Question about the Federalist Party (Hamilton, etc.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:09:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Question about the Federalist Party (Hamilton, etc.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about the Federalist Party (Hamilton, etc.)  (Read 425 times)
edgyhistorian7
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »

I am doing a personal research and I have come upon something that I am not finding evidence for. It has been reputed by several in my search that the Federalist Party believed that only the wealthiest and most educated should govern. However I cannot find any evidence that confirms this "belief". Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Not trying to start any debate over the question just want to find something that confirms this. I haven't found one yet.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »

here's some quotes I remember, there's tons more where that came fun, have fun Mr. Edgy Historian Number 7

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: Letter from John Adams to James Sullivan dated 26 May 1776

Source: Federalist Paper 68

Source: "Thoughts on Government" written in 1776
edgyhistorian7
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »

Thanks much!!!

It seems Adams speaks more to the financial part, whereas Hamilton the educational. And, both are considered Federalist party leaders.

I am just reading a lot of misinformation, not sure that is the proper word since its is hard to judge whether or not the information is deliberately deceitful.

But again, thanks!!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »

It seems Adams speaks more to the financial part, whereas Hamilton the educational. And, both are considered Federalist party leaders.
But again, thanks!!
Sort of. When Adams talks about "men . . . wholly destitute of Property," he's specifically talking about the landless class (land being the most common and most valuable form of property) —so it's not a question of financial standing so much as having a permanent vested interest in the community. The reasoning behind restricting the franchise to landholders is that unskilled laborers who lack a property investment are dependent on the wage market, and so may be more easily swayed by demagogues and vote buyers; whereas landholders are (theoretically) self-sufficient, and so will come to a disinterested, independent judgement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies