Yankee Values vs. Identity Politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Yankee Values vs. Identity Politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yankee Values vs. Identity Politics  (Read 5935 times)
Mechavada
The News

« on: September 15, 2018, 03:10:35 AM »

I have to have a good laugh at this whole rant about "Yankee values".  Now, I do agree that there is a lot wrong with the state of "Identity Politics" but coming up with a whole new term to describe what to most people should be objectively good things and then labeling it "Yankee values" and arguing that just one brave group of people are responsible for the success of it all?

How is that not Identity Politics, man?
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 07:39:38 PM »

The Federalists were not great egalitarians. I have to agree with North Carolina Traitor on this one. Wink

How am I traitor. Tongue

I am a carpetbagger, not a traitor.

Because you have Yankee in your username yet have made the post most critical of "Yankee" identity.

Well unlike the caricature created by Lost causers and for some reason embraced by left wing revisionists of yankees seeing themselves as pure and noble champions of all that is good in history, I prefer a more realistic and honest approach that demonstrates that far from being a 400 year old champion of "egalitarianism" they were in fact during the period in question a dominant political force and establishment in terms of politics, economics, religion and culture and went to great lengths to "conserve" that power dynamic, but did happen to get it right once because of varying motives ranging from noble, to self interested, to cultural supremacy and that of course being abolitionism.

Understanding that myriad of motivations as well as understanding the power dynamic of the 19th century is critical to an accurate understanding of the period, and also to appreciating the impact that power has on people in positions of strength in terms of corrupting them and also the impact that one's placement in an inferior positions relatively speaking can thus be impacted differently.

I am sure the Catholic immigrant slaving in the coal mines reveled in this reactionaryism as he fought for the right to unionize against the fat Yankee WASP swimming in robber baron cash.

Its times like this I miss Mechaman, who being if memory serves me Irish and very left wing would eat Henry for lunch in these discussions.

He certainly had no patience for this glorification of Hamilton and the Federalists as "liberals" and posted a thread that literally nuked this conceptualization.

Mechaman would do that.  If Mechaman at all took HenryWallace seriously.
Mechavada
The News

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:01:56 PM »

The Federalists were not great egalitarians. I have to agree with North Carolina Traitor on this one. Wink

How am I traitor. Tongue

I am a carpetbagger, not a traitor.

Because you have Yankee in your username yet have made the post most critical of "Yankee" identity.

Well unlike the caricature created by Lost causers and for some reason embraced by left wing revisionists of yankees seeing themselves as pure and noble champions of all that is good in history, I prefer a more realistic and honest approach that demonstrates that far from being a 400 year old champion of "egalitarianism" they were in fact during the period in question a dominant political force and establishment in terms of politics, economics, religion and culture and went to great lengths to "conserve" that power dynamic, but did happen to get it right once because of varying motives ranging from noble, to self interested, to cultural supremacy and that of course being abolitionism.

Understanding that myriad of motivations as well as understanding the power dynamic of the 19th century is critical to an accurate understanding of the period, and also to appreciating the impact that power has on people in positions of strength in terms of corrupting them and also the impact that one's placement in an inferior positions relatively speaking can thus be impacted differently.

I am sure the Catholic immigrant slaving in the coal mines reveled in this reactionaryism as he fought for the right to unionize against the fat Yankee WASP swimming in robber baron cash.

Its times like this I miss Mechaman, who being if memory serves me Irish and very left wing would eat Henry for lunch in these discussions.

He certainly had no patience for this glorification of Hamilton and the Federalists as "liberals" and posted a thread that literally nuked this conceptualization.

Mechaman would do that.  If Mechaman at all took HenryWallace seriously.

Are you somehow related to Mechaman? Asking because of the similar display name.

This is he.  And I have no interest in discussing things with an ignorant bigoted buffoon like you.  I could go all day about how historic things like anti-Irish prejudice is among Europeans, the Penal Laws, etc that would demolish your pathetic sense of Protestant superiority but I'm not.  Reading your posts educates me on how a black person must feel when reading people defending the Confederacy.

Have a nice day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies