Opinion of the Basket of Deplorables comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:17:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Basket of Deplorables comment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Opinion:
Freedom Comment

Horrible Comment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Opinion of the Basket of Deplorables comment  (Read 1793 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »

Freedom comment, of course. One of my favorite moments of the 2016 campaign. Smiley
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »

HC. Saying only half of Trumps supporters belonged in the basket was giving his voters way too much credit
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:21:31 PM »

HC. Saying only half of Trumps supporters belonged in the basket was giving his voters way too much credit

Yeah, Hillary was way too generous.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »

Freedom comment because it probably cost Hillary the election Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:54 PM »

LOL, how absurd. You really think millions of Americans based their vote on this comment? It was already a distant memory by election day anyway.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »

LOL, how absurd. You really think millions of Americans based their vote on this comment? It was already a distant memory by election day anyway.
Could've tipped the scales in WI, MI, and PA.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2018, 09:07:53 PM by IceSpear »

Could've tipped the scales in WI, MI, and PA.

If it was enough to tip ~77,000 votes in those states combined, then you're talking hundreds of thousands of votes or potentially even millions of votes nationally. Does that past your smell test? Most people who were offended about it were already solid Trump supporters. And if the comment had that big of an impact, then Hillary wouldn't have had big leads in the polls from Access Hollywood (which was after basket of deplorables) until the Comey letter. In fact, it had barely budged her numbers at all, which were already in decline during that period of time for unrelated reasons. Even thinking it flipped Michigan alone is a stretch, because it would mean 11,000 individuals who wouldn't have otherwise voted for Trump did so solely because Hillary used the phrase "basket of deplorables" 2 months ago, which is silly. Especially when you account for how short the attention span of the average American is, much less the average "swing voter."
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »

Freedom Comment, clearly.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »

Even truer now.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »

It was aimed at millions of decent, hardworking Americans whose social and religious views Hillary Clinton, personally, cannot abide.  It was aimed at far more than "extremists" and the "alt-right".

It was aimed at my wife and I, and millions like us.

Voting for Donald Trump was the easiest Republican vote I have cast in my life.  This is a former Democratic Party activist speaking; a person raised in a household of Democrats where Adlai Stevenson was my Mother's #1 FF.  Hillary made it easy.  I may well vote for Democrats in the future, but I'll NEVER vote for a Democrat I consider to be a Clintonite.  Period.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »

Hillary Clinton was bad, but hating her for this out of context "gaffe" is dumb.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »

Completely accurate.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »

It was aimed at millions of decent, hardworking Americans whose social and religious views Hillary Clinton, personally, cannot abide.  It was aimed at far more than "extremists" and the "alt-right".

Voting for Donald Trump was the easiest Republican vote I have cast in my life.  This is a former Democratic Party activist speaking; a person raised in a household of Democrats where Adlai Stevenson was my Mother's #1 FF.  Hillary made it easy.  I may well vote for Democrats in the future, but I'll NEVER vote for a Democrat I consider to be a Clintonite.  Period.

Because Trump never aimed at millions of decent, hardworking Americans with his rhetoric?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »

HP of course

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »

Accurate comment.

Also:

Because Trump never aimed at millions of decent, hardworking Americans with his rhetoric?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »

But Hillary personally may have  attacked people like Fuzzy Bear .
Ohioguy29

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 11:13:00 PM »

At the time I didn't really care, and I even gave her credit for not smearing all Trump supporters. Now I'm like, if I condemn Romney for his 47% comment (and I do), then I shouldn't abide by this either. Writing off a huge chunk of America as irredeemable isn't just politically stupid, it's wrong. There are deplorables in America, of course, but half of all Trump supporters? Incredibly divisive and insulting.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 11:21:42 PM »

There are deplorables in America, of course, but half of all Trump supporters?

Yeah, she way lowballed it.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 11:29:03 PM »

Sure. Politically - because it showed absolute stupidity of Hillary: sane politician doesn't speak in this way, ESPECIALLY when she hunts for votes. In additition to being absolutely idiotic, this showed "human side" of her too: callous, naughty and, again, stupid. I know persons in my family, who decided to vote for Trump after that in protest. And they voted for Obama before. In short - with this comment Hillary has shown himself to be as foolish as Trump was. But everyone knew that about Trump, so it wasn't important. Discovery of the same features in Democratic candidate was VERY unpleasant surprise.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
- HRC

Hmmmm

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 04:42:36 AM »

Freedom comment because it probably [helped] cost Hillary the election Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 05:37:53 AM »

Kind of funny given Hillary's non-POTUS status.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »

Would you vote for a Sanderite
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »

Would you vote for a Sanderite

Possibly for Bernie, less so for his minions.  And it would depend on what the choice was.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies