opinion of the death penalty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:04:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinion of the death penalty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: opinion of the death penalty
support it for mundane things like murder and treason

support it only in extreme circumstances

I'm proudly against the death penalty...right up until someone in a profession I don't like does something horrible or someone I disagree with politically does something horrible, then I'm all for it...don't even need to use the courts

I'm against it in all cases, forever and ever and amen (but I probably don't really mean it)

I'm against it in all cases

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 120

Author Topic: opinion of the death penalty  (Read 5831 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2018, 10:24:03 PM »

inspiration
I'm all for skipping the trial and going right to the death penalty.
you don't seem like the pro death penalty type.

I'm not normally, but this is a cop shooting a civilian for no reason. Due Process in particular shouldn't apply.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »

I used to oppose it entirely, though I've been sort of reconsidering the issue a bit in the last couple years. I voted only in extreme circumstances under the idea that I'd only really support it when it's necessary to protect the public safety (i.e. basically never in the first world), though I have some gnawing doubts about opposing it in principle. I've developed a newfound respect for the need for retributive justice and I'm not quite sure how to synthesize it into my views on the subject.

Still clearly oppose it in practice in the US though and  probably anywhere the victims' families' views are taken into account. If the death penalty is ever morally justifiable, it certainly cannot be whenever the desire for revenge has a way of creeping in.
ChelseaT
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »

I'm fully against the death penalty. There's no reason for it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »

I'm against it in all cases. Just look at how many on death row have been exonerated, some after execution. We can't take that risk.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »

Only hitler, stalin, pol pot types.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »

The death penalty should never be used in any circumstance.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »

Support for the more egregious murder and sexual abuse cases. E.g. Serial killers, child rapists and the like.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »

Support for the more egregious murder and sexual abuse cases. E.g. Serial killers, child rapists and the like.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »

for something like terrorist bombings or treason i could see it
mencken
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »

Let the victim's estate decide.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »

I'm against the death penalty because it should have no place in a civilized country. And you never know; if one innocent man or woman gets executed, it's one too much. Personally, there are some cruel people my emotions tell me I wanted them to get the death penalty, such as the Paris terrorists. I would - probably - also favor it for someone doing severe harm to a family member or a close friend. However, under the rule of law, this should have no place.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:28:13 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qisas
mencken
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »

A broken clock is right twice a day.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:45:11 PM »

I'm opposed to the death penalty as were I in charge of it I'd probably put nearly everybody to death.  No individual, no group of people and no state should have that power.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 10:37:56 PM »

I'm opposed to the death penalty as were I in charge of it I'd probably put nearly everybody to death.  No individual, no group of people and no state should have that power.
this is a disturbingly common sentiment from left leaning types, it's probably why you guys can never get communism to work.  (well that and all the other reasons, but the murder part certainly doesn't help!)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 06:22:33 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2018, 06:32:28 AM by 136or142 »

I'm opposed to the death penalty as were I in charge of it I'd probably put nearly everybody to death.  No individual, no group of people and no state should have that power.
this is a disturbingly common sentiment from left leaning types, it's probably why you guys can never get communism to work.  (well that and all the other reasons, but the murder part certainly doesn't help!)

1.I have no idea what you mean.

2.The vast majority of 'left leaning types' are not communist just as most right leaning types are not Randians who want to go down the real Road to Serfdom (except for most U.S right leaning types these days.)
ABTars2000
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 05:35:13 PM »

Against in all situations.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »

The problem with the death penalty is two-fold.  First, is that it takes too long to actually be implemented in this country to be an effective form of punishment, regardless of what theory one holds of the role of punishment in the penal system should be. The second as mentioned is what to do if the accused is later shown to not actually be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

That second objection really applies to far more than just death penalty cases. Frankly, rather than treating public defense as the afterthought that it is usually treated, the public defense office should receive at least as much funding as public prosecution does. That's how that issue should be addressed, not using it as an excuse for eliminating the death penalty.

Similarly, the first is often a problem because the overly complex scheme that governs the handling of death penalty cases. A lot would be simpler if SCOTUS didn't have a history of misinterpreting the Eighth Amendment, which was intended to keep the judiciary from imposing excessive punishments, as being primarily intended to apply to the legislative branch. "Excessive" is a subjective opinion, not an objective one, and as such it should be within the legislative mandate to decide what is excessive, not a judicial mandate based on the claptrap of an "evolving standard".  Woodson v. North Carolina and Roberts v. Louisiana - the two of the July 2 Cases concerning automatic sentences for certain crimes - were wrongly decided in my opinion. If those sentences had been allowed to stand, then it would be a lot simpler to decide capital punishment cases in this country.

As for what crimes, treason and attempted first degree murder are the ones that have the death penalty. (Why should people get a lesser sentence because they weren't competent in their intentional effort to kill someone?)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »

Givin' me a Monday afternoon headache with these poll options (cutting back on coffee, too), but I support the death penalty in "certain cases" that should be left up to the judge.  For example, nothing less than first degree murder or some benchmark for serial sexual assault of children (I'll leave that to the experts) to even consider it and then have a process to decide if it's warranted.  We should use it far less than we do, but the arguments against it don't gain a lot of ground with me.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 05:12:50 PM »

Oppose in all but cases of mass murder or genocide.  Then you must prove they had a major part in the plot.  Then hang them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »

for something like terrorist bombings or treason i could see it
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 05:32:24 PM »

So yeah. Terrorism that results in a substantial number of deaths, hate crimes resulting in a substantial number of deaths (gassings and camps and so on), and treason that directly "but for" it many people would still be alive.

It should be done by public hanging.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

I know I'm a minority on this issue but I support it and my support does not come from the belief that it serves as a deterrent.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies