Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:31:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29231 times)
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« on: September 15, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
« edited: September 15, 2018, 02:02:39 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

William Scranton Announcement Speech

"In the past four years, our nation has taken a turn for the worse. We have seen our proud cities descend into chaos. We have seen our sons, our nephews, our grandchildren, our children, the future of this proud nation, risk their lives fighting a needless war. The United State needs to have this course corrected. Four years ago, I was asked to take the helm, and I did not take the chance when I could. I will not make that mistake again, which is why I announce my candidacy for President of the United States!"

Governor Scranton seeks to get on the ballot in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Ohio, West Virginia, Oregon, California, New Jersey, and Illinois.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 03:10:22 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2018, 08:52:17 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-January

January 8: Announcement Speech

January 9-11: Setting up campaign headquarters in Philadelphia and hiring of major staff

January 12: Speech in Philadelphia, where the endorsement of Senator Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania is announced

Excerpt from Scott's speech: "Governor Scranton served our state with honor and respect and I know that he will do the same as President!"

January 13-17: Barnstorming and fundraising throughout Pennsylvania

January 17: Speech in Pittsburgh to steel workers on the economy

Excerpt from speech: "The working class is the backbone of American society. I did not forget about you as governor and I will not forget you as President!"

January 18-25: Barnstorming in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Illinois

January 26-27: Resting

January 28-30: Barnstorming and fundraising in Massachusetts

January 31: Rally in Boston, where the endorsement of Governor John Volpe of Massachusetts is announced.

Excerpt from Volpe's speech: "In this time of uncertainty, more than ever, we need a capable leader who is up to the demanding tasks of being President. I believe that William Scranton is that man, and so he has my endorsement for President!"

The Scranton campaign declines Senator Baker's request for a debate at this time, stating that they feel it is too early in the cycle for a debate, but would be willing to debate at a later time.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »

William Scranton's Response to Baker's Remarks

"As noted in the earlier statement, Governor Scranton has said that he would be willing to debate at a later time. At this time, the Governor will convey his message to the voters directly, without the need of appearing alongside the other candidates.

Governor Scranton believes that the voters going to the polls will choose the most capable man for the Presidency in these troubling times and knows they will choose the man who successfully lead one of the nation's greatest and most important states for four years over a man who thinks a single year of elected office is somehow enough experience to assume the Presidency."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

Governor Scranton applies for the ballot in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Ohio, California, and New Jersey.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-February 1 to February 15

February 1: Rally and fundraiser in Springfield, Massachusetts with Governor Volpe

February 2-4: Barnstorming in New Hampshire

February 4: Rally in Hartford, Connecticut, where the endorsement of Former Senator Prescott Bush of Connecticut is announced

Excerpt from Bush's speech: "This nation needs a man with a proven record of success both in and out of public service to become President. William Scranton has that record of success, which is why I am endorsing him for President!"

February 5-6: Barnstorming and fundraising in New York and New Jersey. Senator Bush, a former Wall Street executive, attends the fundraisers, working to get members of Wall Street to back Governor Scranton

February 7: Rallies in Trenton, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. Senator Scott attends all three rallies. Prior to the Philadelphia rally, Governor Scranton makes a stop at campaign headquarters

February 8-9: Barnstorming and fundraising in Wisconsin and Illinois

February 9: Speech on education in Springfield, Illinois

Speech: "Our education system is in dire need of reform. When I served as Governor of Pennsylvania, I enacted sweeping reforms of the education system. Among them was a state wide system of community colleges, so that people struggling to afford college could receive higher education, and a state Board of Education to oversee the entire education system in Pennsylvania. As President, I will work with federal and state authorities to reform our education system so that our citizens can receive the best education they can. Education is the first step to securing a bright and stable future for America, and we cannot afford to see it decline."

February 10: Rally in Salem, Oregon, where the endorsement of Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon is announced

Excerpt from Hatfield's speech: America needs an experienced leader who can step up and lead America out of these distressing times and into a safe and stable country. William Scranton is that leader and so he has my endorsement for President!"

February 10-12: Barnstorming in Oregon with Senator Hatfield

February 12-14: Barnstorming and fundraising in California

February 15: Barnstorming in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Governor Scranton also condemns Vice President Nixon's attempt to have Governor Romney removed from the ballots.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 02:35:32 PM »

William Scranton Radio Ad

Running in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and California

Narrator: "Our nation is at a turning point. Our cities have turned into chaos. Cities that the Johnson administration can't save. Our federal government is spending more than needed. Spending the Johnson administration refuses to cut. Our sons, nephews, and grandsons risk their lives fighting a needless war. A war that the Johnson administration has proved incapable of ending. It is time for new leadership.

America needs not just a leader capable of running the nation, but an experienced leader who can face the issues in our nation. William Scranton will save our cities, cut federal spending, and end the Vietnam War. William Scranton is that capable and experienced leader. Vote for William Scranton."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »

Governor Scranton applies for the ballot in Ohio.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-February 16 to March 12

February 16: Rally and fundraiser in Harrisburg with Senator Scott

February 17-19: Barnstorming in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

February 20-21: Barnstorming and fundraising in Massachusetts and Connecticut with Governor Volpe and Senator Bush

February 22-25: Barnstorming in New Hampshire

February 25-26: Rallies in Concord, Nashua, Manchester and Portsmouth, New Hampshire

February 27: Rally in Lansing, Michigan, where the endorsement of Senator Robert P. Griffin of Michigan is announced

Excerpt from Griffin's speech: "This administration has failed to look out for the working class of America, those who keep our nation going. Governor Scranton has shown to be looking out for the working man, and so he has my endorsement for President!"

February 28-March 1: Barnstorming in Michigan and Ohio with Senator Griffin

March 2: Rally in Peoria, Illinois, where the endorsement of Senator Charles Percy of Illinois is announced

Excerpt from Percy's speech: "Four years ago, our party suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of President Johnson. But now is a new day, and we cannot make the mistakes of four years ago. Now it is not the time for another conservative. Now is the time for a man like President Eisenhower to take the reins. A man who's a proven leader, and a man with a good reputation both in and out of public service. William Scranton has shown himself to be that man which is why I am endorsing him for President!"

March 2-5: Barnstorming and fundraising in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ohio with Senators Percy and Griffin

March 5-6: Barnstorming and fundraising in California

March 7: Rallies in San Diego, Bakersfield, and Sacramento

March 8: Rally and fundraiser in Portland, Oregon

March 9: Barnstorming in New Jersey

March 10: Barnstorming in New Hampshire, and rallies in Concord and Nashua

March 11: Rallies in Scranton and Erie, Pennsylvania

March 11-12: Barnstorming in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »

Governor Scranton agrees to Senator Case's request for a debate.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 06:00:30 PM »

William Scranton Debate Answers

Opening Statements:

“First off, I would like to thank the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for agreeing to host this debate. Our nation is at a turning point and a choice needs to be made: A choice for four more years of reckless leadership, or a choice for experienced leadership. A choice for radical leadership or a choice for a moderate to take the helm. If the last election and the last four years have showed anything, it’s that the American people want a new voice. I am that moderate, experienced voice, and that is why I am the best candidate for President.”

Governor, you are up against three standing Senators and one former Senator who was the Party's nominee last year and many say that compared to Senators, Governors don't have the experience necessary to be President. How do you deflect the accusations that you aren't experienced enough?

“The Constitution says that the President is in charge of the Executive Branch. I am the only candidate on this stage with any executive experience. This does not make me unqualified. Instead, my experience serving as Governor of Pennsylvania makes me the best candidate for President because I already have the experience in running a branch of government. My opponents, who have no executive experience, will have to learn on the job, and these are far too troubling times for a candidate to have to learn how to run a branch of government while they are doing it.”

As you know, Congress recently voted to repeal the requirement for a gold reserve to back the US Currency. What is your reaction to such a vote and how would you handle the Economy and the US Currency due to the situation that is likely to follow?

“The United States’ gold reserves have been steadily depleting for years now while other countries have been able to increase their gold reserves. This is a necessary move to help the U.S. economy compete with other nations around the world.  As President, I will do what is necessary to ensure that the United States economy is a strong and prosperous one.”

As you know, the protest in Grosvenor Square ended hooribly with 91 injured and 200 arrested. What is the reaction of this from each of you and do you think the situation should've been handled better? and how?

“I am disturbed by the actions of both sides of the protest. Peaceful protest is one of the most fundamental rights in a democracy. But the blame cannot be placed on only one side. The protestors should have remained peaceful throughout, not succumbing to violence and the police should not have responded the way they did. The violence we saw there is something that would be found in the Soviet Union, or in Mao’s China, not in a democracy and especially not in a trusted ally such as Britain. I urge that all protests remain peaceful in the future, and I urge authorities all over the world to not respond to protests with such brutal measures.”

As you can see, New York Senator Robert Kennedy is currently leading the Democratic Field and he has the same following that his late Brother had in his Presidency, even being able to increase the chances of a Democratic Victory of November thus far despite President Johnson having a low approval rating. How will you deal with Kennedy's apparent cult of personality?

“While Senator Kennedy certainly has a strong base of support, that support is based solely on who he is and what his name is. His support isn’t because of any policy positions or ideas on how to improve America. At the end of the day, he will give America the same old Democratic ideas that are responsible for the problems facing our nation in the first place. I am the candidate with the ideas to help America right its course, and I am the candidate who will ensure that America remains a strong and respected nation around the world while also looking out for our own citizens.”

In a few days, this state, the state of Wisconsin, will hold its primary for the Republican Party, as well as the Caucuses from Minnesota and Michigan. Seeing as this is your last real chance to appeal to the citizens of all three states, state your case as to why these states and their delegates should go to you.

“My home state of Pennsylvania is very similar to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. Pennsylvania is home to many working class families, families much like the ones in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. Pennsylvania is home to many factories and manufacturing businesses, much like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. To the people of Wisconsin,  Minnesota, and Michigan, I say this: When I was governor, I heard from many people about the struggles they faced, struggles that many of you may be facing right now. I heard from business leaders ideas on how to improve Pennsylvania’s economy, ideas you may want to see. I heard from workers on how I could help their jobs, jobs that you want to have. I have heard from unions who want to improve the workspace, workspaces you want improved Your states are full of working class families trying to make a living, full of businesses who want to employ workers and help improve your economies, and full of unions helping the working man. When I was governor, I listened to those people and made sure those people were heard. To the people of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan, I will listen to you, and I will make sure that you are heard under a Scranton administration.”

Closing Statements:

"Once again, I would like to thank the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse for hosting us tonight, and I would like to thank Walter Cronkite for moderating. To the people of Wisconsin, on April 2, you will have a choice to make and the choice is clear: If you want a candidate who has the experience necessary to be President, a candidate who has stood up for the working class, a candidate who will make sure you are heard, then I ask for your support. Thank you.”
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »

William Scranton Campaign Schedule-March 13 to April 2

March 13: Rallies in Lansing, Michigan, and Green Bay, Wisconsin

March 14-17: Barnstorming and fundraising in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota

March 18: Rally in Des Moines, Iowa, where the endorsement of Senator Bourke B. Hickenlooper of Iowa is announced

Excerpt from Hickenlooper's speech: "William Scranton is the type of leader this country needs. A man who will look out for the working man, a man who can fix the economy, and a man who will look out for our interests overseas. He has my complete support for President!"

March 19-23: Barnstorming and fundraising in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio with Senators Percy, Griffin, and Hickenlooper

March 23: Rallies in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Allentown, Pennsylvania with Senator Scott

March 24-25: Debate prep

March 25-26: Barnstorming and fundraising in New York and Connecticut with Senator Bush

March 27: Rally in Springfield, Massachusetts, where the endorsement of Former Senator Leverett Saltonstall of Massachusetts in announced

Excerpt from Saltonstall's speech: "With the chaos in our nation, we need a strong leader to guide our nation through these troubling times and back to stability. There is only one candidate who can do that, and so William Scranton has my full and complete support!"

March 27-28: Barnstorming in Massachusetts with Senator Saltonstall and Governor Volpe

March 29: Debate prep

March 30: Debate

March 31-April 2: Barnstorming and fundraising in Michigan and Wisconsin
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »

"If I may also add something in response to Governor Scranton's answer I find it to be reckless and irresponsible to suddenly compare one of our most trusted allies on the international front as the Soviet Union or Mao. Such a comparison truly should be concerning as to how Scranton would engage in foreign policy if he is willing to create such disgusting comparisons of Britain who we have worked alongside with for decades. We do not need a President who is impulsive with issues relating to foreign affairs. We need a President who will approach these issues with care and that's exactly what I will offer in comparison."

"Senator, a good leader must be willing to not only call out our enemies, but a good leader must also call out our friends when they are wrong. We have condemned our friends before. I saw the citizens and police of Britain doing nothing more than endangering the right to free protest, and I felt it necessary to condemn the violence, and while approaching issues is care is good sentiment, leaders have to be ready to make split-second decisions where taking care won't help. Are you ready to have to make a split-second decision?

Additionally, if you cannot condemn our ally when their citizens threaten fundamental rights, how can we trust you to condemn the Soviet Union or Mao's China when they threaten fundamental rights? How can we trust you to stand up to the Soviet Union and China at all?"
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »

William Scranton Radio Ad #2

Running in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania

Narrator: The working class is the backbone of America. They're the economic strength of America, working every day to do their part. As Governor, William Scranton proved to be a leader who supported the working class. He will continue to do so as President of the United States. Vote for William Scranton."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »

Wiliam Scranton Speech-Wisconsin Primary

"While we did not come in first tonight, we still came within a point and a half of winning, and even a small victory matters. That we came so close shows that our message is starting to resonate across this country! It shows that the people are looking for experienced leadership in these troubling times, and we can deliver what the people are looking for! Onto Pennsylvania and the primaries to follow!"
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »

William Scranton Withdrawal Speech

"After discussing the matter with my family and advisors, I can no longer see a path forward to the nomination. Thus, I am announcing my withdrawal from the Republican Primaries and I am announcing my endorsement of Senator Clifford Case for President."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies