want a change to the system? I offered the latter of the two. What America needs is a leader, someone to not just end the Vietnam War, but win it, someone who can pave a new path for the Republican Party and the country as a whole, we need someone who will not back down when standing up for our interests. I offer that to the American people, leadership with a conscience."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Rolls Out TV Ad in Wisconsin, Accompanied by a Radio Ad in of the Audio in Michigan and Minnesota

Mother of WAVES

"While partisans were fighting, Margaret Chase Smith was making our navy stronger by writing legislation that allows women to serve. Margaret recognizes that our country is best when women can serve alongside men to protect our liberty."

"I was asked whether it was a woman's place to be in the Navy, I responded that a woman's place is everywhere, and if we're so concerned about the dangers of combat for women, all of our nurses should come home. That straightened everything up pretty quick."

"Margaret Chase Smith: Fighting for All of Us."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »

Harold LeVander Holds Rally in St. Paul, Minnesota

"Usually, I would be apprehensive to wade into Presidential politics, as it takes away focus from governing this great state. However, upon seeing the events in Grosvenor Square, I can not sit idly by without weighing in. The conversation of whether law and order or free speech is more important has seemingly taken over, with only one candidate proposing that we can, and should, have both. Margaret Chase Smith has advocated for free speech, even when the party was caught up with McCarthyism, but has also championed rule of law to protect those of us who just want to be able to go to school or work in peace. We need a calm, even force in office right now, and there's only one woman for that job."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »

Margaret Chase Smith Runs TV Ad “Experience” in Wisconsin and Illinois

“Margaret Chase Smith has served her home state since 1940, she is a member of the Senate Armed Service Committee, and has led the way for the caucus as Chair of the Senate Republican Caucus.”

“Margaret has never been afraid to make tough calls to protect us, leading some adversaries to throw insults to try to keep spineless foreign policy that they love. But, Margaret will stand firm in her commitment for our safety.”

“At this point in our nation’s history, we need a president with foreign policy experience, not just someone who can sign bills into law. Margaret Chase Smith has the experience to keep America safe and strong.”
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »

Week One: Margaret Chase Smith began the week by touring college campuses in Wisconsin, talking about the Vietnam War protests that have struck fear into suburban communities. When rallying at the campuses, she spoke on the need for a tough foreign policy alongside an expansion of education funding and civil rights domestically. MCS touted her opposition to the party line on labor issues while in Wisconsin, once again laying out the argument that she will be an independent voice for the average American. At the end of the week, she joined Governor Harold LeVander for a surprise joint rally in St. Paul, Minnesota, where he announced his unflinching support of MCS. While in Minnesota, the campaign focused on small events focused on women's groups and labor.

Week Two: Margaret Chase Smith held a rally in Chicago, Illinois focusing on her title as "Mother of WAVES," and her support of both the navy and women's representation. After the rally, the campaign toured suburban Chicago, touting the Senator's independent record and consistent knack for foreign policy. The campaign swung back to Wisconsin with a rally in Kenosha, where Smith spoke on the need for a revival of the Republican Party to one of Roosevelt and Lincoln, with a renewed push for civil rights and "carrying a big stick." The campaign spent the remainder of the week rallying voters throughout Wisconsin, with events in Milwaukee, Sheboygan, and Green Bay. MCS honed in on her moderate message, quipping that "Wisconsin has moved past the days of McCarthy, and will not be fooled again by extremists in moderate's clothing."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Responds to MLK's Assassination in Philadelphia Rally

"I know I don't have to inform anyone here about the tragedy that occurred in Memphis today. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a true leader on civil rights in this country. I urge Congress to pass and expand the Civil Rights Act immediately in his honor. I must apologize for cutting this rally short, but we as a nation must grieve, and work to heal the scars of racial division."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »

Week One:

Margaret Chase Smith began her campaign with a tour of traditionally Democratic territory of Western Pennsylvania. Smith's campaign focused on a return to law and order, with a moderate approach to dealing with the protests across the country, balancing rule of law and the rights of protesters. As the campaign moved East, MCS rallied supporters on her independent record, focusing on large crowds in the suburbs. In the latter part of the week, Smith toured Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs. Smith's focus while in this region was on a return to moderation on social issues, but fiscal responsibility in the form of low taxes while expanding education and civil rights. Smith suspended a rally when learning of the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

Week Two:

Margaret Chase Smith returned to Washington DC to vote in favor of the Civil Rights Act, holding a press conference after, calling on a time of healing and functional order following this time of chaos. MCS re-entered the campaign trail with stops throughout Delaware, focusing on New Castle County. While on the trail, Smith rallied supporters on creating stability in Washington through tough leadership and experience. MCS returned to Pennsylvania, travelling the Philadelphia suburbs, speaking with voters on the need for strong, steady leadership, throwing barbs at the Democratic field's lack of clear leadership. Smith spent the remainder of the week touring rural Pennsylvania, speaking with farmers on strengthening the agriculture industry through free trade at home and abroad.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »

Smith Rolls Out Endorsements

Senator J. Caleb Boggs endorses Margaret Chase Smith at rally in New Castle

"I have served this great state as a representative, governor, and now as Senator, and would like to think that I understand what Delaware needs. I think we respect reason, moderation, and results. There's one candidate that exemplifies this perfectly, and that's Margaret Chase Smith. I ask all delegates from this state to throw their support behind her, as she is the best equipped to win in November."

Richard Schweiker announces support of Margaret Chase Smith in Philadelphia

"As a candidate for Senate this fall, I must implore you to also throw your support behind Margaret Chase Smith for President. Now, we may disagree on some issues, but she fundamentally understands what Pennsylvania needs. We do not need a partisan, spouting only the Republican line, we do not need a weak willed leader, who will sell any position at the right price. What we need is a pragmatic leader, who will not rest until the job is done. Ask anyone who knows Senator Smith, and they will tell you that this is her."
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

Margaret Chase Smith Holds Rally, Accepting Her Place on the Goldwater-Smith Ticket

“Well, I’m sure you’ve heard the news. The Republican ticket is going to be history making, with geographical, ideological, and gender diversity. I was a little surprised when Senator Goldwater asked me to join the ticket, but I am so grateful for the opportunity. This is proof the Republicans have a better vision for the country, one that is open to debate on the issues, one that will stand strong against our enemies, and one that will not forget its people. I’m excited to get back on the campaign trail, and serve as your Vice President!”
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies