Brazilian Election, 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:07:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Brazilian Election, 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Jair Bolsonaro

Ciro Gomes

Marina Silva

Fernando Haddad

Álvaro Dias

Geraldo Alckmin

João Amoêdo

Henrique Meirelles

Guilherme Boulos

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Brazilian Election, 2018  (Read 1475 times)
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 12:46:24 AM »

Flawless Beautiful Jair
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 05:55:39 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2018, 06:43:17 AM by Intell »

Oh please. Regardless of where you are on the American political spectrum, it is obvious Brazil is in a state of malaise. They need fresh, clean, technocratic leadership and a market-friendly economic jump-start to put them back on the path to prosperity, progress, and stability. You won't get that from Bolsonario or Worker's Party repeat. Once GDP is growing at over 3% again instead of shrinking can we talk about wealth redistribution. (Also, it is an objective fact that France is doing better under Macron than his predecessors, but you just don't like him because muh neoliberal elitism.)
lmao

Lol no.

Also don't people with your ideology support Marina Silva anyway? Why not her?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »

So I'm the only Alckmin voter? RIP Atlas lol
I'm definitely in for Alckmin. He may very well be a Brazilian Macron.

To be fair you're the only Alckmin voter now since I completely forgot NOVO and Amoêdo. Since Alckmin is a hopeless cause I might as well support the even more hopeless cause I agree with more. Can my vote be changed from Alckmin to Amoêdo Tongue?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 06:58:38 AM »

So I'm the only Alckmin voter? RIP Atlas lol
I'm definitely in for Alckmin. He may very well be a Brazilian Macron.
That is the fear, yes.
Oh please. Regardless of where you are on the American political spectrum, it is obvious Brazil is in a state of malaise. They need fresh, clean, technocratic leadership and a market-friendly economic jump-start to put them back on the path to prosperity, progress, and stability. You won't get that from Bolsonario or Worker's Party repeat. Once GDP is growing at over 3% again instead of shrinking can we talk about wealth redistribution. (Also, it is an objective fact that France is doing better under Macron than his predecessors, but you just don't like him because muh neoliberal elitism.)
The problem of Brazil isn't ideological or even economic, in my view, it's the way they function. The very weak structure of the Brazilian government contaminates everything. A country with the size of Brazil cannot be mined by corruption, managed by paying votes for legislation or to gain power in the government, but that's the way it is run. Brazil needs a political and electoral reform that lowers the choice to just 4 or 5 major parties, form left to right, more accountability from voters towards their members, a territorial reform that divides the power of the federal and state governments and a broad consensus to form a strong social welfare state. Brazil is a very rich country, if the State becomes more stable and reliable, the Brazilian economy would grow considerably, without major reforms, and poverty would easily be lowered.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »

lmao

Lol no.

Also don't people with your ideology support Marina Silva anyway? Why not her?
Silva is great, but Alckmin has a semi-credible shot of winning. I also think he'd have marginally stronger economic policies and be a more effective administrator. They're both good options, and I wish they'd run on a ticket together.
seb_pard
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2018, 02:12:50 PM by seb_pard »

Honestly I think the problem with Brazil is that the economy is plagued with distortions. The federal government and the states have too many taxes, tariffs and subsidies too maintain a "strong industry" in the country. The problem is that has been translated in a clientelistic relationship between the state and the private sector. Is crazy that some companies that sell product A in state X is better sometimes to produce a part in state X, move the product to state Z to finish the production there and then move A from Z to X to pay less taxes/earn more subsidies. There are many industries that only survived with help from strong tariffs and other import barriers.

The result from the thing above is that the state spend a lot of money in some industries that are impossible to erase due to the relationship between the industry owners and the government. These philosophy is supported abroad by the left and right. At the end with a state that spend a lot of money in these kind of policies and also with a high deficit the first thing to erase are social programs aimed to help the poor (at least the excellent program Bolsa Familia is apparently broadly supported).

The other problem is the pension system, in which the state, despite having a young population, spend almost 10% of GDP in this system. People in Brazil retire at a very young age and military pensions are  incredible high (and it can be hereditary in many cases if the army-men has a unmarried daughter).

Is not a surprised that the country has a systematic corruption due to the nature of the economy.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 11:45:52 AM »

Regardless of where you are on the American political spectrum, it is obvious Brazil is in a state of malaise. They need fresh, clean, technocratic leadership and a market-friendly economic jump-start to put them back on the path to prosperity, progress, and stability.

($0.05 has been deposited into your account)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »

Regardless of where you are on the American political spectrum, it is obvious Brazil is in a state of malaise. They need fresh, clean, technocratic leadership and a market-friendly economic jump-start to put them back on the path to prosperity, progress, and stability.

Love my $orosBux. But honestly, Brazil is one of the least economically free countries in the world--well worse than France or China. They have the ingredients to be a first world country, but they need liberalization desperately.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:13 AM »

Either Gomes or Haddad for me.

In runoff, #NeverBolsonaro (#NuncaBolsonaro)!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 03:50:53 AM »

Love my $orosBux. But honestly, Brazil is one of the least economically free countries in the world--well worse than France or China. They have the ingredients to be a first world country, but they need liberalization desperately.

Wasn't that supposed to be Temer's role? Also let's be real, neither Gomes nor Haddad are economic illiterates like, say, Chavez (or, for that matter, Bolsanaro): Ciro was one of the most successful Ministers of Finance Brazil has seen, ending the hyperinflation crisis; Haddad is an academic economist.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »

Wasn't that supposed to be Temer's role? Also let's be real, neither Gomes nor Haddad are economic illiterates like, say, Chavez (or, for that matter, Bolsanaro): Ciro was one of the most successful Ministers of Finance Brazil has seen, ending the hyperinflation crisis; Haddad is an academic economist.
I don't have confidence in them not to have to the pensionistas.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies