Stormin Norman In 96
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Stormin Norman In 96
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stormin Norman In 96  (Read 8748 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2005, 12:03:15 PM »
« edited: August 06, 2006, 11:44:54 AM by Kevin »

Hey everybody Im starting a Norman Schwarzkopf vs. Bill Cintion in 96 story would anybody mind helping me create it please?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:05:37 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2005, 09:21:27 AM by Winfield »

It is January of 1995.

The Republicans are encouraged by their successes in the 1994 mid-term elections, and are looking to field the strongest candidate they can against President Bill Clinton for the Presidential election in 1996.

President Bill Clinton has made several stumbles during his first term, and the Republican Party sees an opportunity to take back the White House.  The health care reform initiative, which was headed by First Lady Hillary Clinton, turned into an abysmal failure, and was rejected by Congress. 

In 1994, the Republicans focused the mid-year elections on the Clinton Presidency, and the Republicans were elected to majorities in both the Senate and in the House of Representatives, giving them control of both houses of Congress for the first time since 1955.

By mid 1995, several Republicans had expressed an interest in the nomination, or were already actively seeking the nomination.  These included Lamar Alexander, former Governor of Tennessee, Pat Buchanan, television political commentator, Bob Dole, Senator from Kansas and Senate Majority Leader, Robert Dornan, Congressman from California, Steve Forbes, editor of Forbes Magazine, Phil Gramm, Senator from Texas, Alan Keyes, radio commentator, Richard Lugar, Senator from Indiana, Arlen Specter, Senator from Pennsylvania, and Morry Taylor, Ohio tire magnate.   

President Clinton is viewed as a relatively weak incumbent, and the Republicans look forward to the campaign.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »

On the Democratic side, the re-nomination of President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore is not in question.

There is a trivial challenge to Clinton for the nomination from actor and comedian Pat Paulsen, which is  dismissed by the Democrats as nothing more than a publicity stunt.  Paulsen was a candidate for the Republican nomination in 1972 and 1976, and was dismissed by the GOP as a mild annoyance.

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:18:57 PM »

I like your story so far.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 09:20:32 AM »

Thanks.

I am first setting some background leading up to the primaries, the conventioins, and the campaign.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »

Ten months have elapsed.  It is now November, 1995.  Many in the Republican Party are not completely happy with the GOP field of candidates so far. 

Many in the party would like to have seen General Colin Powell, former National Security Advisor and former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as a candidate for the GOP nomination, however, on November 8, 1995, General Powell announced that he would not seek the nomination.

A group of influential Republicans, led by former Navy Captain and now Arizona Senator John McCain,  concerned the field of GOP candidates was not sufficiently strong to win in the general election a year from now, had set their sights on another General, someone who they believed could rally America, someone who they believed could inspire the nation to greatness once again, someone who they knew had the moral character to restore dignity and respectability to the oval office, General Norman Schwarzkopf, "Stormin' Norman," Vietnam war hero, former Army Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations at the Pentagon, former Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Central Command, hero of the Gulf War.  General Schwarzkopf was a visible presence to the American public during the Gulf War, giving daily briefings on the progress of operations.

Not since General Dwight Eisenhower has a military man won the affection of the American public the way General Norman Schwrzkopf has. 

But the big question at this point in time is, would Senator McCain be successful in persuading the very visible and very popular military man back into the public domain, to do political battle, to win the hearts and minds of Americans.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:35:56 AM »

I really like your story so far keep it up! 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:48:36 AM »

Former PA Governor Bob Casey was considering a challenge to Clinton.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »

If he had challaged Clintion in the primaries Clintion would have completley hammered him.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 02:31:52 PM »

A month has passed.  It is December, 1995.  There has been much behind the scenes discussions going on in Republican circles considering the viability of a Schwarzkopf candidacy.

There has been talk going on around for months that many Republicans were not happy with the current slate of potential nominees.  This was now becomiong more and more widely known amongst the public.

It was as well known that Republicans across the country, not just party leaders and elected officials, but rank and file members as well, were giving serious consideration to a potential Schwarzkopf candidacy.  The idea had been talked about for some time, and was given increased viability and credibility after a speech given by Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell in Lexington on November 23, 1995, in which he expressed the need at this time in America for "a President who will show strong and decisive leadership, a President who has the moral character and the integrity to back up America's role in the world.  America would be well served indeed with a President such as General Norman Schwarzkopf."

A crucial decision was made.  On December 18, 1995, a delegation led by Senator John McCain of Arizona, and accompanied by Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, and Governor John Engler of Michigan, flew to Florida to meet with the retired General, to discuss his potential candidacy for the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

The day before their departure, this delegation met in Senator McCain's Senate office to discuss final details for their meeting with the retired General.  They had received feed back from across the country in the matter, and wanted to ensure that General Schwarzkopf was presented with the fact that there was significant support in the party and in the country for his candidacy.       

Time was crucial.  The first caucuses and primaries were slated to take place in one and two months.  It was now or never.

This four person delegation set out from Washington on a cold, blustery, winter morning, and arrived early afternoon into the bright Florida sunshine for the meeting that would ultimately decide if the General was open to the rigors and challenges of a Presidential nomination campaign, and if sucessful in this, to the rough and tumble of the Presidential campaign itself.

Their meeting would begin early the next morning.   

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 05:27:59 PM »

This is a very interesting story keep it up!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 07:12:55 PM »

December 19, 1995, the meeting between the delegation and the General is held.

The meeting starts at 8:00 A.M., breaks for lunch for an hour, then continues on until 5:00 in the afternoon.  There is a dinner break for an hour, then the meeting goes on until 9:00 in the evening.

There is much to discuss, many questions and answers, and many details to cover.

The four seasoned veterans of political battles tell the seasoned veteran of combat that they sense in the country a desire for strong and moral leadership, and a desire amongst the population for a man of integrity and courage leading the nation.  The bottom line is, as has been known for some time now, there is considerable support both in the party and in the country, for a Schwarzkopf candidacy. 

Senator McCain gets right to the point early on when he says, "General, the purpose of this meeting is to formally extend to you one more call to duty, to declare your candidacy for the Presidency of the United States."

The General, in fact, has been considering this matter for awhile now, due to the fact that this has been discussed openly in the public domain for the past several months.  He knows he must make a public announcement one way or the other soon, to lay all speculation to rest.

"This is not an easy decision, and that is certainly understating it," the General tells the Senators and the Governor.  "Thank you for this most informative discussion.  It has helped me greatly in making my final decision.  I am going to spend Christmas and New Years with my family, and besides enjoying the Christmas season, we will be discussing the Presidential matter amongst ourselves.  I will be making a formal announcement on my Presidential decision early in the new year, and you will be the first ones, aside from my family, who will be advised of my decision, before the public announcement is made.  I trust you and your loved ones will have a most enjoyable Christmas season."

Christmas and New Year came and went.  It was Tuesday, January 2, 1996.  True to his word, the General made, what seemed like at least, the long awaited call, to Senator McCain.                     
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 07:25:21 PM »

This is one of the best stories Ive ever read I literally can't wait to read more.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 09:36:55 PM »

The phone rings at 7:00 in the morning at the McCain home on Tuesday, January 2, 1996.

The Senator answers and hears on the other end of the line that firm, distinctive voice of the General, "Good morning, Senator."  "Good morning, General," replied the Senator.  The General continues, "as you know, I believe in getting an early start to the day.  I trust you and yours enjoyed the holiday season."  "Very much so," replied the Senator, and I trust you and your family did likewise."  "Yes," came the reply from the General, "although this year we had that extra item on our Christmas plates, you know, that matter about the Presidency."  "I know indeed," replied the Senator.

"Senator, after that most enlightening meeting with yourself, the other Senators, and the Governor in December, and after very in depth discussions with my family, I have made a decision, and, like I said, you are the first to know outside of my own family.  Please advise Senators Snowe and McConnell and Governor Engler of this decision after we have finished our conversation, and please pass on my best wishes and kindest regards to each of them as well."  "I certainly will," replied the Senator.

"I have been through many battles and military campaigns, Senator, and have been called upon many, many times to make tough decisions, sometimes decisions made after much thought and planning, sometimes decisions that had to be made very quickly, decisions where lives were at stake, decisions made in consultation with others, and sometimes decisions that had to be made by myself, alone, the loneliest decisions of all, decisions no one else could make, because I was the one in charge."

"I can tell you, Senator, that this decision, whether or not to run for President, was the toughest decision I have ever made in my life.  I had the crucial and invaluable input of yourself, Senator Snowe, Senator McConnell, and Governor Engler, and the very valued thoughts of my family.  In the end, though, it was a decision I had to make, alone, in the solitude of my own mind."

"The President must make decisions every day, sometimes decisons of life and death.  This has weighed heavily on my mind.  Nothing is more valuable than human life."

"I have made another decision, that as President, I can work for the betterment of human life, human life in America, and human life around the world.  Therefore, I will be announcing my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States of America, on Monday, January 8, 1996."

"That is truly wonderful news," replied the Senator.  "I will be advising my colleagues right away."

"That is, I will be announcing my candidacy for President," said the General, on one condition.........."                     
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 10:41:26 PM »

If he had challaged Clintion in the primaries Clintion would have completley hammered him.

Clinton would have won, but he would be damaged.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 05:59:04 PM »

I have to agree with you on that J.J. Also keep up this great story Winfield.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 07:58:24 PM »

The discussion between the General and the Senator continues

"One one condition?"  asked the Senator, "and what would that be?"

"John," replied the General, "I will need by my side during the campaign, a top notch running mate, and, if elected President, a Vice President in whom I have complete confidence.  You have a most impressive military record, and congressional record, both on the domestic and foreign policy fronts.  I will need an experienced legislator, one who commands the respect of their colleagues.  Most important of all, John, I will want to have a Vice President who, if anything should happen to the President, I know that individual can assume the office of President, and be capable of leading the nation.  I will never choose a Vice Presidential candidate based on regional balance, or political labels.  The Vice President has to be someone who can actually be President.  The nation cannot afford to have it any other way.  I want you to be my Vice Presidential candidate.  I don't expect your answer today, of course, give it some thought, discuss it with your wife, and get back to me as soon as possible."

"I am indeed honored, General, by your confidence, and by your most generous offer," replied the Senator.  I will give it some thought, discuss it with my wife, and give you my answer tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, John," replied the General.  I'll look forward to your call bright and early tomorrow morning.  Look at it as a call to duty, soldier," said the General, half jokingly.

January 3, 1996, the Senator calls the General, 7:00 A.M.

"Good morning, General." said the Senator.  "Good morning, Senator.  Did you get any sleep last night?" came the reply.  "Not much.  General, I have thought about your most generous offer, and have discussed the matter in great detail with my wife, and I would be honored to serve as your Vice Presidential candidate."

"Great, wonderful news," said the General.  "I will be making the announcement at the appropriate time, a bit down the road."

"I will call Senators Snowe and McConnell and Governor Engler this morning, and advise them that  you will be announcing your candidacy on January 8," said the Senator.

Everything was a go.  The stage was now set for the announcement on January 8, 1996 of the Schwarakopf candidacy.         
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 08:06:41 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2005, 01:04:47 PM by Kevin »

Your doing great keep it up!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2005, 02:08:41 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2005, 05:45:03 PM by Winfield »

Monday, January 8, 1996, 7:30 P.M., Washington DC.

The announcement from General Schwarzkopf was well scheduled and planned for prime time.  All the networks were there to cover it, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN.

A huge crowd had gathered for the event.  Patriotic band music, provided by a combined marines, army, navy, air force military band, filled the air.  The stars and stripes lined the stage.  The mood was upbeat.  The crowd was excited and enthusiastic.

"SCHWARZKOPF FOR PRESIDENT" signs were everywhere.

The meeting was called to order with the singing of the national anthem.

The master of ceremonies for the event was Senator Kit Bond of Missouri. He announced the guests as they walked up to the stage.  Cheers went up from the audience as the guests were announced.  "Ladies and gentlemen," announced Senator Bond, "President and Mrs. Gerald Ford."  "President and Mrs. George H.W. Bush."  "General and Mrs. Colin Powell."  "Secretary and Mrs. Dick Cheney."

Thirty two Republican Senators and eighteen Republican Governors were announced and joined the others on the stage.

It was announced as well that there were 154 Republican members of the United States House of Representatives in attendance, as well as a host of former cabinet secretaries and officials from past Republican administrations.

Three impassioned, but short, speeches, were delivered introducing General Schwarzkopf, while he awaited to make his entrance.

The first speech was delivered by Senator Alfonse D'Amato of New York, introducing the General as "a man of courage and conviction."

The second speech was delivered by Senator Nancy Landon Kassebaum of Kansas, speaking of "this man's compassion for those less fortunate, and his deep respect for life." 

The third speech was delivered by former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, stating, " I have had the priviliege of working alongside General Schwarzkopf, and I know of his absolute commitment to America and to the cause of freedom, at home and around the world."

At 8:00 P.M. sharp, Senator Kit Bond took the microphone, announcing, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I GIVE YOU THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, GENERAL NORMAN SCHWARZKOPF!"

The band struck up a rousing rendition of the Marine Anthem.  The patriotic strains of "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli" filled the air, and the air waves.

The crowd erupted into wild cheering and clapping, and began chanting "SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF!"

General Schwarzkopf made his entrance from the back of the huge hall, bodyguards coming before and after him.  The General was working his way slowly through the wildly enthusiastic throng, past the numerous news reporters, each one trying to get a microphone in front of the General, hoping to get some comments.  The General kept working his way slowly, deliberately, toward the stage, shaking as many hands as he could reach.

The General walked up the stairs to the stage, where his family was waiting.  The General was waving and smiling to the crowd, and, he knew, to the millions across America viewing this event on live television.  He was looking tanned and fit.  He looked very Presidential in his blue business suit with an American flag lapel pin, his white dress shirt, and his red tie.

"Thank you, thank you," said the General, trying to be heard above the cheering throng, motioning the crowd to let him speak.  But the cheers, the sign waving, and the chanting went on and on.

"SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF!"  chanted the crowd, over and over and over again. 

Finally, after five straight minutes of enthusiastic demonstrations, the General began his speech. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, friends, distinguished guests, and most of all, my fellow Americans, I am here today to officially announce my candidacy for the Republican Presidential nomination for PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!"

The crowd erupted again with cheering and chanting.  When the demonstrations subsided after three straight minutes, the General continued.

After a solid thirty minute speech outlining his goals, both domestic and foreign, the General concluded with these ramarks.

"On the outbreak of the Gulf War, I asked my principle staff to meet me in the war room down in the basement, a half an hour before "H hour."  And I had written a message to all the forces, and what I did is I assembled them in there and I read them the message...And then I asked the chaplain to say a prayer, and then I played "God Bless the USA."  I think it characterised the pride that all of us have in our profession, and in what we were, and there's a line in there that says "I would proudly stand next to you, and defend her still today," and that's what it was all about.  And I said, "Now, we all know what we need to do.  Now let's get on with it."

"The same is true for the campaign that we are about to wage.  Let's get on with it!" 

(parts of the Schwarzkopf speech taken from an interview held with the General)   

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2005, 06:22:54 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2005, 08:08:26 PM by Kevin »

I really looking foreward to the next part!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 06:46:54 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2005, 08:31:43 PM by Winfield »

The official announcement was an exciting event, and a huge success.  

Money started rolling into the Schwarzkopf campaign.

There was no time to lose.  

The Iowa caucuses were set for Feb 12.  Schwarzkopf would not be on the ballot, but there would be a write-in campaign in behalf of the General.

Momentum was building in the party and in the country for the Schwarzkopf candidacy.  Polling taken after the official announcement showed Schwarzkopf out distancing all other potential nominees for the Republican nomination. 

Indeed, polling showed as well General Schwarzkopf moving ahead of President Clinton by a margin of 52% to 48%.  Polling taken before the official announcement showed Clinton leading Schwarzkopf by a margin of 53% to 47%.   

The early strength of the Schwarzkopf candidacy made the decision to withdraw from the race easy for some of the announced contenders.  Lamar Alexander, former Governor of Tennessee, Congressman Robert Dornan of California, Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana, and Senator Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, all announced their withdrawal from the race within two weeks of the Schwarzkopf announcement, and all threw their support behind the General.  Schwarzkopf thanked each one of these former candidates personally, and welcomed their support "in all humility."

This left in the race only Senator Robert Dole of Kansas, Pat Buchanan, television political commentator, Steve Forbes, editor of Forbes Magazine, Alan Keyes, radio commentator, and Morry Taylor, Ohio tire magnate.

This left as the only serious opposition to Schwarzkopf Senator Dole.  The others were considered as fringe candidates at best.

Plans were going just the way the Schwarzkopf campaign was hoping.  They wanted to secure the nomination as early as possible, and with as little division in the party as possible.  They knew they would be facing an incumbent President and a united Democratic Party.  In 1996, to have a good shot at victory, the Republican Party could not afford to tear itself apart in a bitter primary battle.  

Senator Dole opted to stay in the race at least through New Hampshire, to see how things would turn out.  He had, after all, invested a great deal of his life in seeking the Presidency.  He felt he owed it to his many supporters who had worked so hard over such a long period of time.  General Schwarzkopf stated publicly that Senator Dole was doing "absolutely the right thing, and I fully respect his decision."  

February 12, Iowa caucuses
Schwarzkopf, write in 62%
Dole                            34%
Others                          4%

February 20, New Hampshire primary
Schwarzkopf                71%
Dole                             26%
Others                           3%

February 20, Senator Dole withdraws from the race, and throws his support behind Schwarzkopf.  "If it wasn't clear before, it certainly is now," says Dole.  "The Republican Party wants General Schwarzkopf, and America wants General Schwarzkopf, and now, I want General Schwarzkopf, to be my President," said Dole at his campaign headquarters on the night of the New Hampshire primary.

Besides Dole, and facing the obvious, Malcolm Forbes, Alan Keyes, and Morry Taylor as well announce their withdrawal from the race, and each of them pledges their support to Schwarzkopf.

The race for the Republican nomination was, for all intents and purposes, over, on February 20.

This left only Pat Buchanan in the race, mounting a token campaign of opposition to Schwarzkopf.  Nobody could persuade Buchanan to withdraw.

The Schwarzkopf campaign now turned their attention almost fully to the Presidential campaign.

Schwarzkopf goes on to win all the rest of the primaries and caucuses, with numbers ranging from 92% to 99%.

The General had been campaigning for the Presidency all year, now, with the primaries behind them, the Schwarzkopf campaign turned up the heat, so to speak, and began mounting an all out effort to win the Presidency of the United States.    

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 08:17:18 PM »

Now this is deflently the best story Ive ever read keep it up!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »

Monday, June 10, 1996, 10:00 A.M., the major event of the Schwarzkopf campaign since the official announcement in January, is held.

General Schwarzkopf will officially announce the selection of Senator John McCain of Arizona as his Vice Presidential running mate.

All the networks are there to cover this event live.

The campaign makes the decision to hold this event in heavily Democratic Pittsburgh, in the curcial battleground state of Pennsylvania.  This will demonstrate to the country that the Schwarzkopf campaign is taking the battle to every part of America, and that they will not be conceding any region or state without a fight.

This is an outdoor event, and fortunately, the day is bright and sunny.  A huge crowd, estimated at 150,000, has gathered for this big announcement.  The campaign has kept the choice of Senator McCain as the running mate as a closely guarded secret.  Only Schwarzkopf, McCain, some family members, and top level campaign officials, knew who the Vice Presidential nominee would be.  Senator McCain and his wife await their introduction in a campaign bus about two hundred yards from the stage.  Very few people know Senator and Mrs. McCain are in Pittsburgh that day. 

Patriotic music, provided by local high school bands from Pittsburgh, fills the air.  American flags are displayed prominently on the stage, and red, white, and blue balloons are disbributed to the thousands of children in attendance.  There is a festive mood in the air.  The crowd is swinging and swaying to the music.

There are no "SCHWARZKOPF FOR PRESIDENT" signs anywhere to be seen.  Instead, thousands of "SCHWARZKOPF MCCAIN 1996" signs are being held in truck trailers, to be distbitured by hundreds of volunteers to the crowd, to coincide with the announcement of McCain as the Vice Presidential nominee.

The Governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Ridge, introduces General Schwarzkopf, as "A man I am proud to introduce to you today, a man who knows the meaning of courage, a man who knows the meaning of leadership, and a man who is not afraid to lead.  Ladies and gentlemen, people across this great country, I give you THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, GENERAL NORMAN SCHWARZKOPF."

The introduction of General Schwarzkopf today is kept deliberately short and to one speaker, as this is to be John McCain's day.   

The huge crowd erupts in an enthusiastic display of cheering and chanting, "SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF, SCHWARZKOPF." 

General Schwarzkopf climbs the stairs to the stage, accompanied by the two Republican Senators from Pennsylvania, Senator Arlen Specter to his right, and Senator Rick Santorum to his left.  They join the other dignitaries on the stage.

General Schwarzkopf takes the podium, for the announcement the nation has been waiting to hear.

Wild cheering and chanting again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends, distinguished guests, MY FELLOW AMERICANS, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for this tremendous outpouring of support.  It means so much to me.  And a special thank you to all these beautiful children and to all these fine young men and young women who have come here today.  Thank you so very much."

" I am here today to announce to the nation the individual who I want by my side as our Vice Presidential candidate during this very tough campaign that lies ahead, and, if honored to become your President," again, cheering and chanting from the huge crowd, "the individual who I want by my side as Vice President of the United States."

"The choice of a Vice Presidential candidate is a very serious matter.  I did not choose a running mate based on regional concerns or ideological similarities or differences.  I CHOSE THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS THE ABILITY, THE CREDIBILITY, AND THE CREDENTIALS TO DO THE JOB.  MY FELLOW AMERICANS, IT IS MY GREAT HONOR TO INTRODUCE TO YOU A MAN OF UNCOMMON VALOUR, A MAN OF SCRUPULOUS INTEGRITY, A MAN OF IMMENSE ACCOMPLISHMENT, THE NEXT VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN OF ARIZONA!"

The bands strike up the patriotic naval tune "Anchors Aweigh," as Senator McCain and his wife make their way from the seclusion of the campaign bus, accompanied by body guards, entering from the side and walking along the front row of the huge crowd, reaching out to shake as many hands as they can along the way. 

Thousands of "SCHWARZKOPF MCCAIN 1996" signs are now appearing in the audience, being waved enthusiastically, as shouts of "MCCAIN, MCCAIN, MCCAIN," go up in a deafening roar from the huge crowd.   

The Senator and his wife walk up the stairs to the stage, waving and smiling to the crowd.  The General and the Senator embrace, and the General and the Senator's wife embrace.  The General and the Senator raise each other's arms as a symbol of victory, waving to the crowd with their free hands.  The shouts from the audience of "SCHWARZKOPF MCCAIN, SCHWARZKOPF MCCAIN, SCHWARZKOPF MCCAIN" go on and on.

Senator McCain takes the podium, motioning for the crowd to let him speak, but the demonstrations continue.  Finally, McCain is able to be heard above the crowd.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, my fellow Americans.  Your enthusiastic support has touched my wife and myself deeply.  Thank you so very much.  And thank you General for the tremendous opportunity and privilege you have afforded me in asking me to be the Vice Presidential nominee.  I AM HONORED TO SERVE ALONGSIDE SUCH A COURAGEOUS LEADER AND A GREAT AMERICAN AS YOURSELF."  Loud cheers from the audience.

McCain then proceeds for the next ten minutes to outline some of his values and beliefs, and some of the pressing issues, domestic and foreign, facing America.

He concludes, knowing as well that he is speaking to a live, nationwide audience, "And now, my fellow Americans, my fellow Americans all across this great nation, I ask you to join with us, join with us, and together, let's put General Norman Schwarzkopf in the White House!"

Patriotic band music again fills the air, the pumped up crowd again starts cheering and chanting, and the media rush to try to get some comment, any comment, from the candidates.  They have to settle with talking with Governor Ridge, and with Senators Specter and Santorum, however, as the candidates are now out meeting the public in the crowd, reaching out to meet as many people as they can, shaking hands, and thanking them for coming out.  The crowd is in a frenzy.  Everyone, it seems, is wanting to shake hands with the candidates.     

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 09:31:45 PM »

Now that the official announcement of McCain as the Vice Presidential nominee has been made, the campaign plan calls for some joint campaigning in key states.

Since January, 1996, General Schwarzkopf has been campaigning flat out in the primary and caucus states, not only for the purpose of the primaries, but directing his message to the nation as a whole.

From the period January to June, 1996, the General has campaigned in the following states

Iowa, New Hampshire, Delaware, Arizona, North Dakota, South Dakota, South Carolina, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, California, Nevada, Washington, Pennsylvania, DC, Indiana, North Carolina, Nebraska, West Virginia, Arkansas, Idaho, Kentucky, Alabama, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico. 

Although the Republican National Convention will not be held until August 12 - 15 in San Diego, at which time Schwarzkopf and McCain will be officially nominated as the GOP ticket, they are making several joint campaign appearances in several key states between mid June and mid August.

Schwarzkopf and McCain are making campaign appearances during this time period in the following states, not in this order, but in order of geographic proximity

Colorado, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washingon, West Virginia, Wisconsin.  These are all states won by Bill Clinton in 1992, and most of these states are states which the Republican campaign believe they have a good chance of picking up in 1996.  They realize the toughest of these states for them will be New Jersey and Washington, nonetheless, they have included them in this stage of the campaign.

In addition, the ticket is making a major campaign appearance on August 12 and another one on August 13, the first two days of the  Republican National convention.

On Monday, August 12, at noon, a huge rally is held in Orlando, Florida, the home state of General Schwarzkopf.  The crowd is estimated at 200,000.  The rally has all the hoopla and excitement that would be expected at an event of this magnitude, bands, patriotic music, balloons, flags, campaign signs, stirring speeches.  Both Senator McCain and General Schwarzkopf, speaking in that order, deliver impassioned speeches.  The cheering and the chanting are deafening.  The ticket gets a tremendous uplift from this outpouring of support and emotion from the people of the home state of the General.

The ticket wings its' way westward on the evening of Monday, August 12, to Phoenix, Arizona, the home state of Senator McCain, for the second of the home state rallys.

The rally is held on Tuesday, August 13, at noon.  The crowd at the rally in Phoenix is estimated at 300,000.  This rally, too, has all the excitement, hoopla, and drama of the Orlando rally.  The excitement and enthusiasm that the Schwarzkopf McCain ticket seems to be generating reaches a new level in Phoenix.  The noise, the enthusiasm, and the emotion of the crowd surpasses anything seen in the campaign to date, perhaps in any campaign to date.  In Phoenix, General Schwarzkopf speaks first, delivering an inspiring speech to the crowd and to the nation.  As this is the home state of Senator McCain, the General believes it is only right that the Senator be given the opportunity to be the final speaker at this rally.  Senator McCain delivers an impassioned, emotional, dramatic speech, a fitting conclusion to this dramatic event.

On the evening of Tuesday, August 13,  General Norman Schwarzkopf and Senator John McCain again wing their way westward, to San Diego, California, where they will accept the nomination of the Republican Party for President and for Vice President of the United States of America.   
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »

Keep it up it's very good!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies